SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Drivers License Plus State Or Fed Picture ID To Rent Car?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drivers License Plus State Or Fed Picture ID To Rent Car? Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted
Just got my second notice from Budget Rent A Car for my upcoming SUV reservation.

They said both times that I must have a hard copy of my drivers license (no electronic copy) and that I MAY have to submit a second form of ID, State or Federal with a picture on it.

Anybody seen or heard anything like this lately? I've been renting cars several times a year for over 30 years and never saw or heard anything like this before.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Up until the pandemic, I rented a car 4 or 5 times a year. Every time I picked up the car they asked to see my driver's license. I've never been asked for a second form of ID. Maybe its more of a caution that they MIGHT need additional info. (Which might be tough since most of us don't have multiple government issued photo IDs)

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to show both renting a car in Phoenix a while back. Used my KY license and passport card.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I wonder, in AZ you are close to the border, they may be concerned about their car going across?

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Been a while since I've rented, but that's new to me.
I've got my DL & LTC, so I'd assume that would suffice for 2 IDs.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15288 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I wonder, in AZ you are close to the border, they may be concerned about their car going across?

No, it's a rental I pick up in Kailua-Kona Hawaii

I thought about bringing my Utah CCW as it's got my picture on it and the Arizona CCW doesn't, but thought perhaps a Passport Card would be better.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, you might drive it back home!
One can never be too safe...

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non Nobis Solum
posted Hide Post
That’s a new one to me and I rented in Utah and California in the past month for work.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 3615 | Location: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
As far as picture form of ID the bank that we use has a card posted in the glass window at the drive up is a valid state issued concealed carry permit. Never really thought about using my CHP(concealed hand gun permit) (Louisiana) for other ID reasons.. But maybe others could and would accept it for many applications. Possibly even car rental agencies. .....That is if they aren"t to "WOKE"........... drill sgt.

Posts: 2001 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Is your state Real ID compliant?

That's the only thing I can think of is trying to verify ID on people whose state doesn't truly verify identity and instead gives out driver's licenses to every Santiago, Musa, and Zhang.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Massachusetts has question on the ballot for drivers licenses for illegals, more wonderful thinking from our progressive leftists.

Posts: 2770 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I rent cars regularly from Avis and National and have never needed more than my DL.

I would bet that tatortodd is right and there is some new requirements based on this Real ID thing. As soon as Real ID became a thing and GA started offering it I went and updated my license so maybe that’s why I’ve never been asked for more than my DL.

Even if your state offers it not everyone will have one since their older DL may still be valid at the state level.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Arizona offers the REAL ID but I have the old license for now. I'll take my passport card with me just in case and report back after I rent it.

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
My DL is Real ID. My carry permit is the only other picture ID I have. Anyone who wants a second form gets that. I imagine there are some places one might go where it might raise an eyebrow. Good, too bad.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
I rented a car last month, near Charleston, SC.
A DL was the only ID required.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I also work as an Elections Inspector aka poll worker for the local government.

During my training class the question was asked of what forms of I.D. are acceptable.

Michigan law states Federal or State issued I.D. Michigan CPL’s are not acceptable as even though they are imprinted State of Michigan they are county issued and hence not acceptable at a polling place.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, don't show law enforcement ID. They'll assume the car is going undercover and have the bolts beat out of it.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Budget Rent A Car

Link to the ID requirements

Other forms of ID

1. Valid Driver’s License
When you arrive to pick up your rental car reservation, you will need to show a valid driver’s license issued in the U.S. or Canada with your name on it. Budget does not accept digital driver’s licenses for rental. Please bring a hard copy of your drivers licensee at the time of rental. If you would like to rent a car in the United States but you are from Canada, you will also need to present a current passport or Enhanced Driver’s License with your name on it.

If you are from any other country, you will need to show a driver’s license and passport. And if you are from a country that does not use the Roman alphabet for writing, you will need a driver’s license, passport, and an International Driving Permit in your name. All renters from outside the U.S. and Canada must also show proof of a return trip to the country where they live or their rental rates may change.

Other Forms of ID
Renters using a debit card may be asked for a third form of ID, in addition to their license and debit card. The following are acceptable as a third form of identification:

A round-trip airline ticket, e-ticket, or travel itinerary to or from the airport of rental, disclosing a return date and showing the renter's name (airport locations only)

A valid U.S. passport or current U.S. military identification card

A current vehicle insurance card

A current copy (within the last 60 days) of the customer's cellular phone bill, home telephone bill, bank statement or utility bill

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I also work as an Elections Inspector aka poll worker for the local government.

During my training class the question was asked of what forms of I.D. are acceptable.

Michigan law states Federal or State issued I.D. Michigan CPL’s are not acceptable as even though they are imprinted State of Michigan they are county issued and hence not acceptable at a polling place.

It probably doesn't help that there's no address on MI CPL's to match up w/ the voter log.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
Don’t know if that enters into it.

From my training manual:

If the voter does not have a driver’s license or state ID you may accept one of the following forms of photo identification instead:
U.S. Passport
Military ID card with photo
Student ID with photo (issued by a high school or an accredited institution of higher education
Tribal ID with photo
Other State or Federal government issued photo ID

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post