SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The continued worsening of the health insurance experience
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The continued worsening of the health insurance experience Login/Join 
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Our company has used Anthem for a number of years and I've not had any issues or forms. I've had 3 hospital based tests (two requiring anesthesia).

Our meds are under Express Script rather than Anthem so can comment on that side of the coverage.

Sorry to hear about the hassles.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4892 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Someone I know had a ER visit due to a medical emergency recently.

$3,000 bill after insurance.

This is with one of the better insurance plans our city offers (the same plan I have). The biggest city in NC, which one would expect would provide decent options.

And the medical issue isn't resolved, so they are probably going to have thousands more until they hit their max out of pocket.

I'm terrified for them.

I know that's not a drop in the bucket compared to some horror stories, but for this person that is a considerable amount of money.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I’ve heard some horror stories out there with claims being denied, etc. We actually had that with a local group which we dropped a few years ago, issues we had with them made no sense being that we were self-funded. What I’m hearing from this thread and others is the same sort of disorganization and waste, like parts of the companies don’t talk to one another and cause all these irritating problems.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:
CVS.....don’t get me started. I’m not to happy with them either.

The closest CVS to me is awful. Trying to call is hopeless. I got fed up last time and from now on I make my doctor's office call CVS to straighten things out. They use a phone number that actually gets through and are accountable if things don't work.

Posts: 4322 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
As a business owner I can share my health insurance experience. Prior to Obamacare we had very good insurance for reasonable expense. It went up every year between 5 and 15 percent but the policy stayed the same year after year. Spent a month in a burn unit and had a $500K bill. Cost me $1000. Since Obamacare my premiums have been going up between 10 and 30 percent each year and the plans change each year raising the deductibles and max out of pocket. Had another procedure about 2-5 years ago. Bill was $250K, my out of pocket was $5K. Last year had torn bicep tendon surgery, my out of pocket $7500 after therapy. My family premiums are now around $1800/month. Rates keep going up a lot and benefits continue to go down. I actually pick our insurance too.

Posts: 1823 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went for sudden onset blurred vision and my cost was 3 grand. Don't go to the ER unless you are dying.
Someone has to pick up the cost so everyone can have free insurance

Posts: 1464 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just making an appointment worries me. When I called asking about the 'free yearly physical' included with the insurance though my employer, they said for people over 40 we should expect to pay from $600 to $1600 depending on what's discussed plus costs for any bloodwork.

If talking to a doctor for 15 minutes could cost me more than $1000, and they can't give me a rough estimate in advance, it will have to be very serious before I go.

Posts: 2377 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An expensive zit:
I had a sebaceous cyst on my neck. Needed to have it lanced. 15 minutes with the Doc and done. Simple, right? Nope. Something got sent to the lab and that wasnt covered by insurance. Then the drain the Doc put in clogged and I had to have that taken of. Less than thirty minutes for both visits. End result: Just shy of 1K. I refused to fess up with the whole amount and tried to make payments on it. Nope. Got sent to collections. All for a zit!
And wait.... Theres more! My Doc wants to surgically remove the gland causing the cyst.
No way in hell.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obamacare drives the free market much as Soviet food control drove the black market. Companies are finding a need and filling it, like Good RX. Of course, you've ALREADY paid for prescription coverage thru your insurance. If we ever get the Obamacare cluster straight.....

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
I went for sudden onset blurred vision and my cost was 3 grand. Don't go to the ER unless you are dying.
Someone has to pick up the cost so everyone can have free insurance

We thought my daughter may have had a concussion after a sports injury. Took her to the ER - $800. And we have the best health insurance the feds offer.

I cringe when I hear the Dems proudly state "18 million people now have access to healthcare." Yup they do, at the working man's expense.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:
CVS.....don’t get me started. I’m not to happy with them either.

CVS equals bandits! Mad

Posts: 11892 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post