SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Damn expensive Yamaha R1 battery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Damn expensive Yamaha R1 battery Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted
I had the Yamaha on trickle charge for the past week. Started up with fresh gas. Went for a quick ride to the gas station. Tried to restart after fill up. The dreaded, uggg....ugg.ug...
Pushed it out of the gas station--across a busy street--to the Yamaha dealer. Jump start. Searched high and low for the battery. Stupid compact, sealed battery...$169 @ the dealer.
I remembered the last time the battery died--very compact and expensive battery.

Posts: 2298 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Back when my wife and I were riding, batteries for the BMWs were expen$$$ive.

One of the guys in the local BMW club had a machine shop. He made mounting adapters that let us use the much more affordable Die Hard lawn tractor batteries.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30629 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10051 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I don't think that's a lithium battery just a sealed AGM.
Africa Twin comes with a lithium battery and I've heard a replacement is close to $300!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7061 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my Harley Fatboy battery died, I took it out and went to my local NAPA dealer. He had me a new one overnight for 105.00. It was an AGM battery.

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The battery in my S1000XR went tits up.
BMW Dealership cost to replace: $180
Online battery cost for battery with same specs: $79

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16054 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The battery in my S1000XR went tits up.
BMW Dealership cost to replace: $180
Online battery cost for battery with same specs: $79

Plus how much in shipping?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Batteries Plus always sold me bike batteries at a good price.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just beware of motorcycle batteries made in China.

POS leak.

BTW, German battery for 2015 BMW R1200R, dealer installed, was close to $200.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my battery from Battery Mart. Shipping was free.

Posts: 16054 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fleet Farm for my Harley batteries. Just bought one last week for $85.

Posts: 2474 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Batteries in general have gotten expensive. AGM seems to have really jumped up and Lithium is just still high.

Posts: 3901 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
The battery for Super Tenere is like 130.00. I put a lithium in the BMW and it was pushing $200. They definitely are not cheap, Tenere eats a battery every couple
Of years.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also get two years out of a battery. And I even remove my battery during winter to keep it in heated storage. I think the combination of heat and vibration works to kill motorcycle batteries.

posted Hide Post
Lithium batteries require a special charger so if you're trying to charge a Lithium battery with a standard charger it won't work. Other than being lighter in weight I don't see any real benefit to Lithium batteries over standard batteries. I ride a 2020 GSA and saving 5 lbs on a battery is totally meaningless on a 560 lb bike. If you tracking your bike and trying to shave a few 10ths of seconds off your time I can see where 5 lb weight savings would be beneficial.

Posts: 1623 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I shop pretty carefully and the 225 cold cranking amp battery for my bike is $100. Yours is probably around 300 and if installation wasn't free, you at least didn't get raped, especially if they sold you an OEM battery or a Yuasa.

I'll guess if this repair causes you to post here, your bike has been amazingly reliable and you've never had any major repairs at a dealer. I'll take this complaint as a testimonial to the reliability of the R1.

My buddy was riding some gnarly poor condition roads on his sport/touring BMW, and a friend of his with the same model, told him he might want to quit doing that, the front shock is $3000.

Posts: 7447 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I keep one of the smaller (not as many CCA's) little lithium jump starters on my KLR just in case the battery dies. Handy because it doubles as my phone charger. Been more use as a jump start to others than myself as my cheapo Amazon AGM battery has been going strong for 3 years now.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
Lithium batteries require a special charger so if you're trying to charge a Lithium battery with a standard charger it won't work.

So the charging system in your bike, that is perfectly fine charging a lead acid battery, needs replaced when you put a lithium battery in it???

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I buy my batteries off Amazon for like $30-$50. They work pretty good. I change them every 2 years, whether it needs it or not. I keep the brand new battery in my primary bike, and then I put the used 2 year old batteries in my generators, 4 wheelers, lawn mowers, all my other small engine stuff, gets the gently used battery. And then I take my oldest battery in the garage (5 years or so) and use that as my core battery trade in next time I need a battery.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post