SIGforum
So Harbor Freight finally has a 20% off coupon for the first time in forever

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/8230066284

June 13, 2021, 08:48 AM
Oz_Shadow
So Harbor Freight finally has a 20% off coupon for the first time in forever
So HF finally has a 20% off coupon for the first time in forever. I know a lot of their items are not exactly the best quality but I have had my eye on that ultrasonic cleaner for a while. $90 just seems a bit much for it and my uses. With 20% off that price, it's a bit more tempting.

Nope! Fine print on the 20% off coupon excludes pretty much every decent item in the store.

Here I am already committed to a shopping trip that involves going to those other craft type stores my wife wants to go in while I was to stop at HF.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oz_Shadow,
June 13, 2021, 08:59 AM
LS1 GTO
I remember many years ago receiving a coupon for Hard Rock Cafe in La Jolla (as I recall).

25% off to exclude food, beverages, and merchandise.

Think about that for a minute. Wink

(Coupon was an error. Was supposed to be only for merchandise.)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

June 13, 2021, 09:40 AM
flesheatingvirus
Great!
What’s HF?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
June 13, 2021, 10:11 AM
MikeGLI
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Great!
What’s HF?

I was wondering the same.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.
June 13, 2021, 10:14 AM
.38supersig
Cardboard Frei...

Err.

Harbor Freight?

A store chock full of second rate tools and single use items at prices you'll never confuse with a trip to the Snap-on truck.

June 13, 2021, 10:33 AM
ridgerat
Harbor Freight?

People actually buy stuff there?

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League
June 13, 2021, 10:57 AM
ZSMICHAEL
I do not go to HF I use SO. Bring on the acronyms.
June 13, 2021, 11:18 AM
Windhover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXlvy3sTTBk
June 13, 2021, 12:15 PM
ArtieS
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
Harbor Freight?

People actually buy stuff there?

Yup. Low use tools get bought there. Stuff I use all the time is American name brand. Stuff that I need for one project is HF. For example, I haven't needed a sawzall in 25 years. I needed one for one project. I got the HF, and it was great. If I ever need one again, I have it, but I haven't tied up almost $200 in a Milwaukee.

Their Daytona car jacks are also good. My mechanic uses those jacks exclusively, and has no complaints.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
June 13, 2021, 12:20 PM
vthoky
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Yup. Low use tools get bought there. Stuff I use all the time is American name brand. Stuff that I need for one project is HF.

I heard a story told by a construction equipment mechanic. He said his choice for wrenches and such was Harbor Freight. Asked why, his response was essentially, "If I have to weld a cheater bar onto it, I'm okay with that. If I lose it in the mud, I'm not out much."

God bless America.
June 13, 2021, 12:25 PM
ArtieS
^^^^^ HF's black, high impact sockets are nigh on indestructible. I put a 24 inch bar on one and jumped up and down on it to free a stuck lugnut, and neither the bar, nor the socket were damaged.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
June 13, 2021, 02:40 PM
Black92LX
People are silly.
There are plenty of solid tools at Harbor Freight.
One just has to be realistic about what one is buying and what it will be used for.
My shop is chock full of Harbor Freight stuff.
It’s also chock full of the high end stuff.

Daytona jacks sold at Harbor Freight are great.
The US General Tool chests blow Craftsman tool chests out of the water.
I have both and the US Generals are far superior.

I believe their 20% off has pretty much gone away all together now they have started the annual paid club/membership thing.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
June 13, 2021, 03:14 PM
sigcrazy7
There’s nothing wrong with their ICON line. Many of their Pittsburg are also ok. I usually buy tarps and stuff like cotter key assortments there.

To pull the injection pump from a Cummins big cam 400 or N14, you need a boxed end wrench shaped like a crescent. You can buy a specialized one for $150, or buy a $3 HF boxed end, heat it with acetylene, and bend it to your needs.

HF has its place.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
June 13, 2021, 03:49 PM
Flash-LB
There are a LOT of good tools at Harbor Freight for hobby/home use, just not a lot that are good for commercial use.

You just have to be careful what you buy.
June 13, 2021, 05:25 PM
Oz_Shadow
Yes Harbor Freight. Sorry. I though the 20% coupon and HF was obvious.
June 13, 2021, 06:55 PM
mcrimm
Of course folks buy stuff there. We’re moving soon. I bought 24 big moving blankets for $8 each yesterday. Unbelievable.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
June 14, 2021, 09:17 AM
vinnybass
I have some of their Icon sockets. They're solid.

Cheap tarps & ratchet straps.

Also use their welding wire, cutoff & grinder wheels, wire wheels, sander discs, & reciprocating saw blades.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."
June 14, 2021, 11:02 AM
Flash-LB
And what I consider their best tool for those of us who take guns apart, the magnetic parts holder.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...ts-holder-61428.html
June 14, 2021, 11:39 AM
Mars_Attacks
I've never had a problem with Harbor Freight tools.

I am a very heavy user of my tools.

Heck, I have a loaded toolbox in every car. Enough to dang well do anything needed on the side of the road with exception of removing suspension parts.

My jacks, tool boxes, lift, press, air compressor, hoses, air tools, dollies and of course hand tools.

When I need a tool I think I will use once while working on something, it's where I go. No use in paying MAC Tool prices for something that will do just fine for pennies on the dollar.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
June 14, 2021, 01:53 PM
bubbatime
Harbor Freight has SOME very good tools. They should be... often times the tools are exact clones of Snap On and Ingersol Rand top of the line tools, etc.

SO you can buy the $800 Snap On 3 ton jack, or you can buy the exact copy Daytona Jack from Harbor Freight for $220. Made in the exact same factory too... the Snap On gets a Snap On sticker on it, the Harbor Freight one gets a Daytona sticker on it... same exact jack.

Or the Earthquake impact wrench, a direct clone of the $400 Ingersoll rand, sold for $100 at Harbor Freight and used for years and years in tire stores without any issues whatsoever.

The "Harbor Freight sucks" guys haven't actually used some of the better Harbor Freight tools in the last decade. They used to import straight Chinese garbage, drive the crap to a parking lot in a semi truck, and have a parking lot sale. Now .... they manufacture their own line of very, very good tools that are on par with Snap On and Mac on occasion, and sometimes, the tools are even made in the same factory...

Mac and Snap On make a lot of their stuff in Taiwan now... in the same exact places that Craftsman, Kobalt, and other big box stores source their tools.