SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Show up to work, man!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Show up to work, man! Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I'm sure I'm not the only one with this rant....

When the cooties came on, tens of thousands of people got into the whole work-from-home bit. Good for them... comfy clothes, TV and fridge, dog at their side. Whoopty-doo, good for you. The rest of us continued to show up every day.

What this has bred is a ginormous crowd of "remotes" sending emails to the "locals"-- "hey, I need you to _____," or "who can go pack and ship this," or "will someone go to Receiving and look for _____?"

Bloody show up, man! Be something more than a demander and an email forwarder!

It's time for everyone to get back to the site/office/plant and resume pulling their weight.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Agree, it's presenting a challenge, with the tighter work force companies are having to fill openings with people who want to stay home and work.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Our CEO and COO explained that a core value of the company was daily physical interaction. We were back at work, safely, about June 2020. Extenuating circumstances were handled by exception and not made to be a policy.

A nearby F500 company built a huge campus, millions of dollars. Now vacant. WFH dominates.

I don’t know how we will ever get back to the past. I’m told time travel is impossible.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
In March 2020 my employer told us we all had to start working from home. Only a couple dozen people were allowed to keep working on-site, as they needed to be there to provide IT support, manage shipping & receiving, stuff that can't be done remotely. But it was only going to be for 30 to 60 days until the hysteria subsided. Two years later we're still working remotely and they've decided to lease out two floors of the five story building we used to work in.

I've got used to working at home in spite of the distractions, but I've had enough. A year from now, hopefully, I'll be retired and moved the hell out of Oregon.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I know..my job is severely understaffed. People calling out.

I am beat. 500 hours overtime this year and my knee is on its last leg Smile

Posts: 7796 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

I don’t know how we will ever get back to the past. I’m told time travel is impossible.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My place of work finally told people to get back to work 3 days a week. Mostly it was admin people that stayed home. Those of us that managed the line workers and the line workers have been showing up everyday. So it was co7ld you grab this or mail that. What a pa8n. Now those of us managers are trying to push everything back where it came from. What a pita. Of course welll I’ve haven’t done that for two years why should I,do it now. Because t is your damn job

Posts: 63 | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I'm one of a two man team.

I like my coworker, but man...He really gets under my skin. He's salaried, I'm not. I'm there every day for 8 hours. I come in, clock in between 0600 and 0630, and go get started for the day, and leave at 1400-1430 like clockwork. If I'm going to be out, I always text and let him know (the one time I didn't remember to I woke up to angry texts from him telling me to let him know next time). My boss told me "keep it around 40 hours when you can" and I do.

He isn't lazy, but I'm beginning to feel taken advantage of with regard to time worked and communication. He frequently doesn't show up until after 0900 (been getting later and later lately) and usually leaves pretty close to the same time I do. He's usually got weekend/overnight call-in duty, but that almost never happens. He usually doesn't let me know what's up until I call him around 1000 wondering if he's coming in at all. Last week I just didn't call Monday and he never reached out to me.

Me getting taken advantage of is when I start actively considering walking out on the job (there's some history there with a past employer that I'm not willing to get into in public).

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did an amazing 10 million dollar preservation on an old building downtown 8 years ago and we have not had anyone back to the office since Covid. We are subleasing the entire building.

I don't like commuting but I'm one of the unusual I guess because I like being at work while working more than being at home by myself. It's definitely just a job at home.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'll drop in this morning to make an exception to my own rant. One of our tooling designers has a terrible commute, and was just about to quit altogether because of it. He does awesome work, and isn't a guy we'd want to lose. Word got up the chain a couple of levels, and the big dogs set him up so he could work from home. He's loving it, and thriving.

One of the differences in his case, though, is that he's super strict. He gets up each morning, has breakfast with the wife and wishes her well for the day, gets "dressed for work" and heads down the hall to his office. He's there for the day. All work, no window. I'm told you can't even get him to BS a little if you call him -- he's "all business, all day" until quitting time. And, he's not one of those who'll call in asking someone else to take care of things for him.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
We have a few of those work from home parasites and I make their lives a living hell.

I will stall one of their projects with a simple question until they come in and physically address the issue.

It's not that they NEED to work from home, it's that I am interfering with their side gig on company time. I relish their frustration.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post