SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Windshield Wipers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windshield Wipers Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I bought my new to me 2016 Toyota Tacoma back in December of 2021.

I have tried probably 5-6 different types of wipers. Either they bounce and chatter like crazy or leave terrible streaks. I even went to my old patrol car standby Bosch Icons. They chatter, too.

I finally just put on some new Rain X Silicone AdvantEdge blades. We'll see how these do. Now, I gotta wait for it to rain again. First world problems I guess.....

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I wax my windshield with regular car wax, works like a charm. RainX additive in the washer tank works well too

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The OEMs on our 2018 Highlander lasted quite a while.

You might also try some RainX on the windshield to reduce the need to use the wipers and when you do have to use the wipers, they're much more efficient at removing water from the windshield.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bosch Icon were my goto, but WalMart didn't/doesn't carry them anymore.

Got a pair of RainX Expert Fit wipers for my Malibu & they're been fantastic so far, very smooth even on a barely damp windshield.

Wife's Flex needed the Icons replaced, instead we bought a new car Razz
Most expensive set of wipers I've bought.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I used to use RainX on my trucks, still do with the one truck I have. Works fine for a year or so, then needs replacement because of UV degredation.

I've been using OEM wipers on my Ford Bronco Sports for a year and a half simply because they're free and they work fine.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
PIAA silicones. You’ll thank me later.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I like RainX.

Tried some Michelin ones from Costco and they were noisy so I took them back.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put new wipers on my Nissan Titan. Two different sizes! One is 21" the other is 16". Sold separately, of course. Cost me about $45.

Used to buy wiper blade refills in packages of two for common vehicles, about $3 per pair. Of course, the old cars had vacuum-powered wipers, slowed way down when we stomped the accelerator, then slapped back and forth like crazy the rest of the time. Now I have about a dozen settings I can select from, none of which match the weather conditions for more than a block or two.

Probably a cell-phone app to deal with these things, if I had a smart-ass phone to run the app. The old flip phone won't handle much.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I wash my windshield I make it a point to clean the wiper blades too. The amount of crap that comes off them is substantial! Even so, I replace mine every fall, since regardless of brand, they just dont seem to last. Gets pretty pricey but the weather up here requires it. I have been using Bosch and watch for them to go on sale.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
For my Tacoma same issue with so many wiper types which is a shame because I usually love the Bosch but the chatter there was so bad. Just something about that windshield shape.

Denso's were pretty good, but a few months back I swapped in the Rain-X wipers, and they've been great so far. No chattering since then!

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Been down that road before. I've owned at least 1 Toyota since 1986. NOTHING will beat OEM Toyota refills or wiper assembly. The later is only neded if you put those junk aftermarket wiper assembly on.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I use the Costco Michelins--no complaints so far.

How is the acceleration on your 2016??

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
NOTHING will beat OEM Toyota refills or wiper assembly.

I was going to suggest this as well. I found that to be the case with Infiniti refills as well for years on a G35, and suspect Toyota just as good. Sure a little bit more, but well worth it for performance and lifespan.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use rainx on the windshield, and buy the cheapest wipers. I also wash the wipers when I wash the truck.
Wipers are a consumable item. I replace them yearly.
Using the rainX stuff makes the wipers last longer

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I may try waxing the windshield. I use only the orange RainX wash.

The RainX silicones I just put seem to be ok. I'll know more when it rains. They better be great for what they cost.

My acceleration is ok on my truck. Nothing like what my '03 4Runner with V8 was lol. I have looked into a throttle controller like the pedal commander. But, I have read that if I hit the gas pedal more it'll do the same thing so for now I don't think I'm gonna get one. My gas mileage is pretty good. I have the 3.5L and get between 23-26 mpg. I don't drive fast.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Here is the RainX additive that goes in your washer tank, works great. The orange washer fluid doesn't work as well

https://www.rainx.com/product/...sher-fluid-additive/

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I use a spray wax on the windshield. Doesn't matter what wipers I buy anymore.

For you BMW owners, don't use that rainx orange stuff in your washer fluid tank, it'll kill the level sensor.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Benner --I have a Pedal Commander if you are interested--$100. E mail if interested.
Try Rejex on the truck/Windshield. Minimal effort--big improvement.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
It depends, as they say.

If you live in an area with infrequent rain, and blazing hot sun that eats everything up, you can get a "sleeve" that slips over the wiper blade and prevents the sun from deteriorating the wiper blade. The only trick is, you have to remember to remove it when it rains, e.g. Arid Arizona and the Monsoon Season.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I replace the OEM windshield inserts front and rear every year just before the rainy season starts. Seems fairly cheap.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post