SIGforum
Waders, a triple rant

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/8110087194

May 04, 2022, 02:05 PM
Green Highlander
Waders, a triple rant
Looks like I am getting a triple rant.

Rant 1) Was out fishing and found my chest high waders now have a leak from a seam. Nothing like a cold wet left foot to make a day on the river enjoyable. Especially when the waders in questions have not seen a lot of use. I have a pair of waist highs that are my primary go to for most local fishing trips.

Rant 2) LL Bean doesn't stand behind their products anymore. IF I had abused them or worn them out, I would understand. BUT, other than the leak, they are in great condition and have been treated properly. The waders in question have not seen a lot of use. I use them for high water conditions, cold weather or duck hunting. Otherwise I have a pair of waist highs that are my primary go to for most local fishing trips.

Rant 3) Holy crap, good waders have gotten expensive. Chi-Com crap is now $200-300. Quality stuff is running $500-600. Hopefully it will be a buy once, cry once situation.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")
May 04, 2022, 02:26 PM
jhe888
How old are these leaky waders?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
May 04, 2022, 03:11 PM
goose5
I was in a local fly shop last weekend. Holy crap some waders go for 300 dollars. Yikes. Its been my experience it isn't really fishing if your waders don't leak.

May 04, 2022, 09:14 PM
Green Highlander
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
How old are these leaky waders?

The waders are 3 years old but used very infrequently. My usual go to set is waist high and I use those often. There is no reason from usage that these should be leaking.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")
May 04, 2022, 09:32 PM
Green Highlander
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I was in a local fly shop last weekend. Holy crap some waders go for 300 dollars. Yikes. Its been my experience it isn't really fishing if your waders don't leak.

Heck I saw some from Orvis and Simms that are pushing $800. Now way are waders going to be my most expensive piece of clothing.

The sad truth is those $300 waders just aren’t very good. Based on recommendations from a couple friends who are professional guides, I am looking at the Simms G3 waders. It’s going to be way more than I expected to spend but they are made in Montana and have a lifetime warranty.

May 05, 2022, 10:49 AM
jhe888
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:

The waders are 3 years old but used very infrequently. My usual go to set is waist high and I use those often. There is no reason from usage that these should be leaking.

I understand that as to use. But the glues and seals deteriorate over time even without use. Now, three years isn't that old, but . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
May 06, 2022, 10:24 AM
Joe 5632
Yep, 60 years in waders. Fill them with water, wait until the spot leaks, mark the spot with a felt tip. Drain and let completely dry. Get some shoe goo or similar at Walmart etc. Put a layer over the mark and let it dry. Been doing this for years and never had it leak at a repair afterwards. New holes or seam leaks, yes. Just repeat the same process. My last pair were over ten years old when I gave them to my SIL. Moved to south Florida six years ago and gaters and waders don’t go together. Big Grin
May 06, 2022, 08:14 PM
cobre sig
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

Heck I saw some from Orvis and Simms that are pushing $800. Now way are waders going to be my most expensive piece of clothing.

The sad truth is those $300 waders just aren’t very good. Based on recommendations from a couple friends who are professional guides, I am looking at the Simms G3 waders. It’s going to be way more than I expected to spend but they are made in Montana and have a lifetime warranty.

Bought my Orvis waders in 2000 and still going strong. As a matter of fact so is the fly rod I bought at the same time. Orvis made some great stuff.
May 06, 2022, 10:25 PM
Appliance Brad
My Gander Mountain waders have served me well for cold weather steelhead fishing. That 30 degree water only burns until your foot goes numb Big Grin

You can probably find the leak. Good luck

May 07, 2022, 01:23 AM
Bisleyblackhawk
ShooGoo (smells like model airplane glue from when I was a young’un) from Walyworld’s footwear dept…works wonders to stop leaks on my old waders when trout fishing the Hiwassee here in East Tennessee…don’t be frugal with it and let it cure fully…especially on the seams…also works fantastically on tents…just follow directions and cover the leak fully… cure…repeat if necessary. Life/fun trip saving goop! I don’t leave home for an adventure without a tube of it…saved me from disappointment numerous times Wink Big Grin Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
May 07, 2022, 07:07 AM
Bassamatic
I have both hip boots and waders. I learned long ago that you get what you pay for with those things.

I remember way back in 1990 when I lived in Washington state and me and a buddy would duck hunt the Potholes reservoir. The very first morning my hip boots leaked. Went in to a small sporting goods store in Othello and the only hip boots he had in my size were (of course) the most expensive ones. They were made by LaCrosse and were over $200 bucks. I bought them. Thirty years later I still have them and just used them last winter to help a friend get a boat on a trailer at a loading ramp here at the lake. They still fit well and zero leaks. Not bad for 30 year old hip boots.

You probably already know this but I will say it anyways. Never fold them and always store them hung up by the feet in a temp controlled place.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
May 07, 2022, 10:36 AM
goose5
The only kind I've ever used are the one's without the boot. You get an old set of tennis shoes and put them on. Get a belt tight around your waste so they don't fill up if you fall in.