SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Disposing of Rats, More Work Than Estimated
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disposing of Rats, More Work Than Estimated Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted
Rats have encroached on the backyard. The next door neighbors were putting out birdseed, and I think that initially attracted the rats. Now the heat is driving the rats to seek water. So I am ruminating about the plumeria and lemon trees on the porch.

I decided that a good trap for the rats is the bucket of water, plank, and sunflower seed combination. One rat drowned last week. Due to the heat I disposed of the body on a country road.

Last night two or more rats took the leap. The dang rats did not drown before the garbage truck arrived for pickup. During the day one rat has drowned. The other rat may be long enough to avoid drowning. So a dead rat and a live rat in this heat in a bucket is most undesirable. Yuck. Nor do I want to be a dead rat hearse driver. And the nasty water and seeds must go. The next garbage pickup is a week away. Too long.

I am considering the means of swift disposal of trapped rats in the future. No guns, nor air guns, to be used. Catch the rats the night before the garbage pickup.

One, drilling small holes in a second five gallon bucket. Put a weight in the sieve bucket and make 'french press' rat drowner. I am bit squeamish about this but the rats must die.

Two, buy a block of dry ice and asphixiate or freeze the rats in situ.

If these are successful methods of quick killing then I can chuck the bodies in the garbage the morning of the pickup.

Any other suggestions?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put them in a Large Zip Lock Bag once they are deceased. SHould contain the smell. YOu can double bag to be sure.
Ice pick works as well to end their life.

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use the ziplock bag technique for when we eat shrimp and garbage day is a week away. Works great for containing smells.

Posts: 184 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I got an electric trap that fibrillates them.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34068 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We took down our bird feeder in MD because of rats. The larger birds (Blue Jays, Grackles) would make an unholy mess, tossing seed all over the ground, which of course brought the rats.

AZ birds are pretty much self-reliant, or they die. It is interesting to watch the Quail feed, finding seemingly invisible bits along the sandy desert floor, but they are at it every day, all day, and always look well fed.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10777 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Trap the live rats, put all of them live in a 5 gallon bucket, deliver them to your neighbor, tell him if he's going to feed them he damn sure needs to put out water for them....

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Put Uncle Ben’s Instant Ric\e in a shallow pie tin.

About two or three feet away, put a small dish of of water.

The rats will eat (read: gorge themselves) the rice and when they get thirsty, they will drink the water. The rice will then expand and kill the rat else where.

End results, rats are dead and provide some extra carbs for the owls and other type scavengers.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
If you have live rats in a 5 gallon bucket, pour a cup of bleach and a cup of ammonia in the bucket. Put something (lid) over the top.
It’ll create chloramine gas. It’s heavier than air, so it’ll go to the bottom of the bucket. Come back half an hour later. They’ll be dead.

Get a lid that snaps on the bucket. Fashion a hose nozzle on one side of the lid, and a hole with a screen attached to the other side. Snap lid on bucket. Turn on hose until water overflows and no air is left. They will drown.

Snap a 15 amp breaker into an unused slot on your panel. Put in a plug (not a GFI) with an inline switch. Get an extension cord and separate the hot and common by 6 inches or so. Drop the wire unto the bucket. Flip switch. Breaker will pop, but not before the rodents ride the lightning.

1 and 3 are not the safest ways to solve your issue, but I believe they would be effective.

You could also buy one of these: https://www.automatictrap.com/

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4021 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about tannerite??

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
How about tannerite??

In theory, and to quote SSGT Wilson
"There isn't a problem that can't be fixed with with high explosives."

Again, IN THEORY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPuaSY0cMK8

https://www.washingtonpost.com...plosion-anniversary/

Now you got chunks of rotting meat all over the place.
Not good.

Get a box of the small garbage bags, much cheaper than ziplock bags. Chuck the dead rat in the bag, tie the bag, toss the bag in the garbage can.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I think if you add some dawn liquid dish soap to the water it will break the water tension on their fur coat and reduce their ability to stay afloat while treading water. Faster drowning I would imagine. Deep water + dawn soap + time = drowning. I'm guessing.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8632 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add a thin layer of antifreeze on top of the water. Works well for mice..

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add lots of salt to the water, and liquid soap, like Dawn.

Soap aids in drowning, and salt preserves them to reduce smell. It will increase buoyancy, so soap is pretty much a must.

Alternatively, hook up a car battery and drop leads in bucket, preferably a deep cycle high Amp. No way is great, and shame no airgun for some semblance of humane dispatch.

What about a slingshot/wrist rocket?

Posts: 795 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they are that hard up for food, just go with the old reliable snap trap for rats, baited with peanut butter or a crushed pecan. You solve 2 problems at one time. Don't overthink it.

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Trap the live rats, put all of them live in a 5 gallon bucket, deliver them to your neighbor, tell him if he's going to feed them he damn sure needs to put out water for them....

Probably not a neighborly thing to do.
I hope this in jest.

Posts: 22842 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bustabuddy:
If they are that hard up for food, just go with the old reliable snap trap for rats, baited with peanut butter or a crushed pecan. You solve 2 problems at one time. Don't overthink it.

Be sure to stake or tie the trap to something or a fox may carry it off. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies, the humorous, the serious, and the very serious. Whither kablammo?

Last week I used the five gallon bucket, the sunflower seeds, water and plank. The trap worked too well. FOUR rats walked the plank but only three rats drowned. King Rat was rafting on the serf rats. It seemed to me to be unethical to send a live rat to the dump. And maybe it could escape the truck or can. I put a paving stone on the bucket and went to work.

King Rat swam in dead rat soup for the day. Being disgusted twice over I resolved upon adding dried ice to both suffocate and chill ol' King Rat. Success... but six days too early for the next garbage pickup. Yuck and double yuck! After a beer and after dark the five gallon bucket was placed into a twentyfive gallon garbage bucket. With ALL WINDOWS DOWN a drive into the country chanced upon a final unresting ground of the rodents. The return of this intrepid was uncelebrated by an external cleansing of soap with hot water, and an internal cleansing by whiskey.

Perhaps I was originally being too fastidious or over-thinking the process. I want the rats to be gone quick, sanitary, and with minimal suffering.

Traps are a good solution traditionally and will be considered.

Chlor-amine gas has the edge for being cheap and fast. The dry ice was also quick and had the benefit of diffusing away. Dry ice has the preference.

After ruminating on the above, I like the elements of the bucket, dry ice, and bait. The water should be excluded if possible. Dead rat soup is disgustingly disgusting.

The improved idea for a trap under consideration is a bigger garbage bucket that is pre-loaded with carborn dioxide.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put the process on Youtube with a catchy title

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I got an electric trap that fibrillates them.

are you still shooting the little bastards in the chicken coops?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you bury them? Seems like a few scoops with a post hole digger would be more than sufficient, then dump the whole mess in the hole, let the water seep out, and replace the dirt and sod.

As far as making them expire quickly, your sieve idea makes sense. Or you could just put a lid on the bucket and let them suffocate. A chunk of dry ice would speed that up, just drill a small vent hole in the lid first.

Posts: 986 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post