SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Random Obituaries
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Random Obituaries Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I always wondered at what age do you start reading obituaries. Now that newspapers are rare where do people find them to read and why is it so interesting. If it’s someone you know well enough to attend their funeral don’t you find out they’re dead before the obituary is online.

There are still a lot of newspapers in print as well as online.
People move around a lot so some of your friends may not be local. Two of my best friends passed away this past year. You regret not taking time to pay them a visit.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Since many of these are Entertainers ~ it might be nice to contain those in the LAIR.
Seems appropriate to me and respectful of their past in an area dedicated to such.
However, seems EVERYBODY puts EVERYTHING in the Lounge. Confused

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Sorry, no. We just need to be more selective about posting such things. We're not setting up a funeral home in the forum.

Now the funeral directors on the forum will have nothing to do..

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ ^
That's OK. You guys are greatly esteemed here. We know you'll be the last ones to let us down. Razz

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Maybe have a thread on 'funny' obituaries?

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
^^^

Sine Ima passed away in his sleep last Wednesday night.

Owner of many theaters and a drive-in.

Viewings will be held Friday at 12:30pm, 2pm, 4:30pm, 7pm, and 9:30pm.

Refreshments provided.

Posts: 9141 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm always pleased when mine isn't in the paper yet.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Beagle:
I'm always pleased when mine isn't in the paper yet.

That's always an indicator you'll have a good day.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wrote a list of my final wishes for my wife to follow . One of which is NO Obituary . My family and close friends will know I'm gone . Everybody else can go to hell .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
It is always interesting to read obituaries that summarize the person's work history. There are some great people that got little recognition for what they did in life.

I worked with a guy that claimed he was responsible for the internet there by stealing Al Gore's thunder. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The obits in Time Magazine were amazing. Richard Corliss could really write. Sadly he is now deceased. Here is a sample:

Jerry Garcia: The Trip Ends

“Most Dead fans have not turned themselves into career pilgrims. They go to Dead shows for good music and a great time. The older among them were kids of Garcia’s generation, and in the ’60s they enjoyed watching him living out their adolescent dream of cool: playing guitar, traveling the world, doing dope. Then, as these Boomers faced up to middle age—working hard and working out, with only the occasional nostalgic joint at a Dead show—they could also see Garcia mature and decay. They were Dorian Gray, and he was the picture. His belly ballooned; his skin was looser; his hair turned a ratty touch of gray. He looked as if he existed on peanut butter and peyote buttons.

If life is indeed a song, then Garcia and most of his older fans played it in different styles: studio version and free-form concert improv. Because the fans learned to play life straight, they will get by. Because he saw life as a long jam session leading to harmony or anarchy, he died—long after he might have, long before he should have. But as a force for good music and good vibes, Garcia can go to heaven and keep on truckin’. Like the song says, he will survive.”

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post