SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Broken glass in the garage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken glass in the garage Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
A week or so ago I dropped a Corona in the garage. (Lesson: evidently I can't carry three in one hand like I used to.)

Blurted out something foul. Picked up squeegee, broom, and dustpan. I figured I was finished cleaning it up, but was certain there'd be pieces showing up later on.

Sure enough! I found the stray teeny-tiny chip this evening.

Where did I find it, you ask? In my bare foot, of course!

"Hey, vthoky, you should know better than to cruise the garage barefoot by now, right?"

Well, yes. Yes, I do. Thing is, I picked up that danged little chip of man-crippling glass in the kitchen! Mad

I figure I tracked it in from the garage sometime over the past week or so, and somewhere between the door and the "kick off the shoes rug," that little chip managed to escape a nice rubber sole and take refuge on the hardwood.

So. After blurting out something foul (again) and being quickly brought to a knee, I hobbled upstairs to get tweezers, glasses, and a small Band-aid. That was all fine until I learned that though I could feel the little shard quite clearly, I couldn't danged see it. Its size and the blood leaking out conspired to create my glass-blindness, for sure.

Furthering the aggravation: each time I thought I had hold of the shard with the tweezers, I'd hear a small crunch. "Oh, great, man. You're breaking the darned thing into even smaller pieces... still in your foot!

So. I hobbled over to the office, knowing I had a good sharp knife there and trying hard not to bleed on the carpet.

Picking this darned chip out was like fishing a splinter out of a finger, only from a way more uncomfortable position and with worse visibility. I did finally remove it. It was about the size of a large grain of salt.

Peroxide, small bandage, and a little more hobbling. Nothing more than irritating overall, but darned irritating for sure.

Re-learning a lesson we already knew: when you think you're finished cleaning up broken glass... you're still not finished.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Shopvac... Final answer.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43809 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Duct tape works like a charm to remove splinters and other small pieces of crap like glass that get stuck in one's epidermis.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last objectionable thing I found in my garage was a rattlesnake. I had some clean-up to do but the snake had a really bad day.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1091 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

When I break something glass, and after the cleanup of the "visible" pieces, I take a flashlight and hold it down just off the floor, shining in all directions. Smaller pieces of glass still there show right up in the light. Still never get them all though, to be found later by bare feet, etc.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
Last objectionable thing I found in my garage was a rattlesnake. I had some clean-up to do but the snake had a really bad day.

I had that experience once. Worked in the garage all day with the overhead doors open. When I came back out there later in the evening, standing at my workbench I heard that scary characteristic sound. I looked down and under the bottom shelf of the bench, not 18" from my leg, was a Mojave rattler. I used tongs to move it to an area where shots would not ricochet, one to the head with .22 shotshell and it was toast.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Buy your beer in cans, pour it into an ice cold glass kept in the freezer inside the house...

No glass shards LOL

Got something in my foot, small sliver, same issue, no longer can pull my foot up to a point where seeing it is easy, did find a shard of something got it out, but, no joy, something still there, wife found another part of it later
seems I didn't get it out completely.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
We had a tempered glass tabletop explode on the back deck today.

Scoop up glass, shop vac, big ass screwdriver to pry decking to allow wedged in diamonds to be vacuumed up. Go over whole deck with floor attach and attempt to pick up shards

Heavy rains forecast this evening, should wash off any shards I missed, I hope.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
We had a tempered glass tabletop explode on the back deck today.

Scoop up glass, shop vac, big ass screwdriver to pry decking to allow wedged in diamonds to be vacuumed up. Go over whole deck with floor attach and attempt to pick up shards

Heavy rains forecast this evening, should wash off any shards I missed, I hope.

I had mine blow off my patio into my grass. My neighbors must have thought I was crazy if they happened to look over and see me vacuuming my lawn. Those things don't shatter, they explode with a very impressive debris radius.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Shopvac... Final answer.

Indeed. Smile

- - - -

ETA: I figure I've fared better with a tiny piece of glass in the foot than I would have if I'd found a rattlesnake. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:

Good lord. !

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I hypothesize that your wife broke something in the kitchen you didn't know about.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife put a pound of frozen ground beef on the glass table in the solarium
on a hot summer day. Shattered into thousands of pieces. Fun to clean up.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post