SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Suggest a good meat thermometer please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggest a good meat thermometer please Login/Join 
posted
I’ve had both a ThermoWorks Thermopop and a ThermoPro digital instant read thermometer over the past couple years. Both worked great when initially bought but within a year both had simply stopped working. The ThermoPop won’t turn on at all (yeah, I’ve changed batteries). The ThermoPro displays 4 dashes with no temp read out. The user manuals are useless as to troubleshooting. I’ve used the ThermoPro as recently as a couple weeks ago, and now?, nope.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Thermoworks is about as good as it gets. You got a bad one it happens. Try their MK3 I have two of them and they have been solid.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call and talk to Thermoworks, I bet they can help.

I had some issues with my Thermapen when it was well out of warranty and they took care of them.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I have a ThermoPro TP-19 instant read. It's about 3 years old, works great, and would heartily recommend that model to you.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
We've been pleased with both a DOT (bought in 2015) and Dash (bought 2 years ago) from Thermoworks.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Call Thermapen.

I have a Thermapen that became inop. It was out of warranty. They replaced it for $25.

Talk to a Live Person

ThermoWorks
741 E. Utah Valley Drive
American Fork, UT 84003

Call us: 1-800-393-6434
Fax: 801-756-8948

PHONE SUPPORT HOURS

6am – 7pm M-F, 8am – 5pm Saturday, MT

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was at Lowes and came across that TP-19 and it definitely looked like an upgrade from my original so I bought that. I will also call customer service as I only bought mine within the last year and hoping they’ll send me a replacement. Don’t want to get caught short again in the middle of grilling some pork butt!

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
^^^I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. Best thermometer I’ve ever bought.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I heard about the Thermopen here, it's been one of the biggest expenses outside of guns that have resulted from being a SF member. We give them as gifts for weddings, birthdays, etc. Still have two Mk4's we bought on sale, waiting for the occasion where a gift is needed that says "I'll bet you didn't know you needed this...but you soon will!"

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I heard about the Thermopen here, it's been one of the biggest expenses outside of guns that have resulted from being a SF member. We give them as gifts for weddings, birthdays, etc. Still have two Mk4's we bought on sale, waiting for the occasion where a gift is needed that says "I'll bet you didn't know you needed this...but you soon will!"

Thermopen is a game changer. I am now spoiled. I don't think that I could do much cooking/ grilling/ smoking without it.

Posts: 3201 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now I have me a free replacement for my non-working Thermopen. Tks to that call to customer service. That, plus the new TP-19 I just picked up and I should be squared away! Tks SF!

Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Nice. Yes Thermapens are great. I have several and give them as gifts.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Icestud
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Meater, I've been pleased with mine

Posts: 78 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Called Thermapen on Monday am, rec’d brand new one Tues about noon via Fed Ex! Unbelievable service.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I use a MEATER

Typically not one for techno-gadgetry in la cocina - but it’s very good and simple.
Bluetooth both food and ambient temps to calc duration to your target temp. Great for resting too.

Ymmv

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I use a MEATER

Typically not one for techno-gadgetry in la cocina - but it’s very good and simple.
Bluetooth both food and ambient temps to calc duration to your target temp. Great for resting too.

Ymmv

Got my husband one last year- his bday, or Xmas, Father’s Day..can’t remember. I hate to say it, but I don’t think he’s used it once.
I’ll have to dig it out and give it a try.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
My MEATER block showed up this week. Going to use it for the first time this weekend.

My relative has had one for about a year and has been very happy with it.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I use a MEATER

Ymmv

Got my husband one last year- his bday, or Xmas, Father’s Day..can’t remember. I hate to say it, but I don’t think he’s used it once.
I’ll have to dig it out and give it a try.

Each time I use it, I appreciate it more and more.

Curious what you think.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Taylor set from Costco. $20. One instant read, one meat thermometer (leave in roast while cooking type), one shelf or oven thermometer.

I’m really happy with the instant read. It works quite well and is calibrated the same as my other thermometers. So it is nicely accurate out of the box.

Same with the shelf thermometer.
The meat thermometer still has yet to be used.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
Called Thermapen on Monday am, rec’d brand new one Tues about noon via Fed Ex! Unbelievable service.

I knew they had that reputation...
That kind of service is rare but not unheard of. I have received the same great service from Milwaukee and Dyson. Things break... but that kind of service buys my loyalty.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post