SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What Does a National Day of Mourning Have to Do with The Post Office
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Does a National Day of Mourning Have to Do with The Post Office Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Guess what the military is doing today?

Working.

I know a 3 star command that isn't.
Unfortunately, there are some folks in the DoD that never meet a day off they didn't like.

The line folks are working though, so we aren't undefended, but a number of DACs are frolicking.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Thankfully Amazon is stepping up and delivering their own shit these days.

USPS days are numbered, aside from mailers and letters for little old ladies.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Rhino,

Yes, Amazon is stepping up and delivering their own shit. I found my neighbors shit in my driveway last night. I found a customers shit at a house that has been vacant for three years. I found another customers shit who moved out of their apartment 2 years ago. I find shit in apartment complexes that isn't even close to the physical address. So yes, they are delivering shit. I see their shit sitting on the curbs in front of houses. They leave their shit behind closed garage doors, so when people back up, they run over their shit.

Amazon delivery is like the Uber or Walmart of delivery. I can look at the last name of the customer, and know exactly where they live without looking at the address. Or if they don't live there. Or if they are away. Or if I should leave their "shit" on the side porch, instead of the driveway.

What's funny is the USPS gets the blame for all these mis-deliveries. Fed Ex, UPS, Amazon. It's always sitting by their mailbox with a note "this shit don't belong here". Technically, it's stealing for a USPS employee to pick it up, and deliver it to the right location, unless it has postage.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
My office is delivering parcels today.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, Amazon is stepping up and delivering their own shit. I found my neighbors shit in my driveway last night. I found a customers shit at a house that has been vacant for three years. I found another customers shit who moved out of their apartment 2 years ago. I find shit in apartment complexes that isn't even close to the physical address. So yes, they are delivering shit. I see their shit sitting on the curbs in front of houses. They leave their shit behind closed garage doors, so when people back up, they run over their shit.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You live in San Francisco OR Portland with all that SHIT? LOL

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thankfully Amazon is stepping up and delivering their own shit these days.

Wife thought it was likely Priority Mail .

Co-worker thinks they're delivering Amazon packages.

I saw a USPS truck delivering just now.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Rhino,

Amazon delivery is like the Uber or Walmart of delivery. I can look at the last name of the customer, and know exactly where they live without looking at the address. Or if they don't live there. Or if they are away. Or if I should leave their "shit" on the side porch, instead of the driveway.

What's funny is the USPS gets the blame for all these mis-deliveries. Fed Ex, UPS, Amazon. It's always sitting by their mailbox with a note "this shit don't belong here". Technically, it's stealing for a USPS employee to pick it up, and deliver it to the right location, unless it has postage.

Unlike USPS, the events you describe are a nice self correcting problem - either (1) either Amazon will figure out how to deliver their shit to stop losing money from those mis-delivered packages or (2) they'll go out of business.

Unfortunately neither seem applicable to the USPS.

And funny thing is I've had Amazon deliver a bunch of shit to my hard to find house and they are batting 100%. Unlike the Sunday USPS driver who would drop our stuff off at the wrong address, across the neighborhood... Every. Single. Time.

We'd get the "Your package has been delivered" and after the first couple times, we would just drive over to the house where the owner had given us permission to look at the mail and take it if it was ours (he got tired of driving it to us and they travel a lot).

Tried calling USPS to complain, but of course you know how that run around goes on a Sunday. I guess that moron got moved somewhere else to mis-deliver someone elses stuff. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
They even closed some banks out here today!
I don't see a reason for that either.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Rhino,

We still deliver Amazon. Amazon is "trying" to deliver in localized urban areas. "Trying" being the key. I've seen them in my area occasionally, they use their own cars, and I've never seen the same driver twice. I forget the technical term they call them, but they are given a flat rate per day, something like $110, to deliver all their packages regardless of how long it takes them to do it. Some areas have the new Mercedes Amazon trucks, but I have yet to see that. Amazon, nor any other shipping company, will deal with customers who live in a more rural area. I recognize the UPS and Fed-Ex drivers in my area, so I'm curious as to how Amazon will handle paying drivers to use their own cars making ~$10/hr, as well as paying their own insurance and fuel on top of that.

