SIGforum
Annoying words that are overused

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/7740041944

November 03, 2018, 10:06 PM
Copefree
Annoying words that are overused
Literally. Usually pronounced as ‘litchrally’.

November 04, 2018, 01:52 AM
Fredward
People who use literally often don't know what it means. for example, "Trump is literally Hitler."
November 04, 2018, 01:42 AM
Nuclear
Fitment. It isn't even a word. Something fits or it doesn't. Used way too much in automobiles and guns.
November 04, 2018, 04:59 AM
m1009
Transparent.
November 04, 2018, 06:18 AM
Georgeair
Right?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

November 04, 2018, 07:05 AM
recoatlift
Basically
November 04, 2018, 07:33 AM
ArtieS
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
Fitment. It isn't even a word. Something fits or it doesn't. Used way too much in automobiles and guns.

Yes, it's a word, but it's always used improperly, particularly on gun boards where people use it as a fancy way of saying "nicely machined" such as, "this 1911 has the tightest slide to frame fitment I've ever seen."

Definition is:

fitment (ˈfɪtmənt)
n
1. (Mechanical Engineering) machinery an accessory attached to an assembly of parts
2. (Furniture) chiefly Brit a detachable part of the furnishings of a room

This is a particular peeve of Para who has ranted about it in the past, even starting a thread to try to encourage proper use and eliminate the habit of misuse on this board.

It does NOT mean "tight", "finely machined", "nicely finished", "smooth action", "beautiful stock", etc.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
November 04, 2018, 07:43 AM
David W
Common sense gun laws and or measures.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles
November 04, 2018, 08:28 AM
Rare

Q

November 04, 2018, 08:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:

Yes, it's a word, but it's always used improperly, particularly on gun boards where people use it as a fancy way of saying "nicely machined" such as, "this 1911 has the tightest slide to frame fitment I've ever seen."

Definition is:

fitment (ˈfɪtmənt)
n
1. (Mechanical Engineering) machinery an accessory attached to an assembly of parts
2. (Furniture) chiefly Brit a detachable part of the furnishings of a room

This is a particular peeve of Para who has ranted about it in the past, even starting a thread to try to encourage proper use and eliminate the habit of misuse on this board.

It does NOT mean "tight", "finely machined", "nicely finished", "smooth action", "beautiful stock", etc.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3960066844/p/2 Smile

Q

November 04, 2018, 08:53 AM
ArtieS
Thanks Q; I missed that one. Apparently it's a pet peeve of a lot of people around here.

(That little fact doesn't seem to limit is use, however...)

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
November 04, 2018, 10:01 AM
2012BOSS302
Diversity

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.
November 04, 2018, 10:28 AM
trapper189
Annoying.
November 04, 2018, 11:11 AM
apprentice
Disrupt.

When used instead of change. Hopefully this goes away after 2018.
November 04, 2018, 03:23 PM
recoatlift
Racist: used so often, it means little to me. So tired of its use.
November 04, 2018, 05:10 PM
DMF
quote:
It is a word, but it is usually used incorrectly.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fitment

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman
November 04, 2018, 05:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
It is a word, but it is usually used incorrectly.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fitment

Not a word, but I find this expression annoying - A day late and a dollar short. Razz

Q

November 04, 2018, 05:38 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Rare

RARE

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
November 04, 2018, 06:20 PM
tk13
Horrific
November 04, 2018, 07:28 PM
GWbiker
Game changer. Every damn TV ad has to use that?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".