SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Giving away your food bank food
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Giving away your food bank food Login/Join 
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
First year as a board member of a local chamber of commerce, we volunteered to help the local food bank give away boxes of food to the needy. Local churches provided the names and they came to the food bank to pick the boxes up. Spent the first half of the prepping the boxes with a variety of food. After lunch I carried the boxes to the cars. I was putting boxes of food meant for the needy into cars I couldn’t afford then or now. Mercedes, Cadillacs, F450’s,… What an eye opener. This was back in the 90’s and I hear it hasn’t changed.

Posts: 5745 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We keep various foodstuffs for emergencies, stuff that keeps well. About two months before it expires, we give it to a food bank. When I was a kid and not fed regularly, I most certainly would have eaten it.

Posts: 17245 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I grew up with a small 6x8" wood shellaced sign that hung in our kitchen that said "Chearful Eaters Eat Well in My Kitchen, Complainers Get Dismal Dinners. Texas huh? If I were in a position of need like that, and ever grateful I'm not, I would happily accept all the pulled pork samiches that could be obtained from all those helicopter hunts Big Grin.

Posts: 3586 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I don’t give money to the homeless people on every single corner at almost every freaking intersection. Instead, I offer either bottled water or some type of packaged food like granola bar, cheese and crackers, peanuts, etc. Most are holding a sign saying they are hungry or that anything helps. I can’t tell you the number of times they refuse to accept food and ask for cash instead. Nope…..sorry.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8735 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
First year as a board member of a local chamber of commerce, we volunteered to help the local food bank give away boxes of food to the needy. Local churches provided the names and they came to the food bank to pick the boxes up. Spent the first half of the prepping the boxes with a variety of food. After lunch I carried the boxes to the cars. I was putting boxes of food meant for the needy into cars I couldn’t afford then or now. Mercedes, Cadillacs, F450’s,… What an eye opener. This was back in the 90’s and I hear it hasn’t changed.
No , it hasn't . I volunteered at a FB and there were plenty of people that were scamming the system .

Posts: 4234 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
There is no scamming the system around here, everyone is welcome for self serve, if you want food boxed up for seniors (over 60) you have a income limit depending on house hold size and any kids.

It's earned income only, not what you own or how much you have in the bank.

They are not doing any thing wrong, just taking what the State offers them.

https://ourneighborsfarm.org/visiting-the-pantry/

Posts: 1358 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our Food Bank is funded and supplied strictly by donations . There is ZERO oversight by any Government agency . You must reside in the city limits and provide proof of residency . There is an income limit and that must be documented as well . The number of people ( documented )in the household determines the amount of food distributed . At Christmas and Thanksgiving , turkeys and hams are given out to the members along with extra food for holiday meals .
It sounds like a very regimented process and I suppose it is . It also minimizes the amount of food that is distributed to people that are just looking for a freebie .

Posts: 4234 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:

The democrat motto..."If it's free, it's for me"

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post