SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My wife played the her family doesn’t count card…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My wife played the her family doesn’t count card… Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
Hurricane hysteria is in full force at my house.

Last night we were “discussing” “our plan”. Then my wife asks me if I can go over to her sister’s condo and board up the windows. I said no. That’s when she played the her family doesn’t count card.

We’re not talking about just putting up some panels that are ready to go. We’re talking about having to go buy wood, hardware, measuring, cutting, and installing them. About a days worth of work that I don’t have time for in the next three days. Plus, I’m fairly sure condos have rules about random people drilling holes in their walls. Her sister lives in Michigan, is there now, and obviously won’t be contributing to the effort.

It’s also the same sister we let stay rent free in a rental unit we owned for over a year while she went to culinary school and we continued to pay the condo fees and property taxes. Anyone care to guess how much that degree has impacted the sister’s earning potential?

I digress. She really only played it because my plan doesn’t exactly line up with “our plan” and my plan will leave our 12, 14, and 16 year old children traumatized for life and I obviously don’t care about the safety of my family.

All this for a blob off the coast of South America.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can relate. Hurricanes really ramp up the anxiety and hysteria. The media feeds this with their studpidity. I have been dealing with this since the 1970s. The most important decision to make is whether you will stay or go. Kids are traumatized if the parents are hysterical. Otherwise they are fine.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Her sister needs to hire a handyman .

Posts: 4052 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Her sister needs to hire a handyman .
Months or years ago, her sister should have already hired a handyman who had cut, labeled, and had the plywood neatly stored in the garage.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as it’s not right on the beach, the condo should drain fine! Sister has insurance, right?

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
She lives in Michigan and has a condo in Florida. She can hire a local handy man.

I would of said no as well.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Did the sister offer to pay for it, considering this would have been more than putting up prefab material, but actually fabricating as well?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5317 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Your sister’s failure to plan doesn’t constitute an emergency for me”

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Keep tabs on the NHC website. Looks like Ian is going to the armpit of Florida.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Do the saws being sold in the area not fit her hands?

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
She’d have to have a really big saw or really big hands to reach from Michigan to Florida.

The funniest part about my wife playing that particular card is that I’ve done enough work for her sister in the past (because my wife asked me to) that my wife has commented the sister should get her own husband.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Trapper, apologies for the thread drift. When hurricane Charlie took the path Ian is on, it turned east quickly, intensified, and hit your area hard. All that occurred in 2 hours. Be wary and stay safe.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
She’d have to have a really big saw or really big hands to reach from Michigan to Florida.

Oh no. I think he means your wife should be using the saw with her hands. Or that's how I interpreted it.

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Based on the one time my wife put together an IKEA end table, I don’t think anyone wants to be near her using power tools.

quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
Trapper, apologies for the thread drift. When hurricane Charlie took the path Ian is on, it turned east quickly, intensified, and hit your area hard. All that occurred in 2 hours. Be wary and stay safe.

No apology needed. Charley sure took a drift, didn’t it? I spent all my time preparing for the storm surge that I didn’t put up my shutters. Fortunately, I only lost one window in the garage.

I reinforced the trusses, sheathing, have a metal roof now, and shutters up to current code, so I’m not worried about the wind. Storm surge is another story, but we’ll go to my dad’s house which is 10’ and has a second story. I weathered Charley at my dad’s figuring it would fair better. I didn’t have a wife and three kids then. We may go to my dad’s, but my wife is looking for a hotel room in Naples or Marco Island.

2004 was a fun year not only because of Charley, but we were building house on Grand Cayman when Ivan hit as a Cat 5 with a 27’ storm surge. Our house was 25’ above sea level. It faired well, but our next door neighbor’s house wound up in our driveway.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"I should have married your sister, then I could live in a condo "DOWN BY THE OCEAN!!!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking that she could have previously built panels that will fasten to the window openings. Storing them away for such an event.

Buying wood, hardware, measuring, cutting, and installation is a bit much for a 'while you're not busy' request.

There's no minute like the last minute.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
If it's a condo, where would you store the shutters? At your house probably.

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It’s true. Then I’d have to haul them over in my truck and back. With the way she’s been calling my wife with every update, maybe the stress will cause her to sell it.

I have a pole barn up in Michigan. My cousin just bought a couple of four wheelers and wanted to know if I had room to store them for him because his two car garage is full of junk.

It’s an interesting storm. Unlike Charley, it’s supposed to move slowly past us which should stack up a lot of water along the coast. I don’t know what that’ll mean for us at the north end of Charlotte Harbor. House has been there for 48 years and never flooded, but who knows?

The good news is: the wife and I have reconciled our plans and we were able to calmly and rational explain the plan to our kids. They may not be scarred for life after all.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Crazy Ian, who knows where it will go...

Folks here are filling up, Stopped to top off the tank in the GMC and the guy at the next pump was filling up 6 5 gallon containers and putting them into the back of his Tesla for his generator, wanted to ask him why he didn't have solar and battery back up since he had the requisite grey hair pony tail and Birkenstocks to go with the Tesla. Shoulda got a picture.

Have to agree with you, the top priority is for you, your family, house and any family present in the area. If she's in MI then there's no physical threat to life, it's just a condo.

Cantore is in Clearwater, hopefully he'll move up state!

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Cantore is in Clearwater, hopefully he'll move up state!

As long as he doesn’t come down our way. Cool