SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Is it really necessary to quote the OP when you are the first reply?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it really necessary to quote the OP when you are the first reply? Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Or, are notifications only generated when a thread has been bumped with an additional posted comment?

This is how it works.

Ok, thanks.

For years now, I've been quoting members in certain situations, such as in the Classifieds, or when I had a question I was hoping they would answer, or even just to thank them for a posted comment, thinking that by quoting them by name, they might receive a notification, if turned on. Guess I'll kiss that misunderstanding goodbye.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There are forums whose software allows you to "tag" a member's username in a post and they'll receive a notification.

But Sigforum doesn't do that.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

There are forums whose software allows you to "tag" a member's username in a post and they'll receive a notification.

But Sigforum doesn't do that.
I thought that this day would never come. Wink Your posts are usually spot on, and accurate, but not this one.

SIGforum does allow the user two choose either (or both) of two types of notification:
  • You can receive notifications of any new posts in specific thread(s), and / or

• You can receive notifications when a specified member posts anything, with a choice of only posts that start a new thread, or all posts, including starting a new thread and replies that are posted in any thread, whether or not the replied-to thread was started by the specified member.
I use both types, depending on what I'm trying to do. Example: If I start a thread in the Classifieds, with WTB or WTS, I will set notifications for any (all) replies that are posted in that thread. Also, there are a few members, personally known to me, for whom I receive notifications for anything that they post, whether it's starting a thread, or posting a reply in any thread.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That's not what he was saying, though. This forum does not allow you to get an alert when someone posts "u/V-Tail" or some other similar activator in any thread in the forum. If I go to a thread you haven't subscribed to, and I'm not on your alert list for when I post, and I post your username, you won't get an alert. I can do exactly that on other forums. That's what he's saying.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17057 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Precisely, P220 Smudge.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The worst type of nested quotes is when two people are arguing, and they keep growing their argument by nesting the whole thing. When there’s multiple people contributing, sometimes the nesting can be useful, but in a two-way dick measuring contest, nothing is lost if the nest gets truncated.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
^^^
I think it really comes down to context. When focusing on a forum member's opinion, an attitude, an idea...say you are in a debate or argument, then absolutely, it's both respectful and helps to avoid confusion by including the member's screen name. %100 agree...

... but, let's say your quoted comment isn't focused on the member, but the concept/ idea they posted and/ or your quoted comment is in regards to an article they posted. I don't think it's necessary to include the member's name in that context. In fact, if my quoted comment is focused on the concept or article, I try to remind myself to remove the name from my quote as a courtesy, so both the quoted member, as well as others in the thread, don't think I'm singling out the member for criticism or being argumentative.

I'm certainly not perfect at it, but I believe context matters.

agree, and not including the members name in the post, JMO, signifies that the quote isn't about the members comments as much as it is about the subject, should tell the OP of the comment that it's not addressing Him/Her/She/He/They/Them.....

Posts: 23242 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

That's not what he was saying, though. This forum does not allow you to get an alert when someone posts "u/V-Tail" or some other similar activator in any thread in the forum. If I go to a thread you haven't subscribed to, and I'm not on your alert list for when I post, and I post your username, you won't get an alert. I can do exactly that on other forums. That's what he's saying.
:embarrassed: I did not read Mr. JSK's post correctly. His record remains unblemished.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Oh, it's plenty blemished. Wink

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I have posted this thread to blemish the reputation of everyone. Because that's what I do.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I've been know to quote all or a large section of the original post because OP can be edited. A couple of times I've been one of the first to reply and then a bit later my response seems very off base - because the OP was subsequently edited.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Top posting get immediately skipped and not read by me. But the royal flush of annoyances is top post plus nested, nothing trumps that.

quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Not really a gripe so much as a minor observed annoyance. I can see quoting a part of the original post if your reply is specific to it. I can see quoting the OP if there’s a lot of replies and subject digressions. But if you are the first reply it’s safe to assume we know what your (sic) replying to.

I completely agree.

+1

...and nesting. Can't stand that shit.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
But, it’s universally accepted in the metric system.

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Top posting get immediately skipped and not read by me. But the royal flush of annoyances is top post plus nested, nothing trumps that.

quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Not really a gripe so much as a minor observed annoyance. I can see quoting a part of the original post if your reply is specific to it. I can see quoting the OP if there’s a lot of replies and subject digressions. But if you are the first reply it’s safe to assume we know what your (sic) replying to.

I completely agree.

+1

...and nesting. Can't stand that shit.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Top posting get immediately skipped and not read by me.
^^^^^ This!

There are members that do that every single time. I have them on ignore, since I'd just ignore them, anyway.

There are rare, very rare, occasions where top-posting is appropriate. 99-44/100% of the time it is not.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Now I know why V-tail never responds to me.....

The Ignore list lives!

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:

Now I know why V-tail never responds to me.....

The Ignore list lives!
Confused

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים