SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Likely ended my relationship with an estranged spouse and child
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Likely ended my relationship with an estranged spouse and child Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Estranged - You're still legally bound. So, it's much tougher. Estranged for "a decade"? That's strange to me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
More common than you would imagine. People have all kinds of relationships in marriages. Certainly not an arrangement I would like.

Posts: 17578 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Estranged for "a decade"? That's strange to me.
More common than you would imagine. People have all kinds of relationships in marriages. Certainly not an arrangement I would like.
A guy who once worked for me was estranged from two wives while married to a third one.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
A wedding you helped pay for? BS. Unless things were absolutely horrid, why wouldn’t she have you (dad) give her away?

That’s no way to treat family, even family that chose to go their own ways. I typically get an invite for holiday gatherings from a relative that I decline (because I’m typically not in town), but I always thank them for thinking of me and for the invite itself. It’s nice to feel welcome; she feels good inviting me, and I feel good that she thought of me, even though we both know it’s a safe bet I won’t be there. It’s basic etiquette, but it’s definitely slipping in the world at large.
Perfect example, I have other rellys in the same family that never say a word and I miss their events. I’ve learned to ignore and walk away from them and that. No need for it in my life.

Sounds as though you’ve established expectations with your daughter. She should be able to do likewise with you. A pact of sorts. Perhaps follow it up with a text that says “here’s a great number to contact me if you need to let me know about anything”.

I think I’d be done with the wife for pretending this is nothing, when it’s clearly something to you. But you do need to be crystal clear in your hopes and expectations in order to move forward (again, it sounds as though you have) and accept that you may not be invited to everything.

Communication does work both ways. As others mentioned, sounds as though offerings were made, maybe they hoped you would follow through with “send me a time, place, and what I can bring to the event”..

Btw, I hope you really considered Para’s perspective post. I think he heard you more clearly than any of us.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5514 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
Nice guy syndrome. Good read below. As said above, don't be a doormat.

https://www.amazon.com/No-More...+%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-1

Posts: 777 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Estranged wife (still married but living apart)? Or ex-wife (divorced)?

Divorced - Rip that Ban-Aid off once and for all and never look back.

Estranged - You're still legally bound. So, it's much tougher. Estranged for "a decade"? That's strange to me.

It isn't hard to understand if you actually take your marriage vows to be an oath unto death, as I do, because that is exactly what I swore to do.

Since I haven't had God directly tell me otherwise, I can be released from my vow to her only by her, via her filing for and being granted divorce or even by her return of the wedding ring I placed on her finger. She hasn't done either.

I know, its strange to have this position given today's views and what's transpired, but I take my vow seriously.

The same is true for my child. Even today, whatever I have is hers if need be, including my life. That is what I vowed to myself when I made the very informed decision to bring a child into this world. I made the same vow to myself when I delivered her (the OB/GYN knew I was a paramedic and let me step in at the last minute).

What else can I say? There are lots of ways I am very old-fashioned.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32120 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I don't envy your position but I would suggest that if you ignore your ex-wife as she's a lost cause, I'd try to focus on rebuilding a relationship with your child.

You're the father, but maybe its not too late to be a dad.

Posts: 53888 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
As someone that's starting to settle the estate with my wife for her recently deceased brother, If not divorced get that way and update your will. My wife's brother left two boys, 28 and 31, an estranged wife (separated for the past 10 years but not divorced) and his wife person will get most of his estate in front of the children. Beyond that if there's no hope of reconciling there's no reason to open yourself up to more hurt.

Posts: 3545 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds complicated and there's no simple solution. The only suggestion I have to offer is to develop friendships. You can't pick your family but you can pick your friends. 65 (any age really) is too young to live the rest of your life in solitude.

Posts: 843 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is admiral to keep you vow. I hope you seek competent counselling.

Posts: 1487 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Biblically keeping one’s vows means more than just not getting divorced.

After ten years and at this point, how do love, honor, cherish, respect, etc. factor into you and your wife’s marriage?

For your daughter. Clearly, you aren’t going to be getting any engraved invitations. You have zero control over how you will be invited to anything by your wife or daughter. You do have control over how you respond.

For example:
“Are you coming for Christmas?”

“Sure thing. When and where? What will the attire be? Can I bring dessert, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, or something?”

You also have control over invitations you give out. “Hey, let’s have Christmas at my house this year!”

Posts: 11711 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What trapper said. Are you really keeping your oath when you ignore every single thing element in the vow except "til death do us part?"

You are divorced in every way but the legalistic way, and you still sound sad after 10 years. Just finish it off and move on, you do have a right to be happy.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

It isn't hard to understand if you actually take your marriage vows to be an oath unto death, as I do, because that is exactly what I swore to do.

Since I haven't had God directly tell me otherwise, I can be released from my vow to her only by her, via her filing for and being granted divorce or even by her return of the wedding ring I placed on her finger. She hasn't done either.

Sounds like she won't be doing anything to terminate this on her end because she's USING you. And you are letting her. I don't know if you are just trying to punish yourself or what. You are trying to follow a very specific letter of the rule instead of the spirit of the rule. You really think god is going to call you up and be like, "Duuuuude...". I highly doubt your situation is what god had in mind with this whole system. I'm not a believer, so I'm trying to come at it from that standpoint.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17644 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're hell bent on being stuck in this one-way abusive relationship. No matter how you frame it, you are being psychologically abused. I wish you all the luck in the world, my friend.

Q

Posts: 27695 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you. This kind of situation is always tuff.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
What trapper said. Are you really keeping your oath when you ignore every single thing element in the vow except "til death do us part?"

You are divorced in every way but the legalistic way, and you still sound sad after 10 years. Just finish it off and move on, you do have a right to be happy.

It sounds like by staying it was actually worse for the kids and because of bad behavior by both parents the kid was getting bad examples of family. Just a terrible position to be in for sure.

Posts: 4017 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Move on, my friend.

I am happily married with my first wife. Been at it for 10 years.
Before that i had two boys with someone and that person eventually turned my sons against me.
My kids and their mother live in my apartment from where she kicked me almost 20 years ago. Guess who’s paying the bills?

We are all adults now. No comms, complete silence and a bill now and then.

About to turn 65 in less than a week.

I understand what you are going through but you have the option of NOT thinking about it anymore and do better for yourself. They are, no doubt.

There’s plenty to do and enjoy that is more productive for your life. Don’t let this be YOUR loss.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12287 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't even play a therapist on the internet, but know that they can help in communication issues. Wishing you good luck going forward.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dkjbama:
Nice guy syndrome. Good read below. As said above, don't be a doormat.

https://www.amazon.com/No-More...+%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-1

I agree and understand the feeling of duty to not give up.
But at a certain point you do have to live for yourself.
The above book is a wonderful start along with "Free Agent Lifestyle" and "Practical Stoicism".
Both helped me to rebuid the my life and become happier than I've ever been.
Good luck brother!

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dkjbama:

The above book is a wonderful start along with "Free Agent Lifestyle" and "Practical Stoicism".
Both helped me to rebuid the my life and become happier than I've ever been.
Good luck brother!

There are multiple authors with titles of "Practical Stoicism". Please specify author.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5679 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
This is the version I was referring to.
link

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post