SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Technology is a wonderful thing...usually...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Technology is a wonderful thing...usually... Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
ADAS is commonly used in journalism however.

https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a31880412/adas/

It’s been talked above for over a decade. It’s much easier to refer to ADAS rather than spell out:

Collision mitigation braking
Adaptive Cruise control
Lane Keep Assist
Blind Spot monitoring
Reverse collision avoidance

I mean the systems are so numerous now, it’s hard to keep up with all of them. Each manu assigns their own marketing names to each. When in doubt, when you see you an acronym you don’t know, use your Google fu. In this instance, it would be a search on “ADAS + cars” and you would have instantly got a result you could read on.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
In all of the technical writing that I have done, it was the burden of the writer, not the reader, to define an acronym the first time it was used in a document. After the initial definition, the acronym could continue to be used.

There is no mandate to follow this practice on SIGforum, but it is an ingrained habit with me. If I write something, my goal is to make the meaning clear to the reader, rather than expect the reader to jump through hoops and search the internet to find the meaning of what I write.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black Pepper may have experience with this: A couple of years ago I rented a Camry. Nice car. Solid and seemed well made. Until it snowed! There were sensors, either behind the grill or in some other exposed frontal area that when snow covered, caused the car to go nuts. Warning lights, chimes and some systems would shut down. It made car undrivable until I got out and knocked the snow off the front of the car. Which I had to do multiple times on the trip. Geezus! Doesnt it snow in Japan? Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16116 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Geezus! Doesnt it snow in Japan? Roll Eyes

I spent several years stationed at Misawa Air Base in Aomori Prefecture which is at the very northern tip of the main island.

The only thing between us and the North end of North Korea was the Sea of Japan.

Did it snow? Boy, and Howdy! 60" a month Dec/Jan/Feb and most of March. Every fall, they'd put 8 or 10 foot bamboo stakes along the side of the road so the plows knew where the edge was. Many's the time I drove from the main base to "The Hill" through a snow canyon, looking at the top foot or two of those stakes.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15267 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Geezus! Doesnt it snow in Japan? Roll Eyes

Very little in the major cities. It's primarily in the mountains in Japan.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course they could get it to read through the snow, by boosting the power or using a different wavelength, but then we would all be full of tumors and other ailments from that. It is a limitation of the power and wavelength that they are permitted to use on the open public roadways.

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any of these issues, but this thread has been informative and fun to read. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Posts: 3521 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post