SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Census letter regarding our truck info, legit?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Census letter regarding our truck info, legit? Login/Join 
Picture of m1009
posted
Just got a letter from US dept of commerce, US census bureau. Supposedly we are required to fill it out.
Anyway, it’s in reference to one of our vehicles, they detailed the one SUV, and said we have to sign in and fill out a questionnaire. Anybody else get this? Is this legit? Kind of leaning toward yes it is, as the VIN is on the letter, and is correct.
Have never had one of these before, so thought I would see if anybody else got one of these.
Says it’s to help get statistics for infrastructure, truck safety needs, emissions, etc.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Ha, my first thought of file 13 too, but I think this is the second letter now.

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I'd still throw it. It's none of their business.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Did you look at the questionnaire? I'd be curious to know what sort of information they're fishing for. Or phishing for, as the case may be.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
I'd still throw it. It's none of their business.

As would I.

Of course, when I get a census, I only put down the number of people living here and leave it at that. None of the rest is any of their business.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Hadn’t gone to the website, did a search and supposedly if the return address on the envelope it came is says US census and address given from my search it’s legit. Still don’t understand why they want any info. Will check and see.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You better return it, or they will send someone to your door.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
The questionnaire was a series of questions regarding if the vehicle was purchased new, how many miles traveled last year, how far was it taken last year, cost of expenses, what driver assistance options it might have, etc. think it was stupid. Oh, and height, weight, and length. You would think if they had this in the letter, they could have that info already. More useless info grubbing.

posted Hide Post
I'm not seeing the big conspiracy here .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There's no conspiracy. They just need to go fuck themselves. Meddling bureaucrats are a pox on humanity.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
US dept of commerce, US census bureau.

https://www.census.gov/program...veys/vius/about.html

To answer your question, it's legit....

About the Vehicle Inventory and Use Survey

The Vehicle Inventory and Use Survey (VIUS) is sponsored by the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, the Federal Highway Administration, and the U.S. Department of Energy, and is conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau.

VIUS provides data on the physical and operational characteristics of the nation’s truck population. Its primary goal is to produce national and state-level estimates of the total number of trucks and truck miles.

Prior to 1997, VIUS was known as the Truck Inventory and Use Survey (TIUS). It was renamed to account for areas of future expansion, including the addition of automobiles and buses.

Legal Authority and Confidentiality
Title 13, United States Code, Section 9, requires the Census Bureau to keep your information CONFIDENTIAL and to use your responses only to produce statistics.

The Census Bureau is not permitted to publicly release your responses in a way that could identify your business, organization or institution. Per the Federal Cybersecurity Enhancement Act of 2015, your data are protected from cybersecurity risks through screening of the systems that transmit your data.

Coverage
The survey universe for VIUS includes all private and commercial trucks registered (or licensed) in the United States. This includes: 1) pickups; 2) minivans, other light vans, and sport utilities; 3) light single-unit trucks (GVW < 26,000 lbs.); 4) heavy single-unit trucks (GVW >= 26,000 lbs.); and 5) semi-trucks.

The VIUS sample excludes vehicles owned by federal, state, and local governments; ambulances; buses; motor homes; farm tractors; unpowered trailer units; and trucks reported to have been disposed of prior to January 1 of the survey year.

Content
VIUS collects data on physical and operational characteristics of trucks. Physical characteristics include date of purchase, weight, number of axles, overall length, type of transmission, and body type. Operational characteristics include type of use, lease characteristics, operator classification, base of operation, gas mileage, annual and lifetime miles driven, commodities hauled by type, and hazardous materials carried. Less detailed physical characteristics data are collected for pickups, vans, minivans, and sport utility vehicles because they are relatively homogenous in design and use.

Frequency
VIUS started as part of the 1963 Census of Transportation (called the Truck Inventory and Use Survey). VIUS was conducted every 5 years from 1963 to 2002, when it was discontinued.

A new VIUS is planned for 2022.

Methods
From 1963 to 2002, VIUS data were collected using paper questionnaires. Starting with the 2022 VIUS, data collection will be accomplished primarily by web-based questionnaires, using paper questionnaires as needed for those without sufficient access to the web-based versions.

Uses
VIUS data have historically been used in a variety of studies that benefit the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, the Federal Highway Administration, the Department of Energy, and many other stakeholders.

VIUS data are needed for freight movement analysis, highway cost allocation, truck size and weight evaluation, investment and performance analysis, commercial motor vehicle safety analysis, cost allocation studies, energy consumption and demand studies, and system performance analysis.

Last Revised: October 8, 2021

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
[QUOTE]US dept of commerce, US census bureau.

https://www.census.gov/program...veys/vius/about.html

To answer your question, it's legit....

About the Vehicle Inventory and Use Survey

Thank you, I did figure out it was legit after a bunch of searching and going to the census . Gov website. Still didn’t like the questionnaire though.
I mean, they had the make and model already, but still asked height, weight, length? Like I knew that without getting it checked?
But then I hate doing the regular census too.

Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
It's legitimate fuckery. Just more data to massage and proclaim some 'progressive' goal. When the filthy commies announce we are driving too many gas guzzling trucks for no discernable reason, we'll have provided the information.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m1009:

Just got a letter from US dept of commerce, US census bureau. Supposedly we are required to fill it out.
Response (if questioned, after not returning the questionnaire): "Letter? What letter? We didn't receive any letter. The Post Office must have messed up again."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Response (if questioned, after not returning the questionnaire): "Letter? What letter? We didn't receive any letter. The Post Office must have messed up again."

Exactly. With the way the USPS is run, there's no way anybody can argue with that statement.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Exactly. With the way the USPS is run, there's no way anybody can argue with that statement.
You can say that again! I'm still waiting for two checks that a customer mailed one month ago. Absolutely no question about the checks having been mailed; this has been one of my best customers for well over twenty years and they are absolutely dependable about on-time payment. Way more dependable than the postal service (service?).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not answering will affect you social credit score.

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
They need your information so they can send it to CAR SHIELD in order to contact you about your vehicle warranty.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They need to know who has them and what they are used for. Trucks tend to get less milage per gallon. Next move will be to ban trucks for all but those who can demonstrate a “legitimate need” for using a vehicle that destroys the earth.

Only those who need them for work will be given a temporary waver. Elect trucks coming soon.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post