SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Magnum P I suddenly PPV on Amazon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum P I suddenly PPV on Amazon Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
My wife and I have been bingeing Magnum over the past month or so since the current offerings on network tv don’t excite us. We’re on episode 51. Tonight I turned it on and saw Amazon wanted $2.99 an episode. Ain’t happening.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4280 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of changes came at beginning of February. All streaming shows now have commercials as well, unless you want to pay $3/month.

Could be either price gouging or they are known to cycle what is available to stream at any one time with Prime membership. Could be the new month just caught you when they changed availability. They also offer a lot of free first episodes as a way to draw in people for the premium channel subscriptions they offer like Starz and HBO.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2787 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We wanted to watch Groundhog Day and Amazon wanted like $3.99 to watch a 30+ year old movie.

There’s way too much other free or otherwise already paid-for streaming content out there for Amazon to be playing these silly games. Roll Eyes

Posts: 34728 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

They made Justified PPV after years of free.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10885 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty close to livid. I’m been watching Magnum and Hill Street on the treadmill, now they want me to buy seasons of nearly 30 year old show?

Good. I’ve been looking for a reason to drop amazon and pay alacarte.

On a side note, NYPD Blue is ‘freel’ on Hulu, that’s on my watch list so I think I’ll get that started this week.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12409 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There's a payment due on the Bezos Boat. GoFundMe turned him down.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have thousands of unread (by me) books. I can live without whatever without paying extra.

Posts: 17267 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's a payment due on the Bezos Boat. GoFundMe turned him down.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nah it was for his new main squeeze who dresses like Madonna in the 1970s.

Posts: 17578 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It isn't price gouging, or some dirty cash grab by Jeff Bezos.

Unless a provider owns the content outright (like Netflix owns Stranger Things, or HBO owns Game of Thrones, etc.), their exclusive streaming licenses for individual shows/movies are temporary, and expire after a period of time - typically anywhere from a year to several years.

As the current licenses are coming up for expiration, other providers are allowed to bid on them, often resulting in changes in where you can stream that show/movie. Providers that don't hold that streaming license will only be able to sell/rent it as PPV/On Demand, which is a separate deal. (And shows/movies that nobody has purchased a streaming license for will simply disappear from all subscription streaming services altogether, and only be available to buy/rent, or perhaps not be available at all.)

This is a very common thing you see all the time, with many movies and shows shuffling around between different providers, or disappearing altogether for a while until someone eventually picks up the rights later on.

But the streaming providers will almost always warn you ahead of time, with notations on the show/movie's menu screen like: "This show is leaving Amazon Prime Video on January 31st."

So it sounds like Amazon either simply chose not to renew their streaming license for Magnum PI and let it drop off altogether, or else some other provider outbid them and now holds the new license.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post