SIGforum
Chickens!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/8370010694

November 04, 2022, 07:05 PM
Herkdriver
Chickens!
I got home about sunset this afternoon and there were 4 damn chickens in my backyard! 3 hens, 1 roster. I don't like chickens (unless they are on my plate) and I don't want chickens. To the best of my knowledge none of my neighbors have any chickens (I live in town). I have enough livestock on the farm, I don't need any at my house!

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson
November 04, 2022, 07:26 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Chicken dumping a serious problem. That should make headlines on your local news. A chicken in every pot, and you got yours.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ZSMICHAEL,
November 04, 2022, 07:52 PM
parabellum
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I guess the Dems fufilled their promise of a chicken in every pot
Think so?

How did politics get in here?
November 04, 2022, 08:09 PM
Pyker
quote:
How did politics get in here?

Someone abandoned them, and ran away.
November 04, 2022, 09:19 PM
OKCGene
Do you live near a KFC?

And that's why the Chickens cross the road.

Getting away from Colonel Sanders.

(sorry)
November 04, 2022, 09:48 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Sorry. Modified
November 04, 2022, 09:50 PM
Scooter123
Think Positive, FREE EGGS. Yeah the poop reeks but if you live in Farm country you'll find the farmers love it for fertilizer so put in a garden and you'll have a good start at living off the grid.

I've stopped counting.
November 04, 2022, 10:07 PM
preten2b
You've answered the question of which came first!!

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis
November 05, 2022, 06:49 AM
Blume9mm
A guy was telling me about when he worked at a chicken processing place.... (nope, don't worry, I'm not going in there). big 18 wheelers would pull up and back in and start unloading the cages of chickens and every time a couple would escape. then about once a week a mystery van would back up next door at the end of the empty lot with tall grass... about 10 folks of foreign descent would get out and go to the other end of the lot and start beating the grass and working back toward the van that had its back door open and heard the loose chickens into it.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
November 05, 2022, 07:01 AM
sourdough44
Just wait some, those chickens will be gone. Besides the normal predators, neighborhood dogs will kill or scatter them.
November 05, 2022, 08:41 AM
dsiets
I'm probably the only one that watched this show.

November 05, 2022, 09:39 AM
Herkdriver
Still there this morning. To add to the mystery, some were also dumped at my vet's office, he found them in his livestock working pen. His place is on the outskirts of town, about a mile from my house.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson
November 05, 2022, 02:21 PM
drill sgt
Be very careful using the chicken droppings for fertilizer because it is very hot/acidic and if too much is used in a heavy concentration will be too strong and do more damage to the plants...Learned this fact back in the early 60"s when raising chickens for a 4-H project and we used the droppings in the vegie garden and killed off a lot of the plants. ......................... drill sgt.
November 06, 2022, 01:57 PM
mindustrial
My brother went hunting at a st. park in Ohio. When he came back to his truck, there was a chicken on the hood of his truck. He went to shoe it away, and was pecked in the knee by another chicken sitting on his tire in his wheel well. He said after he chased them away into the woods, he was loading truck and they came back after him. He said they were tough & chewy, and wished they just stayed in the woods.
November 06, 2022, 07:31 PM
jimb888
Bizarre, especially since none of your neighbors have any. How about putting a craigslist ad? My son likes to refresh his flock as they disappear or get noshed by predators. "Free chickens, you catch".
November 06, 2022, 08:58 PM
David Lee
They are just migrating.. Big Grin
November 07, 2022, 09:21 AM
mojojojo
Have you done anything untoward lately? Hopefully these aren't the chickens coming home to roost. Razz

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.
November 07, 2022, 02:15 PM
Herkdriver
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
Have you done anything untoward lately? Hopefully these aren't the chickens coming home to roost. Razz

No, not really Smile I did miss church yesterday but that was due to illness. Other than that I have been good!

They were back again this morning Mad

November 07, 2022, 03:38 PM
ulsterman
They are everywhere out where we live. Our best guess is people in the city get them to raise, get in over their heads and bring them out here to abandon.

Same people who turn dogs, cats and other animals loose.
November 07, 2022, 04:49 PM
LS1 GTO
Why did the chicken cross the road?

Answer from…

Albert Einstein: Whether the chicken crossed the road or the road crossed the chicken depends upon your frame of reference.

Aristotle: To actualise its potential.

B.F. Skinner: Because the external influences which had pervaded its sensorium from birth had caused it to develop in such a fashion that it would tend to cross roads, even while believing these actions to be of its own free will.

Buddha: If you meet the chicken on the road, kill it.

Carl Jung: The confluence of events in the cultural gestalt necessitated that individual chickens cross roads at this historical juncture, and therefore synchronicitously brought such occurrences into being.

Charles Darwin: It was the logical next step after coming down from the trees.

David Hume: Out of custom and habit.

Douglas Adams: Forty-two.

Emily Dickinson: Because it could not stop for death.

Ernest Hemingway: To die. In the rain. Alone.

Henry David Thoreau: To live deliberately… and suck all the marrow out of life.

Hippocrates: Because of an excess of light pink gooey stuff in its pancreas.

Jack Nicholson: ‘Cause it fucking wanted to. That’s the fucking reason.

Samuel L Jackson: What Jack said, mother fucker.

J.F. von Goethe: The eternal hen-principle made it do it.

Karl Marx: It was a historical inevitability.

Mark Twain: The news of its crossing has been greatly exaggerated.

Nietzsche: Because if you gaze too long across the Road, the Road gazes also across you.

Plato: For the greater good.

Samuel L Jacksopn: Say 'chicken' again. Say 'chicken' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say 'chicken' one more Goddamn time!

Ralph Waldo: Emerson It didn’t cross the road; it transcended it.

Salvador Dali: The Fish.

Timothy Leary: Because that’s the only kind of trip the Establishment would let it take.

Zeno of Elea: To prove it could never reach the other side.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime