SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New puppy...whinging about a blessing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New puppy...whinging about a blessing Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
I have been bugging my lovely wife for 2 years about getting a dog, while she thinks they're cute she has been very strongly against one. Fast forward to last Saturday when I get a text while at drill, a picture of a cute black lab puppy and the question "what time are you done"

So 4 hours later we have a very cute male black lab puppy and due to the short notice we are ill-prepared. My wife did get a kennel and some toys and the breeder gave us some treats and food but otherwise nada.

Now this is not my first puppy but it has been at least 20 years since I went through the joys of puppydom.....

He's a very good 11 Wk old puppy, has had a few accidents, most due to us not noticing the signs or getting scared...he sits well, has almost learned his name, sleeps at night from 2100-0330 or so...pretty damn good for less than a week.

My wife has never had a dog so she is still 50/50 about him "he's cute when he's laying down but otherwise...."

So here's the bitching.....puppies ....god made them cute for a reason Big Grin

And training non-dog people is often harder than training the puppy

Roll Eyes

Here is Loki laying in our office while we work

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking pup!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Your wife will come around. By this time next year she'll kill anyone that harms him. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep, its training you not him LOL

Great looking pup.

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Your wife will come around. By this time next year she'll kill anyone that harms him. Big Grin

Jim

I keep telling her that...like I said she's never had a dog and doesn't "get it"

Give her time

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Can't beat Lab's IMO. Enjoy!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
We call it "training the trainer". It's never the k9's fault, it's the faulty human who doesn't know what they are doing.

Tips:
Feed in the crate.
Water bowl, in the crate.
Timeouts, in the crate.
Sleeping, in the crate.
In the vehicle/trips to anywhere, in the crate.

At the puppies age, every 4 hours, take it out to potty. When it goes, MASSIVE rewards via petting and a treat "Good dog" or "good potty". When the k9 starts nailing it, make a big deal about it like you just won the lottery. House breaking is all about frequency, and regularity.

When the wife needs a break, in the crate, with a toy. An hour a day of training. Hold food back and feed one piece of kibble at a time during training. Until 18 months, 100% supervised, don't let it out of your sight.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
And put the toilet paper roll on top of the counter...or else.Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is a handsome pup.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Adorable pup!

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Great looking pup!

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Potty accidents, the last 3 pups we've had we hung a small bell on a string next to the door. Every time we let him, or made him, go outside we rang the bell. Literally within a couple days they catch on and ring the bell to go out to potty.

Great looking pup.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
Potty accidents, the last 3 pups we've had we hung a small bell on a string next to the door. Every time we let him, or made him, go outside we rang the bell. Literally within a couple days they catch on and ring the bell to go out to potty.

Great looking pup.

Thanks...My wife's boss made the same suggestion...bells in route

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
We call it "training the trainer". It's never the k9's fault, it's the faulty human who doesn't know what they are doing.

Tips:
Feed in the crate.
Water bowl, in the crate.
Timeouts, in the crate.
Sleeping, in the crate.
In the vehicle/trips to anywhere, in the crate.

At the puppies age, every 4 hours, take it out to potty. When it goes, MASSIVE rewards via petting and a treat "Good dog" or "good potty". When the k9 starts nailing it, make a big deal about it like you just won the lottery. House breaking is all about frequency, and regularity.

When the wife needs a break, in the crate, with a toy. An hour a day of training. Hold food back and feed one piece of kibble at a time during training. Until 18 months, 100% supervised, don't let it out of your sight.

Doing some of this, treats for going outside, training only about 30 minutes at night...besides just playing fetch with a long leash.

Why the feeding and water in the crate?

We have a pen coming today, at the moment he sits in the office with us. the doorway is blocked. He goes out after eating and whenever he wakes up or every 30-45 minutes.....been in back yard more in the last 5 days than the last 2 years Big Grin and it is rather enjoyable at 0330

hell since I have reached that age we go out and go together Cool

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Sweet pup. We had a pair of Labs when we were first married, a chocolate and a yellow. They are great dogs

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
When we got Sweet Pea, now a 13 year old black lab, it took her about two months to train my wife to shut the door to her closet. Sweet Pea had a really good appetite for Italian high heal shoes.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've found that having a puppy helped me break my wife of some bad habits.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:

Great looking pup.

Thanks...My wife's boss made the same suggestion...bells in route

Hah! A word of caution- my Plott figured it out quickly: the bell meant “to go outside”- after a while I had to take the bells off the door because she would just go and ring it incessantly to just go out..

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Is there anything in the world better than a Puppy?

What a fine lookin' Pup!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Training looks like it is going well.

He has nailed "Stay!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post