SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Plan motorcycle maintenance for what is supposed to be a nasty day and...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plan motorcycle maintenance for what is supposed to be a nasty day and... Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Sure enough, it's beautiful out.

Time for chain and sprockets on the FJ09 @ 18,500 miles. Everything went swimmingly right up until I realized the new chain didn't come with a master link and I don't have one on hand.

And, of course, the local MC shop isn't open on Sunday.

Poop.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
That sucks. My car has been in the shop waiting on a part from Germany for the last 3 weeks. Yesterday, I decided to take the Ducati out for a spin. It’s been detailed and covered for probably the last 6 weeks because of a nagging hip problem. A few miles from the house my speedometer stops working, the check engine light flashes, and now the N light doesn’t come on. Everything feels fine but I opt to take it back home so it can be off to the shop. I swear life just keeps kicking me in the nads. I was so looking forward to a nice long spirited ride.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Around here they aren't open on Mondays, either (to make up for working Saturday).

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
quote:
Around here they aren't open on Mondays, either (to make up for working Saturday).

Seriously? Business is that good for them?

Wouldn't matter around here, there's no inventory anyway. I suspect parts are getting scarce too.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Put the old one back on and go for a putt

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Old one didn't have a reusable master link either, riveted in place.

posted Hide Post
Yep.... The Monday thing is real. And a great business model. Roll Eyes
Excuse given:
Well, we go riding on Monday!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
quote:

Seriously? Business is that good for them?

Wouldn't matter around here, there's no inventory anyway. I suspect parts are getting scarce too.
Around here, all of them are closed both Sunday and Monday. I haven't found an exception yet.

Equally annoying, with the exception of 1, all of them close at 6 PM Tuesday thru Friday. It's as if they don't want customers with jobs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I ended up buying a rivet tool. New chains that I've ordered come with a rivet, o-rings, and a little tube of grease.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In some states motorcycle and auto dealers must be closed on Sundays due to archaic "blue" laws about selling vehicles on the sabbath (I'm not sure why God hates that). So they often do not have a choice about being open on Sunday. This is the law in Wisconsin. My closest Harley dealer is open the other six days of the week. Some other dealers are still closed on Mondays. YMMV. I would have tried my local NAPA if I was desperate for a master link on a Sunday.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
In some states motorcycle and auto dealers must be closed on Sundays due to archaic "blue" laws about selling vehicles on the sabbath (I'm not sure why God hates that). So they often do not have a choice about being open on Sunday. This is the law in Wisconsin. My closest Harley dealer is open the other six days of the week. Some other dealers are still closed on Mondays. YMMV. I would have tried my local NAPA if I was desperate for a master link on a Sunday.

It's the one blue law that I'm ok with in IN. That's when I shop for a car.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The universe is punishing you for selling the XS650. I have four bikes now, so there's always one ready to go.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
The universe is punishing you for selling the XS650. I have four bikes now, so there's always one ready to go.

Big Grin

Went to town today and took care of several odds and ends, including a master link.

Dealer only had ONE clip-style and a handful of rivet style. I took the one clip style he had and will order a couple more on line.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Old one didn't have a reusable master link either, riveted in place.

Been there done that, got the tshirt, lucky for mee the dealers are open every day, most indy shops are closed on Sundays

Heck bet Amazon could have delivered it in a day!

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure enough, it's beautiful out.

Time for chain and sprockets on the FJ09 @ 18,500 miles. Everything went swimmingly right up until I realized the new chain didn't come with a master link and I don't have one on hand.

Poop.

That FJ-09 is a Fun machine.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday was a beautiful day in NE Ohio. Thought I'd get some guys together for a ride. Called five guys, I struck out completely. One guy was already on a ride, one was working on his truck, one got held up at work, and two guys had their bikes down waiting for parts. I didn't feel like riding alone, so it was a Godfather Marathon in the family room.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:

I believe, at least here, that they don't have to be closed on Sunday, just have to be closed 1 day a week. We have a couple dealers here in Houston that are open on Sunday & closed on Monday.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post