SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    A taste of Florida and I hated it
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A taste of Florida and I hated it Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
If you get off the roads Florida will grow on you.

Posts: 7336 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
If you get off the roads Florida will grow on you.

Kinda like mold?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I vacation in Florida every other year for the past 12 year or so. The only thing that has really stood out to me is they run left turn red lights all the time. Left turn traffic light changes to red, where I come from, 1 vehicle might go through. Florida, its more like 3-4 vehicles, sometimes more.

I would also agree that in general, BMW drivers are assholes.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

Yup. Anyone who thinks Florida is wild must not have spent much time in ATL.

Florida is a big state, while Atlanta is a big city. You can’t really compare the two. No where along I-75 in Florida is like driving in Atlanta. However, I’m going to guess you don’t drive I-4 near and in Orlando much. I-4 and Orlando will give Atlanta a run for the money.

Only about once a month or so, oh and the three months I lived in Orlando late last year Wink

Arguing over this is a bit silly as every place has its fair share of shitty drivers and for some reason people either want to act like their city has the best drivers or the fastest drivers or whatever. For what it’s worth I’d wager I’ve got as much experience driving in major cities across this country as anyone short of a long haul truck driver. Atlanta, Boston, NYC and Houston stick out as the most constantly aggressive cities to drive in. Part of the issue in ATL is, as mentioned above, the DOT royally screwed up the roads which creates many of the problems and likely causes drivers to be more aggressive as they have to make last second multiple lane changes in many cases by design. Its not as though ATL drivers are somehow better or worse, just that the traffic conditions and design of the roads lead then to drive differently.

I-4 around Orlando is busy, but IME simply not the same as the aggressive driving I’ve seen elsewhere.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pale Horse,

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll poke the bear...

I own a Subaru Outback, Ford Ranger pick up, and a BMW 3 series.

Does this mean I am a lesbian (I'm a male married to a woman), a redneck (I only get a red neck if I get a sunburn), and an asshole (I'm only an asshole to someone if they abuse an animal/woman/disabled person).

Stereotypes suck!

Posts: 3695 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:

Does this mean I am a lesbian (I'm a male married to a woman), a redneck (I only get a red neck if I get a sunburn), and an asshole (I'm only an asshole to someone if they abuse an animal/woman/disabled person).

Stereotypes suck!

Well, it depends on what you're driving that day... Big Grin

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Orlando is pretty bad but how many of you have driven in El Paso?

Probably 80% of the people here don't have insurance. Not sure why the vehicle inspection happens here as 50% of the vehicles wouldn't pass due to cracked windshields, bumper covers flopping in the wind, bald tires and such. Plenty of cars with Mexican license plates so you know they don't have insurance, they'll just go back over to Mexico and you'll have no recourse. People here drive shitty cars so they don't care about their cars. Lots of hit and runs here. Then you have people from New Mexico who are even shittier drivers.

Posts: 13041 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:

Stereotypes suck!

Well, it depends on what you're driving that day... Big Grin

Well said HRK - well said.

Posts: 3695 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chicago gives Atlanta a run for its money for shitty drivers. Throw in the added "benefit" of tolls every few miles. Last time I went through the city it cost me 22 bucks in tolls. They charged me to exit to a mall and damned if they didn't charge me coming back as well. That was an extra five bucks on top of an expensive lunch. Next time its red hots at the airport for me.

Posts: 17115 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I learned to drive in NYC/suburbs. I drive a BMW. I drive aggressively, but safely and use my turn signals. I will tell you, Ohio drivers are some of the worst. I get tailgated and cut off daily.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

A daily occurrence in San Antonio, too.

It is the way they merge and enter freeways that scares the shit out of me in San Antonio.

Do they get up to highway speed as they merge? No they do not.

They slow down, or even come to a stop on the entrance ramp, waiting for a long open stretch to come along and then they bring it up to speed in the driving lanes. Or, if they run out of entrance ramp they merge at whatever slow speed they happen to be going, say . . . 35 or 40 miles an hour.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Knoxville is the same. I nearly rear ended a car that was stopped at the end of an entrance ramp. He was not visible until the end. I squeaked by with my small car as there was no way I could stop in time.

Posts: 17166 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

A daily occurrence in San Antonio, too.
It is the way they merge and enter freeways that scares the shit out of me in San Antonio.

Do they get up to highway speed as they merge? No they do not.

They slow down, or even come to a stop on the entrance ramp, waiting for a long open stretch to come along and then they bring it up to speed in the driving lanes. Or, if they run out of entrance ramp they merge at whatever slow speed they happen to be going, say . . . 35 or 40 miles an hour.
I was the # 2 car, on ramp to an interstate. Traffic on the the highway was moderate, so the merge should have been easy.

I was expecting the # 1 car to accelerate and join the highway, so I glanced back over my left shoulder to verify that there was a good opening. There was, I started to accelerate, then looked forward and saw that the # 1 car was treating the yield sign as if it were a stop sign.

I braked hard and managed to stop, just tapping the rear bumper of the # 1 car very lightly. Got out of my car to check with the driver of the stopped car. It was a woman, wearing a low-cut blouse. She had a very ample chestal area, in which the cigarette that had previously been in her mouth was now residing. She refused my offer of assistance.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30533 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“ Do they get up to highway speed as they merge? No they do not.

They slow down, or even come to a stop on the entrance ramp, waiting for a long open stretch to come along and then they bring it up to speed in the driving lanes. Or, if they run out of entrance ramp they merge at whatever slow speed they happen to be going, say . . . 35 or 40 miles an hour.”

Yes you’re absolutely right. Lots of people who don’t have any clue how to merge. Jackasses.

Posts: 26847 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hazards everywhere. Never had the merge issue in rural Wisconsin. No interstate close by. Had the slow go farmer checking out the height of his neighbor's corn. Always around a blind corner. They drove down the middle of the road since there was limited traffic.

Posts: 17166 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Chicago gives Atlanta a run for its money for shitty drivers. Throw in the added "benefit" of tolls every few miles. Last time I went through the city it cost me 22 bucks in tolls. They charged me to exit to a mall and damned if they didn't charge me coming back as well. That was an extra five bucks on top of an expensive lunch. Next time its red hots at the airport for me.

To be clear, there are no tolls in Chicago except for the toll booths on the Chicago Skyway. The ones you went through are all in the suburban areas of Chicago.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the speed of light is faster than the speed of sound, then why did I hear the horn of the BMW driver behind me before seeing the light turn green?

Posts: 5405 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

If the speed of light is faster than the speed of sound, then why did I hear the horn of the BMW driver behind me before seeing the light turn green?
It was not the BMW's horn.

It was the DeLorean that will arrive at that intersection next Tuesday.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30533 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Here in Colorado the driving theory for the front range is as follows.

1. Denver drivers are smart and aggressive.

2. Colorado Springs drivers are stupid and aggressive.

3. Pueblo drivers are just stupid.

Posts: 7502 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have millions of miles under my belt, driving this land from sea to shining sea.

Which state has the best drivers around trucks?

CALIFORNIA!

I know everybody likes to bash CA, but their drivers just get it done. Probably just a lot of experience with heavy traffic.

I won’t really call out any state for worst. Rural states, ironically, are some of the worst around trucks. People drive like it’s THEIR road in rural areas, and don’t really yield well. Also, this isn’t about the drivers per se, but I’m not a fan of Texas’ frontage road / merger stub ramp. It creates a lot of opportunity for conflict with existing traffic.

ATL sucks.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8195 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post