SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    So, we got 8" in four hours again, with 16" total this week. Welcome to Spring, dangit.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, we got 8" in four hours again, with 16" total this week. Welcome to Spring, dangit. Login/Join 
Banned
posted
And OF COURSE it ran down the base rock driveway AGAIN cutting a channel directly at the house AGAIN which elevated the water table AGAIN flooding the recently upholstered finished basement AGAIN.

We keep it picked up this time of year and been thru the drill before. Too much runoff defeated a berm curb and bit me again. So we vacuumed water for three hours, and I managed runoff by diverting as much as I could.

Time to put a few truckloads on this drive and really slope it to divert water. Asphalt? Hand me a winning lottery ticket.

It was valley wide in the intermittent streambed behind the house, lifted and floated off a brush pile, left a decent 4x4 treated timber and a rail tie. 6 ft deep in the stream bed according to the trash and it will likely alter all the gravel bars again. Might cut me off from access, can't tell yet.

And yes our house is on TOP of the 30 ft sloping hill but all the flat runoff up here runs down our lane for me to manage. Time for a skid steer and some large scale serious swales and berms. Enough is enough.

Inspection this morning I already heard equipment in the distance and I probably got off lucky, there are all the usual low water bridges flooded and highways closed. In MO the newer ones from 1970 up are elevated but the approaches are still river grades so meh. Dozens of roads closed, another half inch and as the system proceeds east it makes it worse - being on the backside of the Ozarks our cricks and rivers run north and west, strangely enough. It adds to the downstream flooding here a day later. OH well.

It's headed east, if you have water issues consider the 12" it did here over a few days in your plans for the weekend.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Current map of MODOT roads with dozens flooded out.

This will change daily so not a record of what happened when someone reads the thread in a week.

https://traveler.modot.org/map/

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Where is all this happening?
(Sorry to hear about your bad luck.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
recently upholstered finished basement

Rain aside, we're gonna need to see pics of this you know....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the heavy rainfall..... 2016 had a event that lasted 2 1/2 days of solid heavy rain which deposited approx 33inches of rain in my area and with the semi flat terrain here there was really no where for it to rapidly leave the area.. Caused a major flood event that was classified as a "1000 year flood" which deposited 41inches of flood water in our home. Lost 99% of every thing in the home plus wifes car / my truck and motorcycle. We are still dealing with some things in the rebuilding process....We are in a no flood zone but you can only do so much to try and contain or redirect "Mother Natures" actions. Best of luck. .............................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's Phoenix
It will be dry in a few days

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know some people are "over blessed" with rain but the last measurable rain we had (1/4") was 10/1/21. Tomorrow the high is forecast to be 100+. Welcome to the South Plains of Texas!

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Not sure we’ve had 16” total since 2020.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of all the flooding miseries!

In Northern VA it looks like Ireland...when it is not overcast and raining. Very cool spring and loads of cloudy and rainy days. But fortunately, not much heavy rain.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Where is all this happening? (Sorry to hear about your bad luck.)
Appears to be Missouri.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post