SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Auto repair pricing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto repair pricing Login/Join 
posted
I know you are paying for the mechanic's knowledge but some of the prices are insane. For example, I need to replace a front end wheel bearing on my vehicle, (I hurt my shoulder a couple weeks ago and figured I could just get it done),so I called a few repair shops to get some quotes. The cheapest one I got was $450.00 for ONE wheel bearing. The bearing itself costs $116.00 so the rest is labor. All you have to do remove the tire,caliper,bracket and the bearing. It is a rear wheel drive vehicle so there is no axle to remove it off of. For that price I will deal with the pain. I feel bad for those that can't do it themselves.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
$450.00 for ONE wheel bearing...

Yikes! At that rate, you should be able to take the old one to the pawn shop for a quick buck!

I bought an old truck a few months ago. It ran great, but everything else was wrong with it. Took me a few months to get it the way I wanted it, but I could have easily paid twice as much for the same model.
Had to fix the water pump, alternator, radiator, sunroof, subwoofer amp, subwoofer, door seals, exhaust, navigation radio, intake, axle, fuse box, battery tray, etc...

These can be fixed in your spare time and a little effort. The only time they got expensive were mostly self induced. Now I am taking out the satellite radio and replacing it with a CD changer.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
How long does it take to change a bearing?
Doesn't seem all that out of line, IMO.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything costs more than it used to.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Changing out the bearing only takes about an hour, if that. I don't know where they get there pricing. I understand they have to make money but they are screwing people hard. I wish I was 25 years younger, I would open a shop.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been an HVAC mechanic for nigh on 37 years now but don't work on my vehicles, so take them to a repair shop.

We've been fortunate to have a very good friend who owns a two-bay garage with his brother, 90% of our work is done by them, not always cheap but peace of mind that its done well.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1934 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Changing out the bearing only takes about an hour, if that. I don't know where they get there pricing. I understand they have to make money but they are screwing people hard. I wish I was 25 years younger, I would open a shop.

How do you figure 1 hour? By the time you put the car on the lift, then take the wheel off, then you have to take the caliper off, then you need to take the dust cover off, then you need to remove the cotter pin, and nut. Then remove the rotor, clean all of the old grease off of the spindle and rotor, smooth out the spindle with emory cloth, drive the old bearing races out (you DO do THIS, don't you?), then drive the new bearing races in, and re-install everything. It's at least a 2 hour job, and usually 3 hours. With labor rates in FL at about $100 an hour (non-dealer) the estimate sounds right on the money.

Every independent shop I know of, looks in the same book and quotes the job based on book time for the vehicle. So if the book says 3 hours, that's what they quote and bill.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My vehicle does not have a spindle to worry about, ( I could understand if the vehicle was 4 wheel drive with the axle shaft assembly/spindle but mine does not have one to even deal with). It is a rear wheel drive and not 4x4/all wheel drive. The wheel bearing is just held on by 3 bolts. I replaced the brakes and driver side rotor myself in about 40-50 minutes with a hydraulic jack. The longest amount of time I spent was bringing everything out to the driveway,piece by piece. I guess rates have gone up quite a bit since I ever needed someone to do work for me.

H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:

And you would probably go broke.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
When I got out of the service I worked as a line mechanic for about 7-8 years. I still have friends that work at dealerships.
That $100/hr. rate is split between the mechanic and the dealership. If the mechanic is getting $25.00 an hour, he's lucky. Sounds like he's doing well? Maybe. Remember he has to buy his own tools and toolbox. Usually off a SnapOn or Mac tool truck. Horror Fraught doesn't hold up for everyday all day use.

You have an older vehicle, go to an independent shop. Less than 2-3 years old, dealership is a more expensive but better choice. Technology is the difference.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that a $116 bearing would be a sealed unit.

5 nuts for the wheel. Two screws for the caliper. Two screws for the bracket. 3 or 4 bolts for the hub assembly. Rinse and repeat. You may need new TTY fasteners for the caliper bracket, but $450 does seem a bit much (for me anyway).

