SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Suicide at Local Gun Range
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suicide at Local Gun Range Login/Join 
posted
Yesterday at a local indoor range, a young man shot himself to death. Facts are limited at this time, but I do know who he is and casually know his father. Not much else can be said. It sucks.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terrible news. Prayers for all.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who has not dealt with BUDS?? I think they have the bulk of the online business.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This happened at my LGS range maybe 7-8 years ago. They will no longer allow lone, non members to walk in and rent a gun and go into the range by themselves. You have to be a member or be with another person as the suicide there was a guy off the street who walked in, rented a gun then proceeded to blow his head off. Eek

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
sad indeed.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
This happened at my LGS range maybe 7-8 years ago. They will no longer allow lone, non members to walk in and rent a gun and go into the range by themselves. You have to be a member or be with another person as the suicide there was a guy off the street who walked in, rented a gun then proceeded to blow his head off. Eek

the local range has a similar policy after a woman rented a gun and shot herself with it. All lone customers using rentals require staff to call a family member for permission to rent.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is your LGS Classic Pistol? This is probably a good policy to implement for all gun ranges.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you consider that 50,000 people will take their own lives next year.
It's not too surprising.

Interjecting others in to your death plan is pretty inconsiderate, why include them, unless it's a spite thing.

It's one thing for the coroner or funeral home to come for your remains, it's in their line of work ,
heck you might have even prepaid for the service.

I can't abide by this practice, there needs to either be drastically more help with people who care or training, available

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
quote:
This happened at my LGS range maybe 7-8 years ago. They will no longer allow lone, non members to walk in and rent a gun and go into the range by themselves.

the local range has a similar policy ...

As does the one at which one of my best friends and I meet every month to shoot. They also had one of these incidents a few years back.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indoor range, a guy offed himself. He was in the fourth stall. All six stalls were full.
Many people were in the observation hallway. Absolutely horrible.

The range closed several days & the owner cut out that section of indoor carpet, replacing just that one square with a totally different color. I tried going back but it gave me the willies.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The manner in which people kill themselves says a lot about their personality. Clearly, shooting yourself at a gun range is different than going out to the woods and doing it. However, it is preferable to running your car head on into an innocent family of five.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can think of two at one local indoor range and another after they moved and changed ownership.

Another local place had a pair.

One more local range had at least one.

Some of the above occurred with other shooters on the range.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm in the minority here but if I owned a range no way in hell would I rent guns to the general public.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe I'm in the minority here but if I owned a range no way in hell would I rent guns to the general public.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Should be a required safety course first and some observation of skills. I bet the liability coverage on a range is quite high. Still if someone is determined to kill themselves there is not much you can do. There is never enough information given in these stories about the deceased to reach any conclusion.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
One of the local ranges that rents has a "bring one rent one" policy. i.e. if you want to rent, you must demonstrate that you already own a gun. The idea is that if you wanted to shoot yourself you would have, with the one you already owned.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

Has happened at least once in Bellevue WA indoor range same MO and you can’t shoot by yourself there unless you bring some of your own guns. I got my previous brother in law thrown out of the same place. He was a convicted child molester, his own daughter no less. He left without a fuss when I told the RSO about him. Was there with his by then grown up son and they rented their guns there.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:

Is your LGS Classic Pistol? This is probably a good policy to implement for all gun ranges.

It was French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville, PA

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Its happened here a few years back, one was a woman that took her son to the range, rented two guns, killed him and herself in the range, she had mental issues obviously.

Shortly after a man rented a gun and killed himself at the same location.

Link

They stopped renting guns for a while after that.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a couple of people do that at the range I worked in the mid 90's.

It really is such a selfish thing to do. Makes a mess out of everything.

I heard through the grape vine many years later one of the owners committed suicide but used sleeping pills and a plastic bag instead of a gun. I have often wondered if their reasoning for this was seeing the aftermath of using a firearm all those years ago.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I worked at a gun store and range a few years ago on the weekends. We had a regular come in one morning by himself. He had his range bag, rented a .44 Mag and went to the range. A few minutes went by and we heard a strange sounding shot from the range.

The Guy had shot himself in the head with the .44. He laid newspaper on the floor, had a bible opened, a bottle and glass of champagne and smoked a cigarette prior to pulling the trigger.

I'll never forget that.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post