SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Little black spiders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Little black spiders Login/Join 
posted
I've been in this house for 30 years and see the occasional spider, didn't bother me.
The last few weeks I've squished about 15, picked up my shoe this morning and one crawled out
of it. Now I've had enough. I'm sure they are in the laundry room. Do they have nests? and how would
I find it, or should I just spray the entire room with insecticide.
Any suggestions?

Posts: 1349 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL ^^^^
I knew that was coming.
There was a picture a while ago of a house destroyed,
somebody spray painted on it "Got the spider"

Posts: 1349 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they are about half an inch in size or less, I get them. They leave no webs and generally just stroll around on the walls and ceiling. Until they make the error of coming into reach of my cat, who then swats and eats them. I think mine come in around the pipes for my hot water heating system. They seem harmless enough and the cat enjoys the hunt, so I leave them alone.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16410 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
You need to ask yourself.

What are the spiders eating?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what spiders eat. There is no food from me downstairs.
I'll just spray the whole laundry room. The desk I'm sitting at is right next to it,
might not smell too good.

posted Hide Post
The last time I saw that burning house with the girl it had a caption. It said maybe next time they’ll buy the fucking cookies!

Posts: 1188 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spiders usually prey on other insects...or other spiders, including those of their own species. We've had quite a few more spiders this year; they've probably figured out that our house with its constant flow of little odorous ants (a war that we're always combating) is a great 'cafe' stop for a protein pick-me-up...

-MG

Posts: 2241 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
I have no idea what spiders eat. There is no food from me downstairs.
I'll just spray the whole laundry room. The desk I'm sitting at is right next to it,
might not smell too good.

Get a barrier spray as well, hit the bottom 2 ft of the outside of the house to a foot out in the grass, around windows, wells, openings. Get foam to fill any cracks or openings like around water outlets.

Posts: 24395 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
The spiders are, essentially, free bug-killers running around your house continually eating multiple other unwanted residents.

Those other unwanted residents want to live, in order to reproduce, and if you kill the spiders off so they don't get eaten, those others will repay your removal of their predators by going forth and multiplying, and their census will start growing and growing.

Some spiders have nests, others wander around prowling for food. Guessing since you found one in a shoe, yours are the wandering kind. Better than the web-builders in a sense as those won't make you clean up cobwebs.

Anyway, little black ones (assuming no red hourglasses) wandering around are perhaps better houseguests than the bugs they have been getting rid of for you.

Posts: 15171 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
The spiders are, essentially, free bug-killers running around your house continually eating multiple other unwanted residents.

Those other unwanted residents want to live, in order to reproduce, and if you kill the spiders off so they don't get eaten, those others will repay your removal of their predators by going forth and multiplying, and their census will start growing and growing.

Some spiders have nests, others wander around prowling for food. Guessing since you found one in a shoe, yours are the wandering kind. Better than the web-builders in a sense as those won't make you clean up cobwebs.

Anyway, little black ones (assuming no red hourglasses) wandering around are perhaps better houseguests than the bugs they have been getting rid of for you.

I suppose your right.I do spray Ortho home defense around my foundation and windows. Never really had bug problems,
every few months I see one that's about one and a half inches long and a whole bunch of legs, very fast. I'll leave
them alone unless I get an explosion of more.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28756 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Up6g0SDMJ7A?si=o3TfuJhjUXXME0CX&start=29" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

That freaked me out when I was a kid. The remake with Jeff Goldblum was great!
I'm Brundlefly!

posted Hide Post
Not a Widow. These are a little smaller than a dime, small legs. very fast.
I've read if you live in the southwest never leave your shoes on the floor uncovered.
Put your foot in and there may be a Scorpion in it. Don't think I would like that.

posted Hide Post
Now your freaking me out. Black house spider looks the closest before I squish
them with the heel of my foot. I'm just gonna spray the whole damn laundry room.