SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Retail websites with popups
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retail websites with popups Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
Brownells is the worst for this. The site loads and I start typing in the search box, only to be interrupted by some obnoxious popup trying to get me to sign up for some mailer or buy some sale item. Then I have to click the little x in the corner to get it out of the way and go back to what I was trying to do...annoying on a PC, downright a PITA on my phone. Those stupid cookie notifications that are everywhere these days are almost as bad.

I'm literally here trying to spend my money on your website...you could at least do me the courtesy of not continually bothering me with this crap. It's bad enough dealing with spam on outside websites...I don't want to see it from companies that I'm actively trying to do business with on their own site.

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drive on over. You are right in the cornfields. Can't be far.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Drive on over. You are right in the cornfields. Can't be far.

Wrong cornfields, but I have been there. It's about 8 hours away. Impressive place, though.

For the record, Brownells isn't the only place doing this, they're just the ones who annoyed me today. The phenomenon is far too prevalent across the board. Marketing/Sales types as a whole are the worst kind of people (I used to have a job where I was involved in purchasing digital solutions, and the technical incopetence and outright dishonesty that I experienced from them was infuriating), and the ones responsible for this particular stupidity ought to be publicly hung upside down by their toenails.

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for clarifying. Those websites do not get my business. I will use the phone.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

Those stupid cookie notifications that are everywhere these days
I believe that the requirement for this started as an EU Legal Directive.

I have not been able to find any U.S.A. legal requirement for this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I just hate those annoying popups. Not just retail, either. Join our mailing list. This month's special. Special discount offer. The ones that will disappear with the ESC key are less annoying than the ones that require navigating to close the box. Most annoying are the ones that wait until you are already browsing the site, then appear in your face.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Many new car dealer websites. Try to browse their inventory and the chat box pops up: "Hi! Can I help you with anything?"

Yeah -- get off my screen.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I use the Ublock Origin ad blocker plug in on my Brave browser and it has started blocking these pop ups but not in a good way. It opens a new tab to show they are blocked and as I'm trying to read what it's blocking the tab then closes. All in just a few seconds. So I'm still interrupted from doing what I'm doing and it closes before I can do anything about it but I get no satisfaction as I'm left wondering what the hell was that all about.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I go to Brownells and don't get those pop ups. I looked and I think it's because I have ad block plus which is free.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I go to Brownells and don't get those pop ups. I looked and I think it's because I have ad block plus which is free.

I run ABP as well, but it's not avaialble for my phone/tablet. It does seem to prevent them from loading on my PC.