SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Abuse of the word "vintage".
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abuse of the word "vintage". Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I guess it sounds better than "old, useless piece of crap" but every other ad on Craigslist is "Vintage this" and "Vintage that."

You seriously think I'm going to pay $50 for a Black and Decker plastic drill motor from the 70's because it's "vintage"?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
#2 most abused word in Craigslist and eBay ads: "patina". As in the finish is thrashed and the item looks like it was just dug out of a septic tank but... it has a nice patina.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
You seriously think I'm going to pay $50 for a Black and Decker plastic drill motor from the 70's because it's "vintage"?

$50? Not for a vintage drill motor... But perhaps for a 1960s "antique" drill motor. Wink

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I guess Pawn Stars has started an epidemic with paying so much for old shit.
True they make a determination of collectability and resale but now everybody thinks their old stuff is uber-valuable .... just because it is old.
Hence everything is vintage now. Eek

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
My wife sells stuff online. She'll occasionally tag stuff as "vintage" because it's a common search term for what she sells, but she freely admits it means absolutely nothing unless you're discussing wine.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Paul, did someone give you a senior discount down at Denny’s without you asking for it? Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Paul, did someone give you a senior discount down at Denny’s without you asking for it? Smile

Hah! Local Denny's didn't survive the Covid Scare (it wasn't doing all that well before anyway) but the gal at Dunkin' Donuts doesn't even ask.

I'd be offended if I wasn't such a cheap bastard... Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Well, that's vintage Craigslist for you.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I often use the search term "vintage holsters" on EBay when looking for older holsters. Amazing the nasty old crap people are trying to sell.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Like this, Paul?

Why, those things are lying about all over the place. Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Like this, Paul?

Why, those things are lying about all over the place. Razz

I had one of those, it was my very first drill. Used it to polish the cars and when the sleeve bearings wore out and it started squaling like a giant herd of babies I tossed it into the trash and bought a Dewalt drill. I've had the Dewalt for something around 35 years and it's still a nice quiet drill.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I guess it sounds better than "old, useless piece of crap" but every other ad on Craigslist is "Vintage this" and "Vintage that."

It's just a fancy way of saying 'used'. Just to differentiate from the low-brow kind of 'used' that you find in thrift stores. No this is the kind of 'used' you pay a markup for. Big Grin

Yeah I grew up in a city famous for its 'vintage clothing' stores.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I see it used to describe old hand planes that I'm looking at a lot, that tend to have "patinas" (meaning they're ratty old planes that are severely neglected and rusted out). Part of the issue there is that someone will buy it as a decorative piece at a stupid price, and the whole used market goes up.

I've been lusting after a solid sole Stanley (Bailey) #8 bench plane for years, and while a #7 that fits the bill can be had for $120 easily the larger jointer plane apparently starts at $80 more for the decent ones. I have no problem paying for what I want, but that's not to say that I'm happy to spend the extra coin.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
How about "classic car"? You know, the one sitting in chest high weeds with the hood up, that's rusted into oblivion :-)

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
Some people think a day old is Vintage.
I deal with it in Mitchell Reels, if it has Garcia on left case is Not a 1953.
Did name my Business Vintage Tackle.
No Chinese junk sold by me.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a watch collector in addition to things that go bang. I'll go on flea bay once in awhile for amusement. The first quartz watch was made in about 1969. The majority of inexpensive watches in the 80's and 90's were quartz, and GENERALLY nothing special. On the bay these are referred to as "vintage." Yeah vintage junk maybe. A Guess fashion quartz watch from then isn't collectible. Now they describe the hands and dials as having patina. It's usually dirt, mold, or water damage. Natural aging on the dials and hands are usually the flaking and aging of the varnish on the dials and lume on the hands.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Don't turn on the radio Paul.

Turned on "classic rock" the other day, and it was Soundgarden. Eek

Maybe we're just getting old......

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 19tass:
How about "classic car"? You know, the one sitting in chest high weeds with the hood up, that's rusted into oblivion :-)

Probably around 1999-2000 a young guy come to the parts counter in the Pontiac dealership I worked at. He said he was restoring a antique car and needed some parts. When I asked him,what he was working on he said “1980 Chevette”

Lost my mouth filter that day, looked at him and said “Why?”

He still bought several hundred dollars in parts over the next few months though!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by 19tass:

Probably around 1999-2000 a young guy come to the parts counter in the Pontiac dealership I worked at. He said he was restoring a antique car and needed some parts. When I asked him,what he was working on he said “1980 Chevette”

Lost my mouth filter that day, looked at him and said “Why?”

He still bought several hundred dollars in parts over the next few months though!

I refer to those as: "A piece of Chevette"

Posts: 7450 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Vintage is certainly over used and misused. "Tactical" is even worse. That term is like the hot sauce--they put that shit on everything!

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 234 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post