SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    DFW, it's gonna last 2 whole days
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DFW, it's gonna last 2 whole days Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
I usually do my weekly grocery shopping at Costco and my local grocer on Mon/Tues night before each respectively closes. I do this to avoid the herd. Had an outage at an office yesterday that lasted into the night to get functional again. Worked my ass off yesterday, very very long day/night. Had to drive into Dallas as my home gym closes at 9pm. So I had to go workout late last night to get it in. The one in Dallas is open until 11pm.

So I told my boss after my morning meetings I was gonna leave the office, grab my groceries, etc. I hit Costco at like 10;30am this morning and it's a got damn zoo. You'd think it was Christmas Eve. Whole parking lot is full. We are expecting teens, and some wintry mix of freezing rain, sleet, maybe snow early tomorrow AM, but get this..... it's going to last 24-48 hours! Fucking 2 days or less! It's looking like it could have even thaw on Friday so perhaps just 24 hours of the shit.

What in the fuck is wrong these jackwagon fuck sticks that live in DFW? Were they just born stupid as fuck? I mean 2 whole days. Try a got damn blizzard in Minnesota or Montana dipshits. I know they deal with it better and it's way longer and more extreme. Costco was out of their branded carbonated water I usually buy so I hit my local grocery store and same thing. There were no shopping carts, zero, to be had. I had to grab the one and only one they had which was that yellow bus shopping cart with two steering wheels for little children to sit in while mommy shops. It's literally yellow, has a bunch of plastic on it with 2 steering wheels. I know people that work at both stores (I'm a regular for 15 years of both) and when asked they rolled their eyes, and said "You should have seen it yesterday, it was worse". I looked at the lady checking me out at Tom Thumb and looked down at the yellow bus and said look at this shit! She just shook her head. These people are got damn idiots and I cannot wait to move rural and get away from all of them, and flee the state.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it's similar down here in Houston, though I don't think we're supposed to get as cold.
I do my weekly run on Sunday morning & try to be out of HEB by noon.

I only had to make a run to the tax office to finally get my car registered. Got there 5 minutes before they opened & there were only 2 other people there. So glad I don't live in Harris county.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I just finished off my last can of coffee from 2000 stock. Big Grin Since it was vacuum sealed, you couldn't tell the difference from a 2022 can opened today.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Well, just remember that they freak out in Minneapolis when it is 94 degrees for three or four days.

Yes, some of us in Texas get stupid when it is going to freeze. I think where I live, the prediction is for 10 or 12 CONTINUOUS hours of freezing weather. The horror. The horror.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have been in the area years ago and you can't drive on ice.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're not sure what's going to happen here in N.E. Ohio but everyone went into panic mode.
Ice/snow storm with varying reports on 5-12".
So that meant go out and clean out the shelves.
Just went through this last week when we did get 12" of snow and within a day and a half, things were moving again.
People are panicky and dumb.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I blame what a local radio host calls the French Toast Industrial Complex.

The local news around here starts hyping snow as if it's never happened here before and we're all gonna DIEEEEEEE and everyone gets in a panic and buys up all the eggs, milk and bread. Roll Eyes

It's a conspiracy! Big Grin

Posts: 33810 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None of this when I lived in rural Wisconsion outside a town of 411. No panicking. A call to the local farmer and the quarter mile driveway got plowed. Carried food, flashlight and knew how to keep warm if you ran off the road. No cell phones back then. Never worried about the food thing and if the power went out had two cords of red oak for the fireplace.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is easy to get the population, which was whipped into mass hysteria with Covid, to stay hysterical.

Celebrate weakness. It is what we are about these days

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Going to be -50f or more (less?) here tomorrow. Need to be a tad careful and maybe wear socks and long pants.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
It is easy to get the population, which was whipped into mass hysteria with Covid, to stay hysterical.

Celebrate weakness. It is what we are about these days

Exactly.
I think a good part of the population waits to be told what to panic about next.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
My wife asked my to grab cat food on the way home, so against my better judgment I stopped at Wally World. There was a woman in line in front of me with 6 gallons of whole milk and a pile of junk food. Shelves were pretty bare and it looked like a mini riot happened.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We went to the neighborhood market for butter and cheese this afternoon.

It was packed but I cannot complain because we were two of those their shopping.

Posts: 1066 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things that always puzzle me:
1) Why buy perishables to ride out a storm? If I didn't already have months' worth of food in the house, I'd buy canned goods.
2) What do you do with all the excess perishables after the storm? You can freeze bread. Milk or eggs, not so much.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It ends up in the landfill or down the drain (spoiled milk). They’re idiots that cannot think rationally.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Hurricane country . I learned many years ago not to let these things sneak up on you . When I see the long lines at the gas station or the grocery stores I just laugh .
And with the supply chain issues going on it's even more important to be proactive .

Posts: 4057 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
Things that always puzzle me:
1) Why buy perishables to ride out a storm? If I didn't already have months' worth of food in the house, I'd buy canned goods.
2) What do you do with all the excess perishables after the storm? You can freeze bread. Milk or eggs, not so much.

Be puzzled no longer!

We'll buy enough perishables to go on living our normal lives without having to go out during or after the storm. We go through a gallon of milk every two days. You know what we call a dozen eggs? Breakfast.

There's no excess perishables because we used them up during the storm and the next few days afterwards.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
My whole front yard is white and it is gorgeous.
I stocked up over the weekend on a few things.
Now I will watch bumper cars on the news... while I work.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you and your family eat a dozen eggs for breakfast either you have a huge family or need a good cardiologist. As for milk I was weened decades ago. Lol

Hysterical people tend to stay hysterical. It’s the karmic law of conservation of emotional energy. Newton’s little known younger brother’s work.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The masses are getting dumber by the second. I went grocery shopping on Monday to avoid the idiots. I knew Wednesday was going to be a cluster.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post