SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Just plain rude .
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just plain rude . Login/Join 
posted
My wife and I sat down for breakfast at a local diner . This fat cow sitting at an adjacent table with half of the breakfast menu items spread out in front of her , yapping on the phone , ON SPEAKER . You can tolerate someone having a conversation on the phone but not with the phone blaring the other side of the conversation ..

Posts: 3967 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to 2022.

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
You need to see someone using speakerphone in public as an opportunity: you get to join the conversation whenever you like!

The possibilities are endless!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17243 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Had this happen a couple of years ago. Dingbat was using face time. I was really getting pissed and it was obvious. Guy sitting next to her nudged her and she ended the conversation. Nowadays I'd definitely say something, or just go stand behind her and join in the conversation.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have said something to her but the owner of the Diner is a friend of ours and I didn't want to start any shit in her establishment . Things are hard enough for her . Once she got through shoveling food in her mouth she moved on . I'm just amazed at how inconsiderate people can be to others . We call it " poor learning" .

Posts: 3967 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sister does this all the time. And she is loud. I just walk away. Hard to do at a diner.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is rude behavior, but was it worse because she was fat?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Was it louder than if her and another person were physically sitti g there?
My daughter is in the navy but we still have coffee "together" via face time since it was something we did together every week. I'd say we are quieter and less intrusive to others than if we were both there.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Was it louder than if her and another person were physically sitting there?

Never thought about it that way. It’s obviously not rude to have an in person conversation with someone over lunch. Does the phone being on speaker change that?

Posts: 10803 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prior to the WhooHooFloo, I was seated in McDonalds when the local female TV news anchor came in. She sat two booths from me and broke out a laptop and her phone. She then launched into a very public (but pointlessly inane) conversation with two different people, one on the laptop and one on her phone. When she got up to order or get condiments, she would turn the laptop so the camera could cover her movement. She was oblivious to us watching her. This narcissistic display was way more entertaining than her news broadcasts ever were. Eek

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15991 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
If you're in public, you should be using earbuds/headphones when talking to someone. Using a speakerphone is rude.

Same thing goes for video games, movies, YouTube, etc.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23092 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Well, if she was hot it would make it more tolerable. Smile

Posts: 22847 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Me me me me me me me me me me me me.

That is one of the many things wrong with society today.

And the fact that she was obese with a pile of food in front of her just goes to show that she likely doesn't give a damn about anything...including her own health. What if it were a drunk with a pile of empties in front of him? Would anyone defend that? Obesity and alcoholism are both major health problems, but do we validate the drunk and tell him he's "beautiful" just the way he is?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Just helping you " get the picture " . Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Was it louder than if her and another person were physically sitti g there?
Yes it was louder . Two people sitting across from each other can adjust their voices to the situation at hand . The person on the other end of the phone has no idea how they are coming across so it's up to the other person to turn it down . She obviously didn't care .

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Just keep in mind some of "Para's Rules" for the forum.

Posts: 8999 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
If you're in public, you should be using earbuds/headphones when talking to someone.

Like when the stranger next to you at the urinals starts talking to you?

How ... uncomfortable.

Oh. He has a bluetooth earbud/headphone.

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another reason I can add for not going out to eat for any meal. I dislike people using the speaker on their phone to begin with but while you're at a restaurant is even worse.
I wouldn't even say it's for attention more than they're just dumb and don't care. That and maybe it's hard to shovel a trough full of food in your mouth and hold a phone to your ear.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
If you're in public, you should be using earbuds/headphones when talking to someone.

Like when the stranger next to you at the urinals starts talking to you?

How ... uncomfortable.

Oh. He has a bluetooth earbud/headphone.
Apples and oranges. Different set of decorum expectations in restaurant (i.e. the topic of this thread) vs restroom.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23092 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I'm sitting in the doctor's office, waiting for them to call me back to draw some blood over lunch today, when two women walk in. The younger of the two almost immediately starts complaining to her mother about how her significant other won't listen to her. Really? I wonder why? It can't be your overbearing and grumpy personality could it? I couldn't wait to get out of there and back to the office.

Posts: 12429 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post