SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    County sent me an application for a "lifetime" dog license.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

County sent me an application for a "lifetime" dog license. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Really?

If I remember correctly, this license is usually five bucks for three years. Now the county offers me a "lifetime" license for $25.

Confused

$25 would buy me 15 years' worth of "regular" licensing... Miss Wondermutt is 15 already.

[I'm sure nobody at the county pays any attention to this, and even the system isn't programmed to look at it but ... this particular dog is listed by name on the application. Programmed right, the system could have seen that I've been paying license fees for this dog for about 15 years already. Just how long do they think dogs live?]

I fail to see the benefit. Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Transferable?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Good question, Paul.

I don't see any mention of it on this form, and honestly after this Lab crosses the bridge I won't have another for a good long time.

I do see now on the form that the current license doesn't expire until July of '22. I'm not sure she'll make it that long.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
What county? I think we did that a few years ago in Hanover County

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Are they talking the dog's lifetime or yours?
Big difference in concept there.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Good point, Bob! Big Grin

95: it's Montgomery.

God bless America.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
They did this because someone realized that many people will just pay the $25 and be good with it. They don’t have to remember to renew or anything. Just $25 convenient and done.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Are they talking the dog's lifetime or yours?
Big difference in concept there.

That’s the first thing I thought of.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
You have to have a licence for a dog?!?

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: "Pursuant to the Code of Virginia 3.2-6529, veterinarians are required to notify localities when a dog is vaccinated for rabies. If the Treasurer determines that the owner of a dog has failed to purchase a license within 90 days of vaccination, the Treasurer shall notify the owner and request that the owner submit the original certificate of rabies vaccination and pay the appropriate fee. If after 30 days of notice, the owner still has not purchased a dog license, the Treasurer shall provide Animal Control with the name and address of the dog owner."

Cynical answer: "if you do the right thing, then go ahead and pay us for your having done so."

God bless America.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I'm sure nobody at the county pays any attention to this, and even the system isn't programmed to look at it but ... this particular dog is listed by name on the application. Programmed right, the system could have seen that I've been paying license fees for this dog for about 15 years already. Just how long do they think dogs live?

I fail to see the benefit. Razz

Uhhh, it's the Gov't....They DON'T Think! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I remember correctly, this license is usually five bucks for three years. Now the county offers me a "lifetime" license for $25.

I wish. I just renewed the county license for one of my two dogs. It was $83 for 2 years.

quote:
Longer answer: "Pursuant to the Code of Virginia 3.2-6529, veterinarians are required to notify localities when a dog is vaccinated for rabies. If the Treasurer determines that the owner of a dog has failed to purchase a license within 90 days of vaccination, the Treasurer shall notify the owner and request that the owner submit the original certificate of rabies vaccination and pay the appropriate fee. If after 30 days of notice, the owner still has not purchased a dog license, the Treasurer shall provide Animal Control with the name and address of the dog owner."

So the county just got told by the Vet that the dog was vaccinated for rabies, but they want you to provide proof of vaccination for rabies. They wouldn't even be contacting you if they didn't already have the proof in hand! Bureaucrats never cease to amaze me with their idiocy.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So the county just got told by the Vet that the dog was vaccinated for rabies, but they want you to provide proof of vaccination for rabies. They wouldn't even be contacting you if they didn't already have the proof in hand! Bureaucrats never cease to amaze me with their idiocy.

Yeah, that's stupid. Incredibly stupid. In indiana, at least this part of it, we don't have to register dogs. However, it's illegal to "harbor a non-immunized dog." Basically, if your dog bites somebody, you have to provide proof to law enforcement that it is up to date on it's vaccinations...usually via documentation from the vet. I've taken numerous such reports...it's no big deal, just call your vet and have them fax it over. If your dog never bites anybody, the proof never needs to be provided, so FAR less paperwork and more efficient overall.

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
... this particular dog is listed by name on the application. Razz

So name the next dog the same!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

So name the next dog the same!
It worked for George Foreman.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
It worked for George Foreman.

Big Grin

In my best Gomez Addams voice: "A capital idea!"

God bless America.

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You have a corrupt county gov.
I had no idea you had to get such a thing.More freedoms eroded all the time for some damn polition

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

Remind me to cross Virginia off the places I'd move to. That's ridiculous.
Next thing, they'll want you to buy a license for your guns.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
You have a corrupt county gov.

I really hadn't looked at this like a corruption thing... I was just laughing/grouching about the ridiculousness of a "lifetime" license given that my dog's remaining lifetime is likely pretty short. Wink

God bless America.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Short answer: yes.

Cynical answer: "if you do the right thing, then go ahead and pay us for your having done so."

Dog licensing is pretty common all over the U.S. and yes, it's tied into Rabies vaccinations.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post