SIGforum
Facebook/Craigslist scammers

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9470038494

September 15, 2022, 03:27 PM
Tn226
Facebook/Craigslist scammers
I listed some wheels & tires for sale. Six responses - 6 scammers. Yeah it isn’t unexpected but what I’d like to do to those assholes ————-
September 15, 2022, 03:32 PM
P250UA5
Yep, par for the course.
I listed a blown engine earlier this year, half dozen spammers and 2 that I had to vet a bit before having serious discussion with.
2nd ended up buying it. Pretty funny pulling an engine out of your trunk.

The Enemy's gate is down.
September 15, 2022, 09:11 PM
Rick Lee
I have a guitar on CL and FB Marketplace now. Nothing but scammer responses. One was based in Bulgaria, his FB name was in Cyrillic, said he'd have his brother in Phoenix come pick it up. LOL. Who falls for this stuff?
September 15, 2022, 09:18 PM
smschulz
How were they scamming you?
Curious on the details.
September 15, 2022, 09:49 PM
sigmonkey
Most of them are profiles created the same day as your listing, typically a young woman photo (about 20 yo), no friends or post history, and they want it right now, listing a phone number to call them, and respond about 5 minutes later getting pissy if you do not reply/call.

They stop after a few messages, when you don't reply/respond.

I do not even reply to them.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
September 16, 2022, 12:32 AM
LS1 GTO
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Most of them are profiles created the same day as your listing, typically a young woman photo (about 20 yo), no friends or post history, and they want it right now, listing a phone number to call them, and respond about 5 minutes later getting pissy if you do not reply/call.

They stop after a few messages, when you don't reply/respond.

I do not even reply to them.

Wrong section of Craigslist.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

September 16, 2022, 12:53 AM
sigmonkey
LOL.

I meant the FarceBook MarketPlace. Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
September 16, 2022, 09:30 AM
selogic
They want me to send them a " code " or some other such bullshit . I asked why and they said it was to verify if the ad was legit . I told them to meet me at the location and have cash in hand if they wanted to verify anything . I don't play any of those games .
September 16, 2022, 10:43 AM
mcrimm
I have sold about 6 things on Craigslist and Marketplace in the past 3 months. The instant response is generally always a scammer in broken English. I don't respond. Usually in a day or two, a legitimate buyer surfaces. There response is obviously a non-shithead.

Conversely, if I'm a buyer, I make my first contact clear that I am a real buyer.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
September 16, 2022, 11:15 AM
Tn226
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
How were they scamming you?
Curious on the details.

Typical approach.

Somehow they're hijacking existing but currently unused, profiles. No idea how that can be done

First hint - Said he's out of town but his brother could pick up.

2nd hint - said he couldn't use anything but Zelle and wanted my email address - which hasn't anything to do with Zelle (at least in my case)

Told him to send the money to his brother and he could bring the cash.

That was the end of that.

The others were similar. Several didn't respond after I told them cash only
September 16, 2022, 12:57 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:

said he couldn't use anything but Zelle and wanted my email address - which hasn't anything to do with Zelle (at least in my case)
A buyer can send Zelle payments to you using either your email address, or your cell phone number.

Something else you can do, use Zelle to send a "Request For Payment" to the other party, again using either the other party's email address or cell number. That way, the other person can just click on your request and does not need to enter your email address or your cell number.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
September 16, 2022, 05:05 PM
CoolRich59
I will use FB Marketplace to buy small stuff.

If I see what I’m looking for, I’ll just message the seller and ask if it’s still available. If it is, I say ‘I’ll take it. When and where can we meet?’

I don’t have the time or inclination to play games or quibble over a $20 item. But, scammers and hagglers must be a plague, because I’ve had sellers express relief that I’m being for real.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant
September 17, 2022, 10:57 AM
phil in indy
I just posted several items on Craigslist from my brother-in-laws estate. About 6 hours later I get two messages 1 minute apart with Hindu? names about the same item. Both with exactly the same message. SURE!!!!!
September 18, 2022, 09:25 AM
Tn226
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:

said he couldn't use anything but Zelle and wanted my email address - which hasn't anything to do with Zelle (at least in my case)
A buyer can send Zelle payments to you using either your email address, or your cell phone number.

Something else you can do, use Zelle to send a "Request For Payment" to the other party, again using either the other party's email address or cell number. That way, the other person can just click on your request and does not need to enter your email address or your cell number.

I rarely use it but, as I understand it, it’s either/or but not both. The only thing linked to Zelle at my bank is my phone number. No expert though
September 18, 2022, 09:29 AM
Edmond
I always use an address of a business close to me. I tell them to message me when they get there. It’s a 1 minute drive for me. Had too many idiots not bother showing up so I don’t leave my house until they are there.

September 18, 2022, 10:05 AM
220-9er
It's cash, in person, and if the word "kindly" shows up anywhere then you know they are Nigerian, Indian or Pakistani and not from my area code.

September 18, 2022, 10:46 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

if the word "kindly" shows up anywhere then you know they are Nigerian, Indian or Pakistani
May I know if your wheelbarrow is still available?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
September 18, 2022, 06:41 PM
VBVAGUY
Yeah I am trying to sell some items on FaceBook Market place:

Thank you for reading how I have fun when I sell something and a scammer tries to contact me. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."
September 20, 2022, 07:22 AM
400m
I’m going to show my ignorance. I’ve never sold an item online. What part of the interaction is a scam? Are they trying to receive goods with bullshit payment, or are they trying to get personal information from you to use in other nefarious ways?
September 29, 2022, 05:37 PM
bigwagon
Not really a scam, but nothing annoys me more about FB Marketplace than the automated "Is this still available" response they program into Messenger. Why idiots click this when they have no intention or interest in buying is beyond me, unless they are either clueless idiots or assholes, both of which are distinct possibilities with FB.