Enough with the cat pictures

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/7920086772

May 06, 2023, 11:04 AM
ensigmatic
Enough with the cat pictures
A sad day for the ensigmatic household Frown We had to return this guy

to the cat rescue this morning.

I took an instant like to him--which is why, while we didn't really need a fourth cat, we tried to adopt him.

But he turned out to be an alpha male and we already had an alpha male. We were still trying to make it work when he started marking territory. That would have led to at least the other alpha probably doing the same. Not good.

Coupled with the fact that even the most laid-back of our existing cats didn't like him, we finally had to admit to ourselves it just wasn't going to work.

We sure hope he finds a good forever home. He's a really sweet kitty. Super affectionate. Smart as a whip.

We've had challenging adoptions, but, always managed to make it work with time and patience. This was our first failure in twenty-five years.

It was really difficult to say goodbye to him and walk away. Briefly had the impulse to say "No! We have to try again," and take him back home with us. But, I knew in my heart it was just never going to work.

ETA: There's one bright spot to this story:

The orange and white cat at the top is the alpha. The one to the left is the laid-back cat. The one on the right, the tuxedo, is our previous adoptee.

The alpha and the tuxedo had reached a kind of "armed truce" state. The tuxedo wasn't interested in being the alpha male, but, he wasn't going to let the big orange bully push him around, either. Thus the two of them tended to be wary of one another.

Two weeks ago we would never have witnessed the scene above.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
May 06, 2023, 03:35 PM
dsiets
That sucks, ensigmatic.
At least you tried. That little guy deserves a good home that works for him too, where everyone is happy.

I've got a feral that I caught w/ her kittens and after I found the little ones homes, she decided to stay. I've often wondered if she would be happy w/ a friend (because she can be a little "clingy") but, once while she was laying on the deck, another cat came by up onto (her) deck. She woke up and went from 0-60 after that cat and around into the front yard after it.

Yeah, I don't think the choice was yours. Your kitties may have decided it for you.
May 07, 2023, 09:39 AM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
That sucks, ensigmatic.
It does Frown

quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Yeah, I don't think the choice was yours. Your kitties may have decided it for you.
Yup.

Even as of late yesterday my wife was still second-guessing herself. I reminded her of his interaction with the existing cats and she said "Yeah, you're right."

One of the women from the rescue inadvertently called my wife last night. She assured my wife we'd made the right decision. "It's not like this was your first adoption," she said. "You love cats, you know cats, you did all the right things, and you tried. Just like people: Some cats just don't get along with some other cats."

Surprisingly: It was the tuxedo, who'd been a feral, with which there was the least friction. Then again: That cat exudes self-confidence. We should've named him "James Bond"

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
May 09, 2023, 02:35 PM
Sig2340

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018
May 10, 2023, 09:00 PM
elmer
Someone has been reading H.P Lovecraft
May 11, 2023, 03:53 PM
.38supersig
Don't know if I'd want to call that one.

May 11, 2023, 06:35 PM
Sig2340
quote:
Originally posted by elmer:
Someone has been reading H.P Lovecraft

H.P. Lovecat.

Nice is overrated

May 18, 2023, 10:43 AM
Sig2340

Nice is overrated

May 18, 2023, 11:10 AM
Z06

May 19, 2023, 04:24 PM
GWbiker
quote:

The Cat on his back is thinking: "Go ahead, and scratch my belly. I dare you".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".
May 20, 2023, 10:11 AM
Expert308
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

My ex-roommate had a cat that would do that. Thing is, the cat would USUALLY let me scratch her belly (once in a while I'd wind up with her teeth and claws both embedded in my hand, but usually I got away with it), but never the roommate. I think the roommate got a little miffed because of that and because the cat would more often jump up on my lap for a snooze than on hers. Now, the younger of my two dogs didn't like that at all.
May 22, 2023, 08:53 PM
ugeesta
Miss Lexi likes to take a nap after getting her weight taken at the vet.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.
May 22, 2023, 09:13 PM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
He’ll actually stretch out on the floor in front of me asking for a belly rub. I can get away with it (my wife cannot), but, I have to be careful to watch for the warning signs to know when to stop - lol

May 29, 2023, 07:50 AM
Z06

May 29, 2023, 10:05 AM
229DAK
^^^^ True!

May 30, 2023, 05:41 AM
airsoft guy
Bean assisting with the assembly of a shelf.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.
June 01, 2023, 08:18 AM
Ripley

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
June 01, 2023, 10:12 AM
Sig2340

Nice is overrated

June 04, 2023, 02:49 PM
Sig2340

QFT.

Nice is overrated

June 04, 2023, 06:17 PM
Ripley
^^^^ (<<< makes no sense at the top of a new page Frown )

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ripley,

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.