SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Tried To Donate Blood Today. NEVER AGAIN!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Tried To Donate Blood Today. NEVER AGAIN! Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
I went to donate back in college. When doing the questionnaire, I realized that I was not qualified. I told the lady that was drawing blood and she said “That’s okay, you can still donate we will just discard it”.
After I realized she wasn’t kidding I just walked away.

I have a brother in law who has a doctors prescription for the blood bank to withdraw blood frequently due to a medical issue. They can't dispense it so they just discard it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting business model, I'm surprised the government lets them get away with it. By get away with it, I mean generally the government doesn't like competition when it comes to one sided unethical money makers. That's their gig.

Are you suggesting a blood tax? Big Grin

As soon as that blood arrives in the hospitals inventory the government gets its cut.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Down here, Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center switched to using students to draw the blood and nearly every time turn your veins into pin cushions. Also, when there is a problem the student calls over the supervisor and they talk to each other as if you're deaf (e.g. "it doesn't even bother me any more when I ruin a vein and the person isn't eligible to donate for 24 hours"). Everybody I know (including people like myself who have donated gallons) has quit donating.

If it's as important as they say it is then they can switch to:
  • professionals drawing the blood.
  • pay me for my time and my blood. They make a mountains of money off it and have driven costs down to the point they've turned supporters into opponents.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    Good one, V-tail.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Staring back
    from the abyss
    Picture of Gustofer
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Down here, Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center switched to using students to draw the blood...

• How do you suppose those professionals got to be professionals? Wink

I've never really understood the needle phobia thing. Doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, having good veins, I used to let nursing students and paramedic students practice on me all the time. Just a year or so ago I was teaching a nurse friend of mine how to start IVs using an ultrasound and let her practice on my arm. No big deal for me.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gustofer:
    quote:
    Down here, Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center switched to using students to draw the blood...

Practice on other students, nurses, doctors, relatives, friends, roomies, etc.
    quote:
    I've never really understood the needle phobia thing. Doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, having good veins, I used to let nursing students and paramedic students practice on me all the time. Just a year or so ago I was teaching a nurse friend of mine how to start IVs using an ultrasound and let her practice on my arm. No big deal for me.
    I do not have a needle phobia as I like to watch it go in and the blood fill the previously empty tube. Instead, I do not suffer fools very well and I don't like my time wasted. GCRBC is doing a private blood drive at my employer's office (a large, multinational corporation) so all of their victims are busy people (most of whom manage contractors/vendors and fire vendors/contractors who cannot perform). Their don't give a shit attitude and lack of skill is marginalizing people who had previously given gallons of blood at these same blood drives. They used to use actual techs and nurses.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Don't Panic
    Picture of joel9507
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jhe888:
    Good one, V-tail.

Roger that. Smile

Interesting that a joke like that sparked so much serious discussion.

Posts: 15026 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A Grateful American
    Picture of sigmonkey
    posted Hide Post
    People that donated blood, saved my life when my body decided to murder my platelets. I had several infusions of platelets and IVIG (Intravenous immune globulin) over several months.

That was a lot of donuts and orange juice.

I am grateful for that, but I am not permitted to donate blood, but I encourage and thank all who do.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by joel9507:
    quote:
    Originally posted by jhe888:
    Good one, V-tail.

Roger that. Smile

I agree that it was a good joke. I should've said so prior to entering into the tangential serious discussion.

Mistake Not...
    Picture of Loswsmith
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by V-Tail:
    Too many stupid questions.

Whose blood is it? Where did you get it? Why is it in a bucket?

Just wait when you try to do a withdrawal! Who are you? Why do you only come at immediately before closing time? Why don't you have a reflection? It's bitch, bitch, bitch!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1953 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    drop and give me
    20 pushups
    posted Hide Post
    Over the years have donated (?) gallons some were for specific people and some just general donations to the blood bank..... if donating thru a couple of sites that would constantly call on the phone or send letters about comming in to where it got to the point that would use the excuse of just getting a fresh tatto (body ink) and they finnaly got the hint and they stopped calling.......... Just this past June after donating for a friend was notified by the hospital that it was unable to use the donation due to something found in the blood and that after I had two seperate test done to confirm that what they were claiming was false the blood bank was informed ""to go pound sand""...... Never again .......................................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2005 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by joel9507:

Joke? You think that's funny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWINtUCshxY

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Staring back
    from the abyss
    Picture of Gustofer
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

Practice on other students, nurses, doctors, relatives, friends, roomies, etc.

Point is, nobody gets good overnight. Those "actual techs and nurses" you refer to below were students at one time too. If you use them every time, how do you figure the younger ones are going to learn? If it bothers you that much, don't donate, or ask that you not have a student.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sigmund:
    I used to donate every 57 days, I'm over 12 gallons now. When they stop requiring a mask at the blood center I'll go back.

Thank you. It means a lot to many of us.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    If it bothers you that much, don't donate, or ask that you not have a student.
    Thanks captain obvious. As I’ve written in every post you’ve replied to, I have quit and all of the other multiple gallon donors I know have quit as well.

Picture of Poacher
    posted Hide Post
    Been donating for 30 years. Been used as a pin cushion, had a needle stuck through the the back of a vein during a power red, had walk ins go ahead of my appointment, etc. It's either important, or it's not. To me it is and I've never needed blood nor has anytone I've known.

It's a small sacrifice.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Last time I tried to give blood at work, I went to the van/trailer thing they set up in the parking lot, answered a shit ton of questions. And at the end of the questions they told me I can't give blood because I had been to India in the past 5 years or some such time period.

That's the last time I bothered. If they want my blood they can tell me the disqualifying countries first, not after all the other questions.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Blume9mm
    posted Hide Post
    Gave for years specifically to premi babies because I did not carry some virus ... then it seems they figured out how to clean regular blood for this virus and stopped calling me.... I did give plasma for a while... that's when they suck it out and then pump it back in clear and cold... pretty weird. Now I'm on way too much medicine ....

My Native American Name:
    "Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not as lean, not as mean,
    Still a Marine
    Picture of Gibb
    posted Hide Post
    I enjoyed the joke V-Tail, thanks for the laugh.

I used to donate Platelets through apheresis, which is where they separate the platelets and return the red blood and plasma back to you.
    You can donate one a week, up to 24 x a year. I would go every 2 weeks and maxed out 2 years in a row.

Then I got sick... just a lingering flu, but I had to cancel my standing appointment... the one I had steady for 2 years. They continuously called and emailed me to set up my appointments, but never once asked how I was doing or feeling. I was in no shape to donate, just trying to get better to get back to work, and didn't need this crap, and told them so.

I was so sick of being just a platelet cow for them, and haven't gone back since. I have 'sold' it through other companies, but at least there there's no pretense in where I stand with them.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No ethanol!
    posted Hide Post
    I have had several issues with Red Cross. Perhaps it's the location here where I am. I've made appts 5 times, and 3 of those times they have cancelled or had issues. The 4th of 5 they turned me away because of the temps in room, but I was able to return later. No contact to me to tell me until I was on the way. What good is it to email me a cancellation 10 minutes before on a 20 min drive?? I was furious and called to complain and let supervisors know, but they blamed that on another computer issue Roll Eyes

I need another organization if I'm going to donate again. 1 for 5 is not an organization I should continue to give money to either.

------------------
    The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post