SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Apple Maps... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple Maps... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?! Login/Join 
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted
You choose a route, it sends you on a different path. What is the point of offering you options if it’s just going to direct you where IT wants??!! Today it took me somewhere completely different than the address I input.

So what map program do you all like and use? I need to find something different before I have a hemorrhage.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using Waze since it first came out.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I mostly use Google maps for phone or vehicle nav. I do have Waze, use it at times.

To me, the search with Google maps is more intuitive, simple & accurate.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm always surprised when I learn someone uses Apple Maps. I'm about 3/4 Waze and 1/4 Google Maps.

Every now and then I give it a 2nd chance and quickly realize what a mistake it was. It's absolutely awful in a big city with multilane freeways (e.g. 4, 5, 6, 7 lanes each direction). MF'ers will be recommending the left lane and then 50 feet later will tell you to right lane exit which is impossible.

I said 2nd chance because it was really off when it first came out years ago:
  • I was in Fairbanks heading towards the airport from a portion of town I had never been. Once I got close I knew where I was and the damn thing is trying to get me to turn into the private aviation area instead of heading to commercial aviation. No big deal for me as I knew where I was going by then and didn't think much of it. However, a week or two later one of Alaska's state reps/senators followed Apple Maps into private aviation, there was a gate open (should have been closed), he goes through the gate, and is driving on the tarmac of an international airport which prompted full LEO response and national media attention. Sure glad I didn't do the same a week or two earlier.
  • I had a layover in Hawaii coming back from Japan, and I was going to crash at my friend's place for a couple days. She gave me the address, told me her place was blue, and told me where the key was hidden (she was at work). I put it in Apple Maps and I pull up in front of a blue house, but it was a run down piece of shit that I couldn't picture my friend living at. Turns out it had me in the wrong spot by 2 miles and it was pure coincidence it was blue. No telling what would've happened if I went to the door and tried to let myself in.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of konata88
    posted Hide Post
    As much as it irks me, Google seems more reliable and more effective. Apple seems to be introducing increasing levels of annoying features while not making the primary duty (navigation) better.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
    "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of P250UA5
    posted Hide Post
    Waze 99% here.
    I pretty much only use Google maps for lookup & occasionally directions on the computer.
    Phone navigation is almost always Waze.

Came in handy on the motorcycle with a bar mount, as the bulb in the speedometer doesn't work.

When my wife first moved here from CA, she took her parents to the Blue Bell creamery, which is only about 45min-1hr away.
    Her Garmin took her down into Houston, & around, all freeways, which took closer to 2 hours each way. I was out of town in Vegas at the time.
    GPS is great, if you mostly know where you're going.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I Deal In Lead
    Picture of Flash-LB
    posted Hide Post
    I have Waze and it works great, but when I go on vacation I use Apple Maps for some reason.

They've never let me down or screwed up in the slightest, even when on obscure roads out in the middle of nowhere.

I have no idea about in the cities as I haven't used it in one very much.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Semper Fi - 1775
    Picture of Ronin1069
    posted Hide Post
    I’ve used Apple Maps since their first rollout. Maybe I’ve just gotten used to it, but for the most part I have no complaints.

This thread got me thinking so i did a quick search…though this was interesting.

TLDR: Apple is prettier but Google will get you there more effectively…

Apple Navigation vs. Google Navigation

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No, not like
    Bill Clinton
    Picture of BigSwede
    posted Hide Post
    Android Auto and Google maps, no regerts

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ronin1069:
    I’ve used Apple Maps since their first rollout. Maybe I’ve just gotten used to it, but for the most part I have no complaints.

I don't know about ever since its roll-out. We only started using Apple mobile devices in 2017. But we've been using Apple Maps since then.

I can recall only one time Apple Maps tried to lead me seriously astray--and ISTR I later figured out that had actually been my fault, after all.

That being said: Now I mostly use the navigation in my Jeep Uconnect system.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of mcrimm
    posted Hide Post
    I generally have Waze running on my Highlander's 12" big screen and a new Garmin DriveSmart on the dash. I use the Garmin to navigate and Waze for detail and warnings. I like both.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
    When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Don't Panic
    Picture of joel9507
    posted Hide Post
    Google is my go-to.

Never used Waze but it's highly regarded.

I put Apple Maps into a folder with a bunch of other Apple crapware, and hide the folder in the back of the UI.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Misanthropic Philanthrope
    Picture of MWC
    posted Hide Post
    I gave up on it. Downloaded Google Maps to my iPhone.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eschew Obfuscation
    posted Hide Post
    I try to avoid Google, but their Maps app blows Apple Maps away.

I often map out trips with multiple stops. Adding one or more stops in Google Maps is easy, and you can rearrange the stops to create the most efficient route. Apple Maps technically allows you to add stops, but I have never been able to make it work.

I also trusts the review ratings of businesses within Google Maps. Apple Maps ties to Yelp reviews which I think are complete bulls**t. I bailed on Yelp a couple of years ago when a disgruntled owner got Yelp to delete my negative review of his business.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
    posted Hide Post
    Waze’s warnings about police have greatly saved my bacon from speeding tickets and I prefer how it’s proactive about re-routing due to delays as compared to Google. Though I wonder how long Google will keep Waze around since they own it.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of side_shot
    posted Hide Post
    google owns waze

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    --Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Prefontaine
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ronin1069:

Same. I haven’t had any issues. It routes excellently. I use it and a V1. I still need to find something where I can input the specific routes I want to ride, and have it stick to that 100%.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His Royal Hiney
    Picture of Rey HRH
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Chowser:
    I’ve been using Waze since it first came out.

I switched to Waze from Google Maps.

Waze is pretty good in rerouting you to avoid traffic jams.

But you still have to not follow it blindly and exercise executive decision sometimes.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The 2nd guarantees the 1st
    Picture of fiasconva
    posted Hide Post
    Google Maps purchased WAZE not too long ago and it's now built into Google Maps.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post