SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Taxes and homeowners insurance now more than my mortgage
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxes and homeowners insurance now more than my mortgage Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
Every year, around this time, between Christmas and New Years I have an annual review session with my insurance broker. As a broker their job is to scour the ends of the Earth to keep all my policies as low as possible. I have 4 policies. Auto policy went down 10% because I reluctantly used their “app” early last year and let big brother spy on my ass to get a deal.

Well a large part due to the freeze TX experienced earlier this year, my homeowners insurance for 2022 is going up $1000 per year. And that’s with switching me to a new homeowners carrier (that I have used before).

I mean a few hundred, OK, but mother fucker, $1000 increase? I did not make any freeze claims but I have to pay for everyone else that did. Have to love insurance.

What really fucking pisses me off is now my taxes on the house and insurance, both an obvious requirement to own a home, is more than my mortgage per year. I just refinanced the house last year due to the lower rates and kept it on a 30 year to keep my costs down. Well that just got eradicated today. I don’t have some fancy house either. Built in the late 70’s and I still need to remodel.

I’m underpaid at work so it’s time to find new employment to try and offset. Someone call me a paramedic.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12557 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You're a paramedic.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep, wait until your energy bill is more than the mortgage....

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Yep, wait until your energy bill is more than the mortgage....

...or Cable + Internet + Cell bills. Eek

Posts: 22843 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
you're working and earning money so everyone needs their cut.
by the way, extending your mortgage may lower your payment but not the cost

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Wow, a $1,000.00/year increase? That's almost as much as my total Homeowners insurance for a year and also close to my total property tax for a year.

Glad I live where I do.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Property Taxes are the annual reminder of the myth and fantasy of property ownership in this country, a neverending leash around ones neck, making sure nothing is ever "paid off", no land is ever actually owned, merely perpetually rented under a different label. It's an insidious practice.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow, a $1,000.00/year increase? That's almost as much as my total Homeowners insurance for a year and also close to my total property tax for a year.

Glad I live where I do.

^^^^^^^^
I live in hurricane alley and have seen big increases in homeowners insurance since 2005 and I do not live on the beach. Shit will happen in Gilbert someday like a haboob or maybe an Indian uprising.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

Glad I live where I do.

Same here. On all points. And we're maxed-out on homeowner's insurance--incl. full replacement cost and a rider called "code and ordinance."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25991 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
When my flood and hurricane insurance got to be $10,000 a year, I paid my mortgage off and quit paying the insurance. That was 17 years ago. My house is 2,450 sqft and was built in 1974. That 10,000 a year stayed in the S&P500 and will cover rebuilding my house at least 2 times over.

I’m not anti-insurance or anything, but at some point you have to look at it from a financial standpoint. I bought a motorcycle in 1998 for $10,000. I was shocked to find insurance was $5,000 a year. For fun, I asked what it would have been on Ducati 916; $600 a year. Shocked again. I still have my 1998 Kawasaki ZX9R, never had insurance on it, and had zero accidents in the 27,000 miles I put on it. In hindsight though, I should have bought a Ducati 916.

Posts: 10797 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
I see the reasoning. Do you have liability coverage for the guy who slips and falls or for theft??

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I wish I hadn’t opened this thread…I live in TX and I’m almost afraid to see if our homeowners is gonna go up…..we use TX Farm Bureau for the house and autos….

We plan on paying off the house in FEB , wonder what other kind of shitty stick I’m gonna get after that.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I hear you, I was at the courthouse today working with them to lower my property tax. AS HRK mentioned energy is going to be getting real expensive so enjoy our cheap energy while it lasts. And don't even get me started on insurance!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7033 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That seems outrageous for an insurance jump. I would be shopping around.

Now don’t get me started on property tax.

If I had a mortgage I would have to move.

Posts: 3872 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
That seems outrageous for an insurance jump.

Probably everything too due with the cost of getting anything done with today's pricing. Frown

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Well, there’s one thing to be said for CA, prop 13 and property taxes limited to 2%(?) increase

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
For those that got in on Prop 13 yes, it's good.

Take a look at property taxes for those who didn't and you'll have a heart attack.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Of course, homeowner's insurance is gonna go up. Imagine the cost of replacement, had your home burned down eight mos. ago. Remember when lumber was unobtanium? Everything is more expensive now and that's not going to change anytime soon.
Insurers are going to build that into folks' renewals. And with the crazy RE prices, of course, property taxes are going to skyrocket. They're already so low in AZ, I don't really care about the increase. I knew it would come eventually, and it's still way cheaper here than back east.

Posts: 3491 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Insurers are going to build that into folks' renewals. And with the crazy RE prices, of course, property taxes are going to skyrocket. They're already so low in AZ, I don't really care about the increase. I knew it would come eventually, and it's still way cheaper here than back east.

You're right about back East. One of the guys I shoot with every week was born, raised and spent his working life in New Jersey.

He retired here, lives a few miles South of me and when he bought his house, he asked what the property taxes would be. They told him $1,200.00 and he said "a month?" They told him no, a year.

He couldn't believe it was that cheap.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My property tax on a brand new 1800 sq. ft. 3/2 house is ~$1700/year, and full coverage insurance with all the bells and whistles is $1100/year. (Of course, it helps that we don't get hurricanes here, but damage from tornadoes or hail is common.)

Texas gets hit extra hard on property taxes, as a tradeoff for not having state income tax.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post