SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Mice -- war has been declared
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mice -- war has been declared Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
It was a unaminous vote. 1-0.

I went to my "go bag" in the garage, where I was thinking about which handgun and magazine would be ideal for it.

There, in the go bag, I had placed foil-wrapped and sealed protein bars and glucose-gels. I figured in an emergency, I would need something.

But, my error was placing the go bag where the evil mice could find it. There, next to the safe, they entered and wreaked havoc. I always wonder what wreaking is. Havoc I understand. But wreaking?

So, a few minutes of vacuuming out the foil wrapper shreds, and wiping out the glucose gel. From a very very expensive go bag. Thankfully no fabric was harmed in the making of this catastrophe. But, there was sufficient poop in the bag to consider wiping it out with disinfectant. Why bother?

It's drying out now. But, there are now four mouse glue traps in various places in the garage. More to come. I know what they want. I can put it as bait in more traps. And then, a funeral pyre will be lit, visible for miles around, with the remains of the militant mouses.

I want a garage cat.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
peanut butter,

just a small dab right in the middle of the glue board,

if you use a traditional snap trap, get a cotton ball, rub peanut butter in it, and then (using bread ties or similar small wire) tie it to the trigger,

mice love peanut butter, and will tug on the cotton, releasing the trigger,

btw, mice travel along things, not generally across a room, so have the traps or boards near the wall or safe sides etc

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Traps are at known travel lanes, based on poop seen. Hope to send them to the dump on Tuesday with the rest of the trash.

-------

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Careful, you may be dealing with big muscular mice now, jacked up on protein bars and glucose gel. Big Grin

I use cheese in traps because it's traditional. lol No seriously, I use cheese with peanut butter on it. For whatever reason I've found it works better than straight PB. Maybe it gives them something harder to work on. Chewed soft toostie roll with PB works well too, but I never have them unless I buy them just for the traps. Then I end up eating the other 95% of them, so I don't buy them. lol I don't often have mice problems at home, but I'm hard core with the traps at the family cabin. I killed 17 in just over a week two years ago. Good lord.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the houses I lived in had mice that lived in the kitchen cabinets. They coexisted happily with my disinterested cat. I bought some clear plastic traps that captured them alive. Every day the traps were occupied and I would take them outside into the back yard and kick them loose. Rinse and repeat with no real progress. my wife told me to number them with fingernail polish, since she felt they were just coming back inside after release. Finally used poison traps to deal with them.
And if they have nested in your wall voids and they die in there, or if the mice babies die after you snuff the parents, then you get a long time lingering smell of.... Decomposition! Eek
Good luck!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
It was a unaminous vote. 1-0.

I went to my "go bag" in the garage, where I was thinking about which handgun and magazine would be ideal for it.

There, in the go bag, I had placed foil-wrapped and sealed protein bars and glucose-gels. I figured in an emergency, I would need something.

But, my error was placing the go bag where the evil mice could find it. There, next to the safe, they entered and wreaked havoc. I always wonder what wreaking is. Havoc I understand. But wreaking?

So, a few minutes of vacuuming out the foil wrapper shreds, and wiping out the glucose gel. From a very very expensive go bag. Thankfully no fabric was harmed in the making of this catastrophe. But, there was sufficient poop in the bag to consider wiping it out with disinfectant. Why bother?

It's drying out now. But, there are now four mouse glue traps in various places in the garage. More to come. I know what they want. I can put it as bait in more traps. And then, a funeral pyre will be lit, visible for miles around, with the remains of the militant mouses.

I want a garage cat.

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin Nicely written! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I agree, the glue traps are the way to go. Once you caught one, it’s a short trip to outside, flip it over glue side down to the ground and just step on it to put the mouse out of his misery.

When I first put some out in NC, Mrs. Mike foolishly asked if I was gonna unglue them and take them somewhere. When I told her how it works she was mortified….she’s a city girl.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The lady at the coop says they are reusable. She spoke of a woman who caught 30 rats using one glue trap. She would take the trap outside and pry it off. I tried that with a mouse he came off in pieces but I was able to reuse the trap. No thanks

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I despise the vile, foul vermin they are. Best wishes to dispatch them all to hell with extreme prejudice.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The lady at the coop says they are reusable. She spoke of a woman who caught 30 rats using one glue trap. She would take the trap outside and pry it off. I tried that with a mouse he came off in pieces but I was able to reuse the trap. No thanks

You can get them off with Dawn detergent, that's if you care enough to waste the time.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
OK, how impoverished are you? You want to reuse the glue trap? Toss the trap, mouse included, into an old bread bag and start over.

I was once named "great white hunter" at the dairy where I worked. That for killing the most mice. I thought it fun. Lots of possible baits, those mentioned as well as bacon, cream, you name it. Mice are kind of dumb and commit suicide with almost anything. Try different baits and you'll find a good one. But before long even they "smarten" up and you'll need something different. Its not a one time thing, its a long drawn out war.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Several ways to do this for next to nothing or buy the "rolling log" --

Another 5 gallon bucket trap, way too much work but a nasty, nasty video --

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Back when I was a kid, the merchants in town paid me a bounty per rat I killed on their premises. I used the big old rat traps, baited with peanut butter and a fragment of bacon. I caught some BIG damn rats! And a few were so big, they weren't quite dead because the trap only caught a leg or a tail.

Those got dispatched with my Crossman 760. Which I purchased and fed with the proceeds from my rat hunting. Good times!

Good luck and good hunting! Smile Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I got one of those battery powered rat electrocutioner traps.

Holy shit it kills them.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I got one of those battery powered rat electrocutioner traps.

Holy shit it kills them.

Me too, have 2 and I’ve been feeding one or several hawks all winter. He stops in daily where I toss them.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is a garage cat like a trunk monkey?

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Serious reply - a steel ammo can is mouse-proof and will hold two 5-pound bags of flour nicely... I was forced to find that out. They should do well for emergency food stashed in a car, as well.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Three traps baited, one unbaited. I waited with bated breath all night, hoping to see any evil mouses JIF-ed.

Alas, this morning, the traps remain empty. The evil mouses remained in their domiciles, rather than invading mine.

I imagine there is a temperature below which they stay in a hole, and above which they move to seek more food.

I will continue gathering wood for the funeral pyre.

-------

posted Hide Post
What is their food source? I usually start there. Killing them is easy - but helping them seek shelter elsewhere is even easier.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've dealt with mice for years - once they establish a beachhead they are extremely difficult to eradicate, due to how many offspring a mating pair can generate.

You need a two-prong defense. First, destroy their habitat by removing or securing anything that might attract them and locking off any access points. Second, capture and terminate with extreme prejudice any and all you can.

I've used every mousetrap known to man, and have had the best success with the smallest Havahart live trap baited with peanut butter and placed along their travel lanes. Of course, because I have no "hart", once a suspect is contained I drop the trap in a 5 gallon bucket of water for a time period incompatible with life. The Victor Tin Cat runs a close second , with the added benefit of being able to capture more than one perp at a time.

I do have an actual cat, who occasionally will score a kill, but often just plays with them.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post