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand everyone has to eat but some prices are insane. I don't mind paying a fair/higher price for some things if I can't do it but for simple jobs, to me, the book times makes me a little skeptical. When I lived about 100 miles South of where I am now, there was a small shop that was honest,priced right and was constantly busy. The owner had about three guys that worked for him and all of them gave you the truth about your repairs. They would even tell you if it was even necessary to replace or even fix. It was a breath of fresh air. I wish he was closer. Oh well, thanks for listening to me rant.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
What type of car? Is the bearing pressed into the hub? If the gun has to be removed & the bearing pressed out, I could understand a higher quote.

I remember doing a rear bearing on a Honda & it was a super easy R&R, but a front required a press.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a 2010 Dodge Nitro. No axle/spindle in the hub to be pressed out. I understand some cars and 4x4 vehicles do, but mine does not. .38supersig stated exactly what it takes to do it. I am told by many owners to expect the bearing to go around 50-60k but mine went to 70K before I had a problem. I guess I was fortunate in that sense.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand everyone has to eat but some prices are insane. I don't mind paying a fair/higher price for some things if I can't do it but for simple jobs, to me, the book times makes me a little skeptical.

The shop has to split that money with the mechanic. Shop has to pay for utilities, insurance, rent, equipment maintenance, etc. Mechanic has to buy his own tools, I believe most starting out will spend $10k+ which is why the Snap On trucks offer credit.

Simple does not mean quick or easy, though. I think a lot of people can't do this because they may not have the knowledge, desire, time, facility, tools, etc. so they have to pay someone who has those.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[ I feel bad for those that can't do it themselves.[/QUOTE]

I remember needing to replace a battery on a Plymouth Duster many years ago. Took me maybe 10 minutes to do it. It was easily accessible. Now you have to remove half the engine block to change a battery. There are too many routine items that are just too difficult for an average guy to handle.

Posts: 1049 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're not counting the time to put the car on the lift, get out all of the different tools you need, put the car in the air, clean up and then put all of the tools away either. Also, if I'm doing a job like this on a car, but haven't done any mechanical work all week, I could probably busy ass and knock it out in an hour IF everything goes right. But, a mechanic who is turning wrenches all day, every day for 40-50 hours a week can't work at that same pace and keep up. Also we all know, nothing with jobs like this ever goes exactly as planned.

Your $116 cost for the bearing, is that an OEM part from a dealer? If not, price the part from the dealer and see what the same bearing costs. When I was in the automotive business, I almost never sourced non OEM parts, unless there was a good reason (out of stock, or the OEM part was not good *very rare*). The Mopar brand 52109947AF wheel bearing hub assembly listed for a 2010 dodge Nitro is $184.99 on Rock Auto and the shop is NOT going to order it and wait for it they're going to get it from the local dealer and have it delivered that day, so I'm guessing dealer list price would be low $200's, then the $450 repair price makes a whole lot of sense for 2 hours and the OEM part and is very fair if they're using OEM parts IMO. And, yes it goes on a splined shaft that should be cleaned and greased. I would replace both at the same time.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/ca...+&+hub+assembly,1636

If the part is so easy to change, why don't you change it yourself, or hire some neighborhood high school kid and stand there and finger point?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand everyone has to eat but some prices are insane. I don't mind paying a fair/higher price for some things if I can't do it but for simple jobs, to me, the book times makes me a little skeptical. When I lived about 100 miles South of where I am now, there was a small shop that was honest,priced right and was constantly busy. The owner had about three guys that worked for him and all of them gave you the truth about your repairs. They would even tell you if it was even necessary to replace or even fix. It was a breath of fresh air. I wish he was closer. Oh well, thanks for listening to me rant.

Well you should probably do both then, not just one side.

The bearing cost $116 at all places checked, or is that what you see from Autozone website as the price? The one you get from the mechanic will be more expensive obviously, both from mark up and hopefully because he's using either OEM or he knows which of the non-OEMs are good and buying the best non-OEM.

Seems right for 2 hours of labor and reasonable markup.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

It would take more than one hour for sure.
This is not even close to screwing someone.
Since it takes two to tango both the seller and the buyer have a choice.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Price is high for a Nitro as long as the vehicle hasn’t been in the rust belt and the hub is corroded/seized on. Friend of mine paid 275 for a front wheel bearing replacement on a Ford Escape that had to be pressed on/off just last year. Rear hub on a Nitro is just three bolts.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post