SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gunbroker “compliance fee”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunbroker “compliance fee” Login/Join 
posted
Not sure if it’s already been posted, but got an email today saying gunbroker is going to start charging all buyers a compliance fee, which is collected by the sellers and then forwarded to gunbroker.

Apparently this is to help cover costs for gunbroker having to keep up with laws. Sorry to cut into your profits a little by you having to keep up with the laws for your business you stupid bastards.

I don’t mind online business requiring sales tax to be collected as it helps even the playing field for local businesses to be able to compete. But I don’t like the way gunbroker assesses these fees even if the seller never gets paid by some scummy bidder then makes it a pain in the ass to get the taxes and selling fees back.

And here’s just another fee they can make it difficult to recoup

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Keep up with the laws? What exactly do they mean by that?

I keep hearing this stuff about gunbroker and none of it is good. I guess I'm done with them. Seems like all they do these days is invent new ways to pick your pocket.

Has their been an ownership change recently?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I think they shot themselves in the foot and will slowly loose business as people get fed up and go else where.

Maybe their business dropped off due to the virus and people not working.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quote from gunbrokers Site

The Compliance Fee is a fee assessed by GunBroker.com and added to the price of the Item at the time of purchase. The U.S. states have been very active in passing new laws applicable to GunBroker.com, including in the areas of taxation, privacy and firearms. These laws have increased the compliance costs of GunBroker.com substantially.

The compliance fee is currently 1% of the purchase price of the item

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I may eventually have a pistol for sale. I won't be selling it on GB.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
In the last year, we've seen gun stores with nothing left but a .410 single shot and a broken RG revolver. Gunbroker's business should have gone through the roof, should have been the best ever in its existence.

It sounds to me as if they're simply greedy and foolish.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think you are right. I am getting out of guns except for a few. I will sell to friends, etc. It is amazing the stuff you acquire over a life time of shooting. I still have about 700 pounds of 7 1/2 shot and 500 pounds of linotype.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:...

Yes. June 2021 they were acquired by AMMO, Inc.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Fuck these greedy SOBs. Glad I'm done with them.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
In the last year, we've seen gun stores with nothing left but a .410 single shot and a broken RG revolver. Gunbroker's business should have gone through the roof, should have been the best ever in its existence.

Exactly. I watched gunbroker auctions all last year. $800+ glocks, $1500+ Century AK-47’s… and they make a % of the sale price so if all the gun prices go up their fees go up. You might say there wasn’t as much stuff on there because dealers couldn’t get as much stuff, but everything was selling. Normal times on gunbroker there’s a ton of stuff but a lot of it doesn’t ever sell…. Everything was selling for ridiculous prices last year.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Oh that’s why Ammo incs stock went up…. I’m terrible at investing I just pick things that look entertaining and if it goes up that’s cool.. I’m proudly no longer own any Ammo inc stock so fuck them…. And gunbroker

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Exactly. I watched gunbroker auctions all last year. $800+ glocks, $1500+ Century AK-47’s… and they make a % of the sale price so if all the gun prices go up their fees go up. You might say there wasn’t as much stuff on there because dealers couldn’t get as much stuff, but everything was selling. Normal times on gunbroker there’s a ton of stuff but a lot of it doesn’t ever sell…. Everything was selling for ridiculous prices last year.

I was in our local gun store a while back. They have a wall about 20 feet high, 30 feet long, literally covered with long guns, mostly ARs. The wall was bare! Talked to the clerks and was told they were having trouble finding guns to sell. Incredible demand and apparently limited production.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Can you imagine the price tag for that sale.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
With or without the bullshit fees attached?

What's good for the goose...

Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I guess the question here would be: How did this effect armslist when they started doing this a few months ago? If it didn't negatively effect their numbers and gunbroker saw that, I'd be willing to wager that's why they started.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
Quote from gunbrokers Site

The Compliance Fee is a fee assessed by GunBroker.com and

added to the price of the Item at the time of purchase. The U.S. states have been very active in passing new laws applicable to GunBroker.com, including in the areas of taxation, privacy and firearms. These laws have increased the compliance costs of GunBroker.com substantially.

The compliance fee is currently 1% of the purchase price of the item

Cost of doing business. They wont be passing it on to me.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had any problem selling a gun by word of mouth or using a local gun forum I belong to . Screw all those fees , shipping issues , etc.

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's pure greed. As noted, this is a cost of business that is borne by all companies that engage in interstate mail order commerce. But GB essentially has no direct competition and many sellers stick with them because they have a near monopoly in online gun auctions. While there are other options to sell, GB tends to generate pretty good results for most sellers, especially during these pandemic times where there is so much demand and surplus cash chasing supply. I've sold quite a few guns locally and on forums, and I'm sure in a few cases I could have benefitted from a bidding war between a couple of "must have" buyers, but that's the chance you take.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
It is Just Another way of Somebody Gouging the Gun buyers. They Charge the Buyer and the Seller A percentage.

Posts: 1602 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Between the last two sellers I've dealt with and the fees, I no longer have a use for GB.

Not a bad thing, it's now more economical and beneficial to buy from LGS. Support local businesses, See the gun in person, better price and don't have to worry about any mishaps in transit.

Fuck em.

Posts: 59 | Location: NW Burbs of Illinois | Registered: June 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post