SIGforum
Robocalls

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/8530065924

August 28, 2017, 09:54 AM
Steve 22X
Robocalls
Been getting a bunch of robocalls lately.<BR>We can normally ignore numbers that we don't know but these calls hit the answering machine with their sales spiel.<BR><BR>I can understand Doctors offices and such sending a confirmation of appointment message and such but why respond to a company that doesn't have a live representative attempt contact.<BR>Cheap is as cheap does.Have you ever bought anything as a result of a robo-call?YesNo

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward
August 28, 2017, 10:39 AM
ensigmatic
In fact: Spamming me, be it via email, telephone or snail mail, is a nearly certain way to ensure I'll never buy your product.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
August 28, 2017, 11:36 AM
Fredward
Most phone companies have tools for blocking robocalls now. I'm with Spectrum, it's free there.
August 28, 2017, 01:47 PM
DitchDoctor911
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
In fact: Spamming me, be it via email, telephone or snail mail, is a nearly certain way to ensure I'll never buy your product.

I wholeheartedly agree!!
August 29, 2017, 10:45 PM
bryan11
Centurylink advertises a 'no solicitation' feature, but it's not actually available. In fact, they offer nothing to help with robocalls.
They seem to be doing their best to get everyone to drop their service.
August 29, 2017, 11:54 PM
Kskelton
Hate robocalls even more than telemarketers. who buys anything from robocalls or telemarketers? I assume they used to be somewhat useful but with the ease of the internet and evething literally at your fingertips I question how effective they are anymore...

www.OneStopFirearms.com
August 30, 2017, 08:49 AM
henryaz

Has anyone started getting the new "ringless voicemail"? This is supposed to be the new weapon in the assholes' arsenal. Your phone does not ring at all, but it takes the caller straight to your voicemail box. Of course it is used with the robocalling technology, so the voice mails are all recorded ads or scams.

Best I can tell about the technology is that it works with your carrier's voice mail technology somehow. So presumably, if you had your voice mail forwarded for Google Voice to answer it, this would defeat the thing.

August 30, 2017, 09:15 AM
a1abdj
quote:
Has anyone started getting the new "ringless voicemail"? This is supposed to be the new weapon in the assholes' arsenal. Your phone does not ring at all, but it takes the caller straight to your voicemail box. Of course it is used with the robocalling technology, so the voice mails are all recorded ads or scams.

I get one regularly. Some guy calling me about my business line of credit they have approved. It doesn't sound prerecorded, but it does seem scripted.

www.zykansafe.com
August 30, 2017, 10:47 AM
Georgeair
Now that I've moved to MS, I get regular robocalls on work line with a preacher preaching up a storm. I mean getting AFTER it!

Given the poll results above and likely in the rest of the free world, I'm not sure that's the best means of fulfilling their ministry.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

August 31, 2017, 08:09 AM
SIG 229R
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

100% in agreement with this!

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"
September 07, 2017, 09:01 AM
Dead_Eye
If there's one thing the government could do to help EVERYONE it would be to work with the telecom companies and end this nonsense.

How hard can it really be to identify a number (especially one from overseas) that calls random people 10,000 times a day and most people would hang up immediately. I'm sure Google could write an algorithm and cut 95% of the crap just like they did with their email spam filtering.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.