SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    UPDATE #1 in the first post - People driving without insurance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE #1 in the first post - People driving without insurance Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
Update No. 1:

I got the estimate today and it wasn’t that bad. Total damage is just under $2,000 to fix the bumper and a get a new rim. Interestingly, the right rear wheel broke; it cracked right in two and the tire went flat right after the collision. UHP actually changed the tire for my daughter because it was a busy construction zone and they didn’t want her to do it. Thank you gentlemen!!!

Anyway, My insurance company is claiming that my daughter must have hit something pulling off the freeway. As mentioned, it was a construction zone so there was no shoulder so they she had to pull off the road. My position is that even if correct, it was all one continuous event - but for the accident she wouldn’t have had to pull off the freeway. Unfortunately, my carrier disagrees and wants a second deductible for the rim.

So, I called the city prosecutor today and asked them to send me a restitution claim form. I’m going to submit my deductible for the bumper and the costs for a new rim to the court. My state is pretty good with restitution as it comes before fines and fees and if a defendant doesn’t pay, it gets sent to the state’s collection agency and it never goes away. I may only get $20 a year but I’ll get $20 dollars a year until paid in full.

Original post:

So my daughter got rear-ended earlier this week on the interstate by a woman driving a “new” car without insurance. As my daughter is going to school two hours away, the hassle of getting the car fixed, dealing with insurance, etc. is going to be joyous. At least she appears to be OK, nothing more than bumps and bruising.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BB61,

Posts: 12429 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of those cost us several thousand dollars. No insurance, no license, no English, no current plates.

Then they tried to switch drivers and leave the scene.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Worked once, probably will work again in the future.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
And the only reason to get Uninsured Motorist coverage with your auto insurance.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
How new is "new"?

I couldn't even get to the finance department without my insurance person sending proof of insurance with the new vehicle VIN on it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Typical accident where I live. No insurance,driving a truck with bogus plates. The last one cost me a hundred bucks with uninsured motorist. I made sure I called the cops so he got a ticket. My insurance of course was unable to collect the 100 dollar deductible.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ A bozo hit me about 5 years ago. No insurance, expired tag, etc.

I had to pay my $1,000 deductible to get my car fixed.

My insurance company went after him for that $1,000. They tried for 12 months and finally said it was unrecoverable. My loss.

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
At fault accident with no insurance?

Driver license should be revoked and vehicle impounded until the injured party is made whole.

No exceptions.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30531 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
There are absolutely no repercussions for having an uninsured at fault accident. Even if someone is killed. They get a free lawyer that will plea it down with no time served.

The victim always gets fucked twice.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34072 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

The victim always gets fucked twice.

Its how our government solved the problem.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Some minor justice. My daughter told me they impounded and towed the other car because it didn't have insurance.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
What state?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30531 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Some minor justice. My daughter told me they impounded and towed the other car because it didn't have insurance.

The system kinda worked on that front at least. Here is bizzaro world the police might not even show without injuries and would probably let the uninsured driver drive away as some misguided attempt at social justice as dictated from above.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread, the scofflaw’s win & the poor sap that goes through life within the rules is stuck. It’s infuriating!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Driving without insurance is one of my biggest pet peeves, especially since it wouldn't be that difficult to fix it.

I have a buddy who's a cop and in his precinct he claims 40% of the people he pulls over do not have insurance. And yes people with brand new cars do it as well.

Posts: 3871 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I got a speeding and no insurance ticket once. I was insured at the time, just hadn't put the most current card in my car, no problem to fax in proof and get the charge dismissed without going to court. However, I've only been pulled over three times in AZ in 13 years. The $1000 fine for not having insurance sure would have been a lot cheaper than what I've paid for insurance for 13 years. Until they make it a worse deal to drive without than with, judgment-proof losers will continue to skip on insurance.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
What state?

^^^^
Utah, I-15 in Clearfield. The car that hit her had a temporary tag. IIRC, it was 2007 or 2010 model year. I'm glad it was only an Accord and not an F-350 or something similar.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
People caught driving without insurance should have both knee caps broken on site as a daily reminder of their failure in society.

Posts: 13039 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
People caught driving without insurance should have both knee caps broken on site as a daily reminder of their failure in society.

Too much trouble. Just have all cruisers equipped with a small anvil and hammer. Smash one of their balls. Sure he's going to cry about how unfair it was, but he could have had insurance. His fault. Then the 2nd cycle, he's got none left to crush. So hit him about half way down the "shaft". If he's lucky, he can still pee out of it.

Our society has become too liberal. No punishment for wrongs. Or, "that's inhuman".

Unhappy ammo seeker

St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Read an article in the Detroit News about 2 weeks ago that 65% of its residents do not have any form of auto insurance.

Posts: 5297 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post