SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Deer. Ditch Rats. Stinkin' Vermin
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer. Ditch Rats. Stinkin' Vermin Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
They're cute. They're good eating. And I'd cheerfully shoot every damn one of them on sight and let the coyotes have them.

They've eaten my Hosta. They've eaten my Tulips. They've eaten my Nasturtiums. They've eaten my Solomon's Seal. They've eaten all the buds off my Phlox. They've eaten all the buds off my Daisies. They've eaten my tomatoes. They've eaten my FREAKIN' POTATO VINES!!!

I've tried motion-detecting lights. I've tried every kind of stinky repellent I can find. A couple worked for a few days, and then it was right back to Cervus Elaphus All You Can Eat Smorgasbord. Physical barriers (netting or fencing) work but are a pain in the ass to work with, pain in the ass to weed around and spoil the view of the flowers. Plus, if the menu is tempting enough, they will tear up the netting.

What REALLY pisses me off is that I have neighbors that literally live right in the middle of the woods and grow beautiful flowers. I live in a small village with traffic 30 feet from the house, houses on both sides of me, dogs, lights and noise and the bastards will stand there and watch me walk by within 20 feet.

I can't find any references to a "nuisance deer permit" in the Maine regs so that doesn't appear to be an option. I'm not sneaky, lucky or lawless enough to dump them on the sly.

The only thing I can think of to do is shoot NEAR them whenever I see one. That seems to have discouraged the bobcat that was dining on my chickens, maybe it'll convince them they're not welcome here.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15539 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Would something like an airsoft rifle or paintball gun be against local regs?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17644 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Motion activated sprinklers?

Posts: 9310 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
In many areas one needs a good fence. If you shoot a few, replacements will arrive at 2:00 A.M. anyways.

Posts: 6435 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine had similar problems with deer, rabbits, etc., getting into his garden. Somebody recommended using bloodmeal in the soil and he hasn't had any missing produce or destroyed plants since.

Posts: 5036 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were overrun with them when we lived North of San Antonio.

Made worse by people feeding them corn.

I put an 8’ fence around the garden to keep them out.

As far as landscaping, we had to plant deer resistant plants and they would even eat them when it was hot and dry.

Ended up using a buried-wire fence and collars on our dogs around our .75 acre lot. During the rut, some of the bigger bucks would go after our beagle and Manchester terrier.

Posts: 1144 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Ordered a 10 pack of LTL rubber 12ga rounds. We'll see how that works.

Posts: 15539 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Try having a neighbor who thinks they are cute and feeds them in his yard. By hand on many occasions.

Yeah, they are eating stuff in our new landscaping that is supposedly deer resistant and covered in Deer-Away.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12741 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I was late getting the fence up around my garden one spring. Freeloading sons of bitches ate everything to the ground. Fence just stays up year round now.

Posts: 13847 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:

Ended up using a buried-wire fence and collars on our dogs around our .75 acre lot. During the rut, some of the bigger bucks would go after our beagle and Manchester terrier.

Before my wife developed allergies and we had to give up our dog, we never had so much as a stray cat inside the fence without the dog chasing it off. Since then I can't seem to have anything nice...

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It appears no permit is needed:

CHAPTER 921
WILDLIFE CAUSING DAMAGE OR NUISANCE
§12401. Attacking domestic animals or destroying property
Except as provided in sections 12402 and 12404, a person may lawfully kill, or cause to be killed, any wild animal or wild turkey, night or day, found in the act of attacking, worrying or wounding that person's domestic animals or domestic birds or destroying that person's property. A person who kills a wild animal or wild turkey by authority of this section shall report the incident to the Maine Warden Service as provided in section 12402, subsections 3 and 4. [PL 2003, c. 414, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); PL 2003, c. 614, §9 (AFF).]
SECTION HISTORY
PL 2003, c. 414, §A2 (NEW). PL 2003, c. 414, §D7 (AFF). PL 2003, c. 614, §9 (AFF).

Posts: 11711 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
@trapper189 - Thanks for that. I'll try non-lethal methods first, but I'll print that out for my records.

posted Hide Post
12 months after his brand new custom "dream house was finished,
Turk spent $1,200.00 on foliage for his 7 acre yard.

Within three weeks 94% of it was deer poop.

It was the only thing he failed at.

In retrospect.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55234 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

I've heard that if you use one on the lead doe it'll deter them for quite a while.

A friend has a large garden and for years has kept deer out with a single strand of electric fence about 12" off the ground. Said once they touch it with their nose they never return.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7297 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I detest them too. Yeah dummies, fatten them up by feeding them. Now they'll be 2x their normal weight and go through your windshield and kill the driver when struck. Let nature take it's course and they can either starve, or be eaten by something else. Why people think they're cute is beyond me. Let nature take it's course please.

Posts: 666 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Careful with those, as they'll likely go right through a deer.

I used to have rubber "dummy heads" for arrows (roughly 3/4 - 1" in diameter) that I'd shoot at them from time to time. At 40 plus yards they'd bounce off them, but anything under that they were fatal. My bow shoots roughly 340ft/sec. Shotgun loads go a lot faster than that.

The only thing I've found that works reliably is killing or fencing. That's it. Other methods may shoo them off temporarily, but they will be back.

Posts: 20665 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My mom and dad had that problem in San Antonio. Even deer resistant plants were not immune. The neighborhood started treating them with some sort of deer contraception.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53254 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Went down to shut the chickens up last evening and a doe was standing between the barn and the shop. I yelled at her and she scooted. Or so I thought...

Got curious and walked around the back of the barn and she was standing there looking at me. Her tail wasn't even up. I sort of "herded" her toward the line fence and when I got close enough (<25 feet) she finally jumped the fence into the brush.

No fear of humans at all. Some effin' idiot is feeding her. I shall try various means of reintroducing nature's fear of humans into her.

Sigs are
my Panacea...
Picture of billpocz
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Please don't think I am crazy, but we too had problems with deer.

We planted a bunch of fruit trees this last spring and I was worried about them getting eaten...

My wife says, "We need to get some human hair, put it in netting bags on the trees, and it will prevent deer from eating them".

I stared at her with 'the look'... I told her that if she wanted to do that, I wouldn't tell the neighbors that she is crazy.

Well, she did it (went to local hair cutter and got a bag full), and voila, no deer has touched a single tree. Each tree has an old onion bag with some hair in it.

Good luck!!

--- Sig 365, 365XL, 245, P6

Posts: 2011 | Location: Rural Northeastern KY | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
It is not uncommon to have 5-6 deer in the back yard in the evening (last week it was 2-10 point and 1 eight in velvet). To keep them out of my wife’s pansie bed, I put 1” square chunks of Irish Spring soap in the beds. Before that the deer had eaten them, after not a problem. Good luck.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post