SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Storm Damage...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storm Damage... Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
Had a pretty good storm come through Friday night and didn't really think much of it. Then Saturday afternoon I happened to look out the back window towards our storage shed, and all I could see was a huge tree! The sucker was blown down and landed squarely on the top of storage shed, crushing it and "blowing out" one of the side walls. My nearly new John Deere lawn tractor was parked beside it, and I'm not sure yet if it was damaged or not; hope to find that out tomorrow.

We are waiting on homeowner's insurance to tell us how to proceed. I suppose I should be happy that it didn't fall on the house... which I am, but dang, I'm just not in a position to deal with this right now as I just had major surgery a few weeks ago and am still recovering. Frown

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
That totally sucks! Did you get photos? I'm assuming you did for insurance purposes. I hope the tractor is OK, and I'm glad it wasn't the house.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
This is always in the back of my mind. Vehicles, mower, etc are all in an area with trees around it. Hope the equipment escapes damage.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Finally got to go work on getting the lawn tractor out a while ago. Despite a rather large, heavy limb laying on top of it and wedged between the steering wheel and dash panel, I was able to get it started and back it out while holding the limb up enough to clear. Had some minor scratches on the plastic engine cover and a whole lot of smaller twigs and branches all over the mower, but no damage at all.

Unfortunately the entire front of the shed is warped and crushed so the only way inside to get to gas cans, chainsaws, etc. is through the left front corner where the building split open. With a large, heavy tree laying on top, I made a very quick reach inside for the gas for the tractor, and the rest of it will have to wait until tree service folks can remove the thing! The tree was right beside the neighbor's privacy fence and somehow that was unscathed also, so at least we don't have to buy them a new fence!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
That totally sucks! Did you get photos? I'm assuming you did for insurance purposes. <<snip>>

Oh yes, plenty of pics have been taken...

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Too bad your lawn tractor was smashed into a small ball of aluminum foil... Wink

(jk)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear you got hit. Thankfully we dodged it.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Too bad your lawn tractor was smashed into a small ball of aluminum foil... Wink

(jk)

LOL... too funny!

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low8option:

I thought it was worse down your way! I guess that's what I get for thinking... Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
The tree was right beside the neighbor's privacy fence and somehow that was unscathed also, so at least we don't have to buy them a new fence!

^^^^^^^^^^^^
You would not have to buy them a fence anyway. One major hurricane took out my neighbors WOOD fence which took out my chain link fence. Another storm toppled a tree onto my new wooden fence. I had to pay for both repairs. The ONLY exception is when your neighbor has a rotten tree that falls on your property and you have asked him to remove it. {Preferably in writing}.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:

I thought it was worse down your way! I guess that's what I get for thinking... Big Grin

Main storm damage stayed South of us. We're pretty lucky here as storms tend to veer either North or South of us.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Thanks to the April 10/11 storm we are getting a new roof and a new 10x10 metal roof Gazebo.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You mention insurance, storm damage, and recovering from major surgery. Take care of yourself first, hire someone to do the work, and submit the bill to the insurance company. I understand wanting to get out there and get it cleaned up, but please don’t mess up your recovery.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:

Glad it was not more serious than that. As long as you are OK, nothing else matters. Is your better half fully recovered now? All the best

Posts: 5 | Registered: April 16, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
You mention insurance, storm damage, and recovering from major surgery. Take care of yourself first, hire someone to do the work, and submit the bill to the insurance company. I understand wanting to get out there and get it cleaned up, but please don’t mess up your recovery.

The insurance adjuster has already been out and is filing our claim. A good friend from church who does lots of tree work is getting together with another guy who does disaster relief, and they are going to take care of removing the tree for me; no way I can do it myself, especially while still healing!