SIGforum
Please, guys...

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/8930039194

May 10, 2022, 10:07 PM
tatortodd
Please, guys...
Old fashioned rules for being a gentleman required wearing a hat outdoors at all times AND required taking off your hat to go indoors. Similar deal with the military.

In other words, you’re a hypocrite if you aren’t equally offended by the lack of hats outdoors as you are the wearing of hats indoors.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
May 10, 2022, 10:44 PM
marksman41
Watch movies from the era when the fedora was the hat to wear - 30's to the 60's - and you'll see a lot of indoor hat wearing at lunch counters, restaurants, homes, businesses, etc.

Even "back in the day" it seems like it was acceptable to keep your hat on indoors with some exceptions regarding place and reason for visit.

May 11, 2022, 02:33 AM
Bisleyblackhawk
I came in at the end of the railroad dress code when all the Railroad Supervisors wore a fedora to show rank (Southern Railway circa 1978…white hard hats replaced them…regular workers wore green hard hats or regular ball caps) it was pretty expected for you to wear your cap indoors (I still do this unless I’m at Church, Court or a fancy restaurant…in today’s reality…fancy restaurants, if you can call Chick-Fill-A a “fancy restaurant” Wink)…I have zero issues with headgear under roof.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
May 11, 2022, 04:55 AM
RichardC
What, me worry? --- Alfred E. Neuman, 1956

You can leave your hat on. --- Randy Newman, 1972

Life's been good to me so far
May 11, 2022, 07:21 AM
Bassamatic
Lots and lots of people wear hats in our restaurants and diners around here. I've never once thought it out of place.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
May 11, 2022, 08:11 AM
Perception
I don't usually wear a hat. If I do, it's for a reason so it's going to stay on until I get back home.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."
May 11, 2022, 09:14 AM
flesheatingvirus
Or people can just mind their own damn business concerning things that have ZERO affect on them.

Does someone wearing a hat in a certain location trigger you? So what?

I fully support the decision of others to not wear a hat, but don't start trying to dictate to others. Just think to yourself, "What an asshole,", and move on with your day.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
May 11, 2022, 09:31 AM
oldbill123
My grandkids tell me "anything goes" in todays world. Sad
May 11, 2022, 09:43 AM
nasig
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
My grandkids tell me "anything goes" in todays world. Sad

yep. no class at all
May 11, 2022, 10:19 AM
98XJRC
I wear a ball cap every day. It's a habit I formed from working outside every day. About the only time you'll find me not wearing a cap is inside my home and or job trailer. In the job trailer it's only because I just took my hard hat off and didn't grab my cap.

We don't eat out much and when we do it's nothing fancy. I do however take my hat off for prayer and the pledge/anthem. Other then that the hat stays on.
May 11, 2022, 10:42 AM
RogueJSK
C'mon V-Tail... You know as well as any that there's no politics in non-political threads.
May 11, 2022, 10:42 AM
konata88
I'm don't know what proper etiquette is; if I knew I'd probably try to follow it.

When I do wear a cap, I wear it for function. I don't wear caps for fashion. I wear it because I'm either out in the sun or rain (I don't use umbrellas).

A cap and the clothes I'm wearing are probably consistent. Casual. And casual places, I assume, allow for wearing caps. As an article of clothing, I'll wear the cap unless it is dripping wet from rain; then I'll just hang it on my knee.

If I'm going someplace where a certain dress code is expected, I'm likely not wearing a cap. The cap probably wouldn't match my clothes.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
May 11, 2022, 12:03 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

C'mon V-Tail... You know as well as any that there's no politics in non-political threads.
OOPS! Deleted.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
May 11, 2022, 12:49 PM
smschulz
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
There are still places where indoor caps aren't socially acceptable, like the military, or court, or workplaces that require business clothing, or some more formal churches (yes, there are casual churches nowadays too).

But barring being in a 5 star formal restaurant with a strict dress code, you'll have to accept that wearing ballcaps in restaurants and other casual indoor settings is something that is completely socially acceptable for every generation younger than yours.

