SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    How Is YOUR Day Going? Here's Mine.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Is YOUR Day Going? Here's Mine. Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Cars. If it's not one thing . . .

I had a road noise. Sort of a rumble. Went to the shop that services our vehicles (the owner is a big fan of the P229 in .357 SIG). We took a short drive and had gone maybe a couple hundred yards when he said, "it's a bearing in one of the rear wheels."

That was Monday. I left the car with him, picked it up this morning. Road noise and vibration gone, with the new hub / bearing.

Drove it home, a couple of miles, was maybe twenty yards from my house, and POW!

The rear wheel bearing was fixed, so now a front tire, a Michelin with less than 7,000 miles on it, decided to 'splode.

I have changed many tires in my life, and certainly know how to do it, but at 82 and with limited mobility, I just don't feel like messing around with a jack.

I had dropped AAA a while ago when my insurance agent suggested adding Roadside Assistance to the auto policy. Great move, it's much less expensive than AAA, much faster response time, and better coverage. Instead of AAA's typical 1.5 to 2 hour wait, I was given an ETA of 35 minutes, and the service arrived before that.

A Ford Focus, plastered with the service's logos pulls up, out pops a pleasantly plump black woman, maybe in her 40s or 50s. She yanked a floor jack out of her trunk and set to work. Fast, efficient, and a very pleasant person!

Emailed the local Discount Tire store, where the tires had originally come from and the manager replied, telling me that the tire was on its way from their local warehouse and he had set a 3:30 appointment for me.

Other than the loss of the better part of the day, I guess things could have been a lot worse.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That is not a great day V Tail. I'm glad you got it handled with minimal fuss.

I hope your week improves!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I don't know why more people don't add roadside assistance to their insurance policies. It's everything you said, especially less expensive.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm on AAA for over 30 years. I've used them once in a while. I just like the peace of mind.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I'm on AAA for over 30 years. I've used them once in a while. I just like the peace of mind.
The insurance add-on gives me everything that AAA did in terms of Roadside Assistance, at a LOT less money, and better coverage.

Example: Last time I used AAA for a tow, everything past the first fifteen miles was $0.40 / mile. The insurance coverage is for 100 miles. I forget how much the AAA cost was, but I know for sure that it was a heck of a lot MORE than the $25.00 / year for the add-on option on our family auto policy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Swapped a serpentine belt on a family members F-150 today. Dealership wanted $120.

I sure would like to talk to the sadistic SOB that put that one together. It was easier to pull the belt off of the pulleys than an attempt to loosen the tensioner first. Mad

So yeah, saved $80, but oaths and insults filled the air.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
A few things from your post come to mind. 1) I no longer buy Michelin tires because their quality has gone down hill. 2) I only deal with Discount tire because of their quality service and pricing. 3) I dumped AAA for Allstate road assistance and have been pleased with their service and price.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
FWIW, that scrape mark on the edge of the wheel probably had something to do with the tire problem.
A chunk like that doesn't just happen to a Michelin tire, especially through those cords.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Swapped a serpentine belt on a family members F-150 today. Dealership wanted $120.

I sure would like to talk to the sadistic SOB that put that one together. It was easier to pull the belt off of the pulleys than an attempt to loosen the tensioner first. Mad

Pshaw.... try it on a supercharged f150 5.4 Mad

You have to lock the flywheel, remove the supercharger lower pulley and bracket before you can consider taking off the accessory drive belt....

I wrote the check, ain't got no time fo that shidt...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Yup. It was the 5.4 without the super.

The worst ever would have my nomination of :

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
At least it wasn't a blowout on landing roll out in the Bonanza.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
FWIW, that scrape mark on the edge of the wheel probably had something to do with the tire problem.
A chunk like that doesn't just happen to a Michelin tire, especially through those cords.

