SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Theives got both catalytic converters.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Theives got both catalytic converters. Login/Join 
Picture of fwbulldog
posted
My son's 2001 Sequoia was parked in the gated garage and they got both of his cats. This is a very busy garage in a large apartment complex at Texas State.

Fuckers cost me a lot of money. I have a 2016 Sequoia and a 2019 Tundra at home, and now I'm even more worried about those.

Anybody put in the cat shields or welded in countermeasures?

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Given the efficacy of battery-powered grinders with slitting disks, I'm having trouble visualizing any protection one could put in place.

A determined thief would just cut through it.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Given the efficacy of battery-powered grinders with slitting disks, I'm having trouble visualizing any protection one could put in place.

The object is to get the thief to pick someone else's vehicle.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
quote:

The object is to get the thief to pick someone else's vehicle.

Kinda like "the Club" steering wheel lock Wink

(PH- they mostly use the battery powered sawsall. No sparks)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

They make anti-theft shields that are basically a cage made of thick steel cable and based on how quickly these thieves hit, (like 2-3 minutes per car) that would be enough to discourage them.

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Sorry!

My daughter in law just had her's stolen off her '17 Nissan Rogue.

Now she can't find her driver's license to get a rental car from insurance so I've been driving the grandkids around.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Uugh. I fucking HATE thieves.

And for some reason, booby trapping your property is illegal. Roll Eyes

I could make some very fun devices that would permanently discourage the act.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
There is a very easy way to end this, like tomorrow:

1. Put a serial number on each catalytic converter and make them easy to track
(some makers are starting to do this)

2. Make the penalties for buying and selling stolen catalytic converters VERY heavy.

Until then, it going to continue because apparently it's very lucrative

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
OP's son's car was in TX. They probably went across the border. Most places cats are "regulated".

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Our safety guy's Tundra got hit, in broad daylight, at the office, a few months ago.
Hopefully you're able to get it fixed quickly. It took Toyota quite a while to get him back to normal.

Donut [youtube channel] did an episode on a few of the deterrent devices, but I don't recall the verdict(s) on them.
Full length heavy steel skid plates seem the most effective [and expensive] protection.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Try Talon's garage shields.
Very pleased with the builds.

Valhalla is the other option.

I like the pentagram bolts a bit more for security.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Valhalla's Shields on my Tundra. I can't recommend Talon due to the shady nature of how he started his business.

Posts: 701 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
I have Valhalla's Shields on my Tundra. I can't recommend Talon due to the shady nature of how he started his business.

I agree. However, when it comes to inventory availability may not pay to wait.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
They make anti-theft shields that are basically a cage made of thick steel cable and based on how quickly these thieves hit, (like 2-3 minutes per car) that would be enough to discourage them.

I think it can be this for sure, but it also depends. Time of day (or night), location, and such may seem more favorable for a longer cut.

Then again, I had a coworker walk out the front door of work in downtown Tacoma because someone in the shop said "hey, Jimmy, there's a dude under your car." He ran out and yelled at the guy, who calm as anything, just got out from under the car, hopped in the back of the pickup that was double-parked and idling next to the car, and off they went. Broad daylight, middle of the day, right in the street in full view of God and everyone. Coworker said it was cut halfway through, and if he hadn't walked out when he did, the guy probably would've made off with it. So yes, it absolutely can be a quick hit kind of thing.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I better watch were I park if out!!

Here tucked away in an ultra low crime area, not a concern. Our German Shepard keeps an eye on things too.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I imagine trucks make an easier target as they are generally higher up and easier to get under.
It makes me uneasy as I have a truck. Frown

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO the only way to stop these thieves is to install a hydraulic suspension that puts the frame on the ground. That would make it difficult enough the thieves would move on to an easier vehicle.

Of course there is a simple way to stop this. Make illegal to purchase a catalytic convertor from someone in off the street. Then enforce that law vigorously.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Of course there is a simple way to stop this. Make illegal to purchase a catalytic convertor from someone in off the street. Then enforce that law vigorously.

As mentioned in an earlier post, a large portion of these stolen cats are taken across the border into Mexico.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
A hydraulic suspension with some switch rigged to drop the vehicle onto it's undercarriage in the event a cat is tampered with.
You'd just need to run it through the car wash the next morning.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

1. Put a serial number on each catalytic converter and make them easy to track
(some makers are starting to do this)

This does nothing.

They are cut open and the insides pulverized.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post