Pretty much agree - is is not a hard and fast rule of etiquette now days.
Having to take off your hat going into a MacDonald's seem silly but removing at Church, etc or when playing the National Anthem is entirely appropriate.
Just use common sense.
May 12, 2022, 12:40 AM
drill sgt
In the early 1972/1973 while pushing young troops thru a personel processing center (FT. Sill, Okla) had a encounter with a young shavetail (butter bar) 2lt Army officer that was demanding and ordering me to remove my Drill Sgt /aka Campaign /aka Smokey Bear) cover/headgear because I was indoors. This interaction became very lively until the Command Sgt Major of the center in charge stepped in and confirmed that since I was wearing my duty pistol belt / Drill Sgt headgear and in charge of a group of trainees I was considered "under arms" (carrying a issued weapon) and not required to remove my headgear indoors. .. The young 2lt was not a happy camper when he lost the encounter. .................. drill sgt.
May 12, 2022, 01:14 AM
Schmelby
Their are hardly any manners these days. Years ago men wore a suit and tie
to baseball games. Get on an airliner, men wore suits and women wore dresses.
Now slobs get on an airplane wearing pajamas, disgusting!
May 12, 2022, 05:51 AM
bobandmikako
I definitely agree that there's been a decline in manners and what is considered acceptable attire over the last several years, but I really don't care what people wear as long as they practice good hygiene. If someone is wearing a hat indoors I may notice but not really care. If someone's pants are hanging down to their knees exposing their underwear, which seems to be common in some places, that's disgusting.

Regarding suits and ties, I've never been a fan of formal clothes. I especially think ties are stupid and haven't worn one since I was in uniform. I'll wear a nice tailored jacket when needed but I won't wear a tie and don't really care what anything thinks about it.

十人十色
May 12, 2022, 05:51 AM
4MUL8R
I believe the OP decries the indoor wearing of hats to say that he misses the days when people in general conformed to an image of law-abiding run-to-danger he-men who rescued damsels in distress. To be sure, how we dress conveys how we think about a task, an event, or a role. Abiding by unspoken rules passed on by fathers to sons benefits a society by extending in time the essence of that society.

Is our society in decline because travelers where pajamas on planes? Has the dissolution of cultural rules made our society worse? Many would argue yes.

One example of extreme conformance remains the nation of Japan. There, the few young people who color their hair odd shades of blue or orange or red smile as they collectively gather at the train station. Together they can reject being the same as everyone else, yet together they are certainly and obviously in rebellion. The rest of the citizens most often wear the same style of clothing, and their hair is uniform in appearance. The culture values conformity, and seeks to uphold standards.

It would seem that the USA formerly held to a more conformist view, with standards such as removing ones hat indoors making sense to a majority. But, for years, being different has become itself the way to conform.

A society must define itself, and I believe here we have declined by accepting a freedom that values self-expression over being part of a whole.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...
May 12, 2022, 10:20 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I believe the OP decries the indoor wearing of hats to say that he misses the days when people in general conformed to an image of law-abiding run-to-danger he-men who rescued damsels in distress. To be sure, how we dress conveys how we think about a task, an event, or a role.

Except a man in a ballcap, tshirt, and jeans can be just as much of a "law-abiding run-to-danger he-man" as a guy in a 3 piece suit and a fedora, and his actions, speech, and body language are significantly more important in conveying that than the specific cut of fabric currently draping his body.

There could be a law enacted tomorrow that all men must wear a fedora outdoors and remove it while indoors, on pain of death, and it wouldn't do one whit to affect the manliness or lawfulness of current society. We would still have the exact same problems, just with fancy hats.
May 12, 2022, 10:28 AM
bald1
At the doctors' offices most all men wear a hat while seating waiting to be seen. Ball caps to cowboy hats... the whole gamut. Same inside stores ranging from hardware to grocery.

Only place I've seen hats removed was at more upscale restaurants. You would still see them worn at diners and relaxed ma 'n pa establishments.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192