I did not want to point that out of my old friend auto,cause he probably loaned to an employee to go for lunch and failed to mention it to V tail.
Then steel belts are on the thread 4 ply.
them sides is only two and NO steel there.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The size and shape of the blowout and the scratched-up area on the wheel next to it tells me that tire hit something, perhaps a curb. It didn't just pop by itself.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The size and shape of the blowout and the scratched-up area on the wheel next to it tells me that tire hit something, perhaps a curb. It didn't just pop by itself.
Yeah, two possibilities:
  1. The week before, I was on a back road, had a sudden encounter with a large pothole (I think there was an abandoned VW at the bottom). Couldn't avoid it, ditch on my right, oncoming car in the lane on my left. Don't know if this was the cause, the car was driven at least 50 miles after that.

2. The 48 hours prior to the blowout, the car was out of my possession. In the shop, getting a bearing / hub replaced, not the same wheel. Bad bearing was rear passenger side, blowout was front, same side. I had the car back for ten minutes -- the time it takes to return from the repair shop to my house -- when the blowout occurred, in the middle of the street, just a few yards before turning into my driveway. I am close to 100% positive that the shop owner, who road tested the car after replacing the bearing, did not hit a curb or anything else. He is competent, reliable, and I am sure that he would have informed me if there had been a mishap.
So, two possibilities, but I really don't know.

In any event, Discount Tire took good care of me. Ordered the replacement and made an appointment for me for the swap.

Only downside, dealing with this ate a good portion of my day.

One other thing: Years ago, I had a new VW Passat, maybe 700 miles on the vehicle, had a front tire blow out with a similar hole. Interesting thing, the blowout was on the inboard sidewall, where there was no possibility of it having hit a curb or anything similar.

The blowout occurred on the Interstate (I-20?), vicinity of Conyers GA, while enroute from Raleigh NC to Birmingham AL.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I guess if there's a silver lining, you had competent, good people helping set things to right. Hopefully you're all patched up and on your way now.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

You have to lock the flywheel, remove the supercharger lower pulley and bracket before you can consider taking off the accessory drive belt....

I wrote the check, ain't got no time fo that shidt...

Had my Hyundai Elantra (1.8 engine) in the shop for the free oil change. They suggested replacing the serpentine belt, based on age/mileage. They wanted $235. I told them I would think about it. (NOT). Checked it when I got home, spent 6 bucks to buy a new can of belt dressing sprayed it down. In the process, I kind of checked how hard it would be to swap that belt. When the time comes to swap it, I will pay them the $235! Have to take a good bit of the right front engine compartment and only God knows what else!!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Cars. If it's not one thing . . .

I had a road noise. Sort of a rumble. Went to the shop that services our vehicles (the owner is a big fan of the P229 in .357 SIG). We took a short drive and had gone maybe a couple hundred yards when he said, "it's a bearing in one of the rear wheels."

That was Monday. I left the car with him, picked it up this morning. Road noise and vibration gone, with the new hub / bearing.

Drove it home, a couple of miles, was maybe twenty yards from my house, and POW!

The rear wheel bearing was fixed, so now a front tire, a Michelin with less than 7,000 miles on it, decided to 'splode.

I have changed many tires in my life, and certainly know how to do it, but at 82 and with limited mobility, I just don't feel like messing around with a jack.

I had dropped AAA a while ago when my insurance agent suggested adding Roadside Assistance to the auto policy. Great move, it's much less expensive than AAA, much faster response time, and better coverage. Instead of AAA's typical 1.5 to 2 hour wait, I was given an ETA of 35 minutes, and the service arrived before that.

A Ford Focus, plastered with the service's logos pulls up, out pops a pleasantly plump black woman, maybe in her 40s or 50s. She yanked a floor jack out of her trunk and set to work. Fast, efficient, and a very pleasant person!

Emailed the local Discount Tire store, where the tires had originally come from and the manager replied, telling me that the tire was on its way from their local warehouse and he had set a 3:30 appointment for me.

Other than the loss of the better part of the day, I guess things could have been a lot worse.

Sidewall damage is a real pain. One of the reasons I really like BFG All-Terrain and and Mud TA tires. They add an extra ply or two on the sidewall which helps keep damage at bay and helps prevent debeading when airing down for sand .

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post