With all the online shopping, regardless of Amazon, all delivery companies are overburdened. I had so much crap in my Dodge One Ton, I didn't even see the floor until about 4pm, and I started at 7:30. It was like playing Jenga in a moving truck. I start at 7am tomorrow, and am hoping to be done by 8pm.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, Amazon is stepping up and delivering their own shit. I found my neighbors shit in my driveway last night. I found a customers shit at a house that has been vacant for three years. I found another customers shit who moved out of their apartment 2 years ago. I find shit in apartment complexes that isn't even close to the physical address. So yes, they are delivering shit.
Sounds like you're referring to Amazon Logistics -- AMZL.

When I order from Amazon, United Parcel gets it delivered correctly. FedEx gets it delivered correctly. USPS gets it delivered correctly. AMZL can not find my address, which is at The UPS Store. AMZL can not find their own ass with two hands and a flashlight.

I have told Amazon Customer Service that I will cancel my Prime membership if they ever ship anything to me via AMZL again.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
as a retired mailhandler that worked in a P&DC I can assure you, they will still be working, they run 24/7. while the front line clerks at the PO will be off, the real movers of the mail will still be trudging along.

I have a package I've been tracking and it is "out for delivery" today.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

So when I order small parcels getting the small package USPS rate from vendors such as Midway and Brownells and so many others, will amazon deliver them? doubt it. That might work very well for someone who never buys outside of the Amazon umbrella. I'm not one of them.

This procedure was followed when both Reagan and Nixon died. It went back to the days of Franklin D. Roosevelt's death.

In 2004, the Washington Post was crying about the shutdown for Reagan.

quote:
Taxpayers Take Hit On Reagan Holiday
Government Shutdown Costs Millions

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...39086-2004Jun13.html

I wonder if this rag would have that attitude if Trump decided not to continue that tradition. I'd bet it would be significantly different.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
I have a package I've been tracking and it is "out for delivery" today.[/QUOTE]

my wife received a package today as well. maybe they're just having limited parcel delivery and express type stuff??

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like you're referring to Amazon Logistics -- AMZL.

Top quality Amazon delivery services.

Wonder where your package is??

quote:
Missing your Amazon delivery? It was dumped on the side of a road.
Updated Dec 4, 7:49 PM; Posted Dec 4, 5:54 PM

Police in Harding are investigating how 24 boxes shipped by Amazon ended up not on anyone’s doorstep, but dumped in the leaves off Fawn Hill Drive.
All of the packages had been “rummaged through,” said Harding Police Chief Erik Heller. Items were missing from about half of the boxes, he said.

The dumped packages were discovered last Wednesday by a resident, he said.
No arrest had been made as of Tuesday.
Heller said the packages - which, in addition to locations in Harding, had been en route to addresses in Short Hills, Livingston and possibly elsewhere - appear to have never actually made it to any of their intended destinations before being stolen.
“They were all listed as delayed, lost or not delivered,” Heller said.

It was not immediately clear if the packages were swiped from a delivery truck or a disgruntled driver tossed them there.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
When I still had my business I was in the post office near every day, I got to know the gals there pretty well. One day before a holiday (I don't recall which), I mentioned them having tomorrow off. They said 'Oh I thought the post office was closed." She responded "it is, but we still have to come to work." How does THAT make any sense?

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
On this site, it's been explained over and over that on holidays and Sundays, USPS delivers Amazon packages. Yet it still seems to amaze people.

What did strike me as strange was that there were regular carriers working today, rather than just new employees (CCAs). They even took a very limited amount of mail with them.

cas, to answer your question, post office clerks are often the ones responsible for sorting parcels in the morning for the carriers. So on holidays and Sundays, they do work for a short period of time to sort packages the CCAs will be carrying.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I work on the Marine Corps base in Quantico. All marines and government civilians were given the day off. Essential personnel only.

quote:
Guess what the military is doing today?

Working.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
The National Day of Mourning does not have to be observed by the USPS, it is up to the discretion of the Post Master General. We were not even notified until this morning, and they were already asking for volunteers to deliver packages on Wednesday.

Our regular carrier delivered our regular mail yesterday.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post