SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Great Big Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie, Two Months Out Of Date
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great Big Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie, Two Months Out Of Date Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I met a wonderful, gorgeous, smart, woman in 1974. We were together for five years and we married in 1979. Second time around for each of us. To add to my good fortune, her "dowry" included two boys.

My younger stepson (younger? He is looking at retiring shortly.) is one of the most generous, thoughtful people I know.

FedEx did a drop-and-run at our doorstep the other day. Flowers from the stepson for my wife's birthday. The bundle of flowers included a small teddy bear holding a great big giant chocolate chip cookie.

The whole thing was evidently ordered through Pro-Flowers, who saw fit to include a great big giant chocolate chip cookie with a freshness date of April, 2021. The package was delivered in June, 2021.

We ate the cookie anyway. If y'all never hear from me again, this might be the reason.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Worth it.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I don't put much stock in freshness dates or expiration dates of most things, especially the dates on honey and spam, two things that never go bad.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't put much stock in freshness dates or expiration dates of most things
I can not argue with you about that.

The thing that struck me though, Pro-Flowers is not inexpensive, and they sent a cookie that was two months past its labeled date. Somebody is not paying attention, either that or they bought a bunch of cookies with expired dates really cheap and they think that the recipients won't notice the date label.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I don't put much stock in freshness dates or expiration dates of most things, especially the dates on honey and spam, two things that never go bad.

Can't remember the source, but read recently that the only thing required to have an expiration date is baby formula.
All others are optional & a best guess/estimation by the mfg.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Can't remember the source, but read recently that the only thing required to have an expiration date is baby formula. All others are optional & a best guess/estimation by the mfg.
That is not the point. Not at all. You are taking this discussion off track.

The point is, with the price that Pro-Flower charges, it is not OK to send a food item with a very clear date that is two months old.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Let them know and give them the opportunity to send you another cookie. Maybe the replacement will be fresher, maybe not. Smile

Posts: 1126 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was like beer and it was a born on date. Wishful thinking.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let them know and give them the opportunity to send you another cookie. Maybe the replacement will be fresher, maybe not.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think this is the best option. We did that with a flower arrangement and although it did not have an expiration date, a clear picture of the wilted flowers did the trick.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some years back we rescued a small dog that had run away from a farm a couple miles away. The owners stopped by a day or two later with a store-bought fruit basket to thank us, and after they left we noticed the fruit was mouldy on the underside (where they couldn't see it).

We let it go, not wanting to embarrass the dog's owners over something that was not their fault.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
Not much pride taken in work these days.

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’m finding a lot of things that are past their expiration dates now. Mainly sauce cups or packets from restaurants. My assumption is that due to the shutdowns over the last year these companies, who normally use up stock of the extras long before the expiration dates, are using older stock stuff that had already been shipped and have now been sitting for months. They don’t check because it’s never been an issue in the past.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
You are taking this discussion off track.

Were the flowers fresh? Date on them? Edible? Smile

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do some people think food becomes a deadly poison the day after the exp. date? Quality may suffer some but exp.and sell by dates are a CYA for the mfg. There was a show on tv where guys ate exp.foods including c rations from WW 2. with no ill effects. A bit extreme but makes a point. I have constant (discussions) with the dreamsmasher on this issue! Maybe exp. food will kill me indirectly!

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do some people think food becomes a deadly poison the day after the exp. date?
That is NOT the point of this thread.

If Pro-Flowers is going to include a cookie at the high prices that they charge, the cookie should NOT be two months past its expiration date.

This is about what the paying customer receives, not about whether or not a cookie that is clearly labeled as two months past its date is safe to eat.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes for what was paid for that, getting an expired cookie is not acceptable. Those flower delivery companies are anything but cheap. Probably $100 order

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Sorry for skewing things off topic.

I do agree, never had the best of luck with PF.
If I'm not sourcing locally, it's Farmgirl Flowers as my go-to.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I've never seen anything nice come from those big online flower places.

Better to just go local, if you are trying to get something to someone in another city you can look up the best rated local florists and just contact them direct. Always have great results this way.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Hey V-Tail,

Hope you get it worked out. Like others, amazed this didn't get caught by the Quality people before it was shipped to you.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
Let them know and give them the opportunity to send you another cookie. Maybe the replacement will be fresher, maybe not. Smile

Hopefully they won't ask for the old cookie back Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Why do some people think food becomes a deadly poison the day after the exp. date?
That is NOT the point of this thread.

LOL, you've been here long enough to know eventually any thread will get a response that has doesn't fit with the point of the original post, it's inevitable! Big Grin LOL

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post