SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lucky me, the doctor put me on prednisone, and the side effect wheel of fortune stopped on...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lucky me, the doctor put me on prednisone, and the side effect wheel of fortune stopped on... Login/Join 
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted
Headache and insomnia

This is fucking wonderful

Went back for the month checkup after my emergency spinal surgery on Easter Sunday, and the doc didn’t like the way my nerves are recovering so he gave me this pack

I will admit that some of the symptoms I’ve been experiencing in my back/leg seem a little better, but my fucking head is killing me and it’s damn near 0230 and I have not slept at all after getting maybe 4 hours last night

So I looked up the side effects

Ding, ding, ding

I’m only supposed to take it for 6 days, but I’m not sure that this is better....at least with the other medications I am on I could get to slsep with the back/leg issues

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Welcome to my world. I must take 10mg/day Prednisone, sometimes more, probably for the rest of my life to control severe eczema. I've stopped counting the side effects. Perhaps some of you have noticed the odd hours I typically post. Not my first choice.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sucks brother. I am fortunate that I only have 4-5 more days of this It’s now 0300. I’m going to try and get at least some sleep before I have to get up at 6

Hopefully you get some sleep tonight as well

——————————————————

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Yesterday was the first day for me with the 6 5 4 3 2 1 pack.

No insomnia, but I woke up a few times from a good sleep, really had to pee.

I did not see this listed in the side effects.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Edit: now 0500. I’m done trying. Is your prednisone at least helping?

I still have yet to sleep....almost 0430 now....I’m extremely tempted to just give up and get up

——————————————————

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
My wife was on it for two years for Wegeners Disease. As they backed her off she had horrific headaches. She also had some facial swelling while on it.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

Edit: now 0500. I’m done trying. Is your prednisone at least helping?

I still have yet to sleep....almost 0430 now....I’m extremely tempted to just give up and get up
My knee is much less painful today. I have no clue wether the prednisone is helping, or if it's just the passage of time, with the Baker's cyst starting to drain on its own. No clue.

Back story: the clinic (Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic in the Orlando area) seems to be very quick to grab a needle for cortisone injection.

My previous interaction with them was the other knee, which they diagnosed as an arthritis problem. I told them that I would not object to the cortisone injection, but would like to try something less invasive first, so we did the 6 5 4 3 2 1 prednisone. I have not had any problem with that knee since then.

Same story with the current problem. They wanted to inject, I said "let's try something less intrusive first," so I'm taking the prednisone six day diminishing dose plan. Today is second day, I can actually walk in the house with cane today instead of walker. I'll use the walker for added stability if I venture out into the community, but I don't need it in the safety of my own home. I need to equip the walker with a cup holder, an oooga horn, and a holster. Wink

If I have to get up to pee after 4:30, I just stay up. I have kitchen duty most mornings, as the normal day my wife is getting ready to go to her office for her scheduled patients, I have a task list for myself for the day but usually no specific times as long as everything gets done.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I hate prednisone. In addition to the insomnia it usually makes me sweat really bad. I’ve work. Up a few times with the sheets wet, like I had a fever break in my sleep.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m still awake.

The gave it to me in the hospital, but I have no idea what the dosage was...this is one of these 6 day packs, with the hope it knocks down some of the nerve issues...if it doesn’t, more imaging, maybe more surgery

——————————————————

posted Hide Post
Enjoy, last time I took that, while driving I realized I did not know where I was, where I was going and/or why. That was fun!!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I can’t take that stuff either, and for the same reasons. It also makes me super aggressive.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just called the nurse line to see if they want me to keep taking it. I’ve now been awake going on 32 hours and I’m not noticing a marked improvement in my symptoms

As an aside, V-Tail it sounds like we have similar lives as I am on daily errand duty and my wife is currently seeing patients.

——————————————————

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7960007054

Yep, classic Prednisone side effects. Sorry to hear it, man. I hate being on that stuff. The sweats, the inability to sleep, and the pure rage make it miserable.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A little internet searching reveals that side effects of Prednisone include both constipation and diarrhea. Per the signature line of one of our members, I'm confused. Wait . . . maybe I'm not.

Potassium levels are lowered. I'm going to snack on some dates now.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Nurse hasn’t called me back so I’m still going. Almost 37 hours awake now. I’m not really aggressive, and, believe it or not, I went up to our medical office and my wife put me on pure O2 for 10 minute and my head ache is much better

I wonder, at what point, I start to like see shit. When I was in the Army I went long stretches without much appreciable sleep....but I’m a lot older now

——————————————————

Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
I used to go absolutely psycho if I was on a dose-pack (5-6 day step-down). With my COPD I sometimes go on 60 mg/day, dropping 5-10 mg every 3-7 days. Maybe you adjust to it, but I really don't have any of the side effects (rage, sweats, sleeplessness) anymore, except appetite. If it's not nailed down, I eat it. If it is nailed down, I look for a crowbar to get it lose!

Happy to say, it does help.

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
urse hasn’t called me back so I’m still going. Almost 37 hours awake now. I’m not really aggressive, and, believe it or not, I went up to our medical office and my wife put me on pure O2 for 10 minute and my head ache is much better

I wonder, at what point, I start to like see shit. When I was in the Army I went long stretches without much appreciable sleep....but I’m a lot older now

Sleep deprivation results in hallucinations and psychosis. Heck ask your wife what to do. She knows the basics of steroid usage and effects. If I recall correctly she is a pediatrician.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She is, yes....she thinks the prednisone is helping my back, so I named to try to give it a go....we will discuss alternative options to get to sleep I’m sure when she gets home

——————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
She is, yes....she thinks the prednisone is helping my back, so I named to try to give it a go....we will discuss alternative options to get to sleep I’m sure when she gets home

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Steroid induced insomnia is real, and can be difficult to reverse. Sounds like you are on top of it.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. I have insomnia as it is. When I get prednisone I can’t sleep at all and it makes me irritable. REALLY irritable. I start to make Red Foreman look like a cuddly bunny.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post