SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    So Let Me Get This Straight: There Is No More One-Time Purchase Of MS Office??
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So Let Me Get This Straight: There Is No More One-Time Purchase Of MS Office?? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Actually you can Purchase Office 2019 Home and Student as a once only purchase. IIRC the cost for this package is 139.00 dollars and the Home and Student version has Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. If you want outlook you'll have to lease.

Now, everyone who uses Outlook hold up your hand. Bet that won't get many responses.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I bought a new laptop last year. When I launched Excel and saw I had to subscribe, I dug out my Office 2010 DVD and installed that.
There's nothing I need from Word or Excel that the old version can't do.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Just wait until Windows is subscription based. It's coming.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that Office 365 subscription also comes with 1TB of One Drive cloud storage if someone is interested in that with ability to install one drive on multiple devices for availability of your files.

The basic $5 per month Microsoft Office 365 basic also comes with email hosting with custom email domain and 50GB mailbox for those that might be interested in that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-u...tQvi6G4aAghCEALw_wcB

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I have Office 97 on my laptop as I type. It works just fine. Come to think of it, it was pretty expensive back in 97.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Same issue with Adobe Illustrator for me on my new-ish MacBook Pro. I'm too old to learn a new program and I ain't submitting to them. To make things worse my stand alone copy is 32 bit and won't run on current Mac 64 bit only OS.

I may try to format an external drive and installing a 32 bit Mac OS and put my newest old stand alone version of Illustrator on it and just boot to that drive when I need to.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I hate to be "that guy," but I'll say I've still got Office 2000 on a machine here. It works.
<<snip>>

Same here, only mine is Office 2010... and it works just fine. Like the rest of you, I will NOT pay any annual subscription fees for software!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Nothing good ever came from Microsuck, they stole their products and rebranded many to look like it was theirs. But many others sought the 'big bucks' by sucking up to Microsuck and 'selling' to them. If you dig deep into their product code (yes you need 'special' tools) there are 'tracks' as to where it came from.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
The free web- or cloud-based suites offered by Google and Microsoft pretty much work for me, as long as your not publishing a magazine.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Apple guy. Numbers gets it done for me.

Fred, I’d like to hear more about this if you wouldn’t be bothered emailing me. I use excel heavily at work. For documentation, calculation, as I handle the cost portion of a major technology. So using it so much at work has always had me using it on my home machine to keep track of all my bills. But like PASig, I’m not at all happy about this switch. I ponied up for the bullshit as I was just too busy to source a replacement. But I want to do something about it. I’m wondering also, for say resume purposes, how that works with Apple’s software as the whole industry revolves around word for resumes. Thanks for your time if you reply. I converted to Apple 100% at home.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use OpenOffice.org a lot and have found it to be a decent replacement.

On the plus side of all this, I am glad everyone will be using the same version of Word when they use it!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Bought a new laptop and go to load MS Office on it, through my employer's HUP I used to get an Office package for like 15-20 bucks and that was it.

Now I find out that it's going to cost me 65 bucks a year this year...then next year...then the year after that and on and on. Roll Eyes

Ummm...no thanks Microsoft. You can take your stupid subscription-based Office and cram it sideways up your greedy little asses.

I'll use something else from now on, there's no way in hell I'm paying $65 a year for something I don't really use all that often.

Google Docs or something like that will have to suffice!

$15 or $20 for MS Office, huh? Eek
That would be nice but that isn't a realistic price unless you are special. Smile
As a diehard MS guy I never like the subscription model all that much but I understand from MS's business point of view.
Also never cared for setting up premise products that require a MS account.
Nevertheless, my distributor is still selling MS Office Desktop (OEM) packages but alas I WISH I could get that "special" $15-$20 super price. Frown
I still have a LOT of clients using old office versions without any problem.
However, I refuse to deal with client issues that are using version 2003 (and really 2007) or earlier.
2010 forward all work well enough for the most part, newer versions 2013/2016/2019 may have some special features that may benefit you and they do work faster/better but not totally necessary.
But when the subscription model totally takes over ~ I still have plenty of every earlier version for testing and use but I don't like being forced either. Mad

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trebor44:
Nothing good ever came from Microsuck, they stole their products and rebranded many to look like it was theirs. But many others sought the 'big bucks' by sucking up to Microsuck and 'selling' to them. If you dig deep into their product code (yes you need 'special' tools) there are 'tracks' as to where it came from.

Now wait a second, you've dug deep into Windows code? (A ton of it is open source on Git Hub FYI) I don't think you have but if you have it please publish it. Maybe you could tell us what special tools you're using or are they top secret. I'm anxiously awaiting your response.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I use Open Office.
F- Microshaft.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I use Open Office.
F- Microshaft.

I agree Screaming. I'm not an F-MS guy but if you're not collaborating with people using MS Office you're golden. It's when 10 people working on the same 200 page Word doc and one is using open source that problems start to surface.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
That is what Little Snitch is for... heh heh.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Open Office and recently LibreOffice have been quite adequate, free replacements for 10+ years.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I looked at OpenOffice and Google Docs, but the game-changers for me was my frequent use of MS Access, and MS Publisher... the two Office apps that I use the most! It’s what I’ve been using for many years (used to teach both to the advanced level, and spent the majority of my professional career as an Access application programmer), and something I really need to keep because everything else in my life is “moving on”, and I’m not willing to “keep up”!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with Publisher, but re Access, Open Office and LibreOffice both have database modules. I haven't used them so I really don't know much about them, I use FileMaker for my modest database requirements.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30660 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I'm not familiar with Publisher, but re Access, Open Office and LibreOffice both have database modules. I haven't used them so I really don't know much about them, I use FileMaker for my modest database requirements.

And there’s the difference... no offense intended! My DB programs are very serious stand-alone products that work like a whole new application! Everything is automated, and a crap-load of Visual Basic code is included behind everything, even simple “button” clicks, tabs, etc. Anticipating each and every entry error and correcting for it is part of what I do... or at least “did”. I wouldn’t know how to create a database program with anything less (my greatest career accomplishments were while working for NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center here in Huntsville). The programming to do what they required was BEYOND insane!!! Big Grin

Sorry, I’m sure that I am very much in the minority here, but it is